Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First event with Dry sump C4

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First event with Dry sump C4

As some of you know I finished my build of a 476RWHP LT4 last year with a dry sump setup that I fabbed up (one of those "that sounds like a fun challenge" projects). I finally got the car on the track this weekend since last year was out due to a broken foot

I ran Autobahn this weekend with the Northwoods Shelby club. A great bunch of guys who treated me as one of their own even though I didn't have a Ford

Saturday was on the North track which was drenched pretty much all day. It was actually good for me since I wanted to take it easy the first day anyway to work out any mechanical issues with the new setup. Fortunately the only mechanical issue was a loose battery cable that welded itself to an O2 sensor while waiting at a red-flag for the crew to move another car. It happened late in the day so we were able to fix everything early Sunday morning.

Sunday was on the South track which was dry all day and very nice by the afternoon. I switched to a set of used Kumho 710s just before lunch (first time running them). I'm happy to report the car held up very well. I was driving it very hard but still finding a good line as it was only my second time on the track and the first with this setup.

Ambient temp later in the day was about 70. Oil temps stayed right at 226 (oil cooler with a 215* thermostat). Coolant temps stayed at 210*-215* with a griffin alum rad, stock 180* thermostat and Meziere HD electric water pump. I was pleasantly surprised that the EWP had no trouble keeping up. The only other issue I had was with a MAF code which was causing it to run very rich on Sunday with a bunch of missfires, but that shouldn't be a hard fix.

The dry sump worked perfectly. Rock solid pressure throughout and no leaks. I did end up spitting some oil out the breather due to oil level being a little too high, but once we figured out the proper level, it was fine.

I ran 1:41-42 with light traffic (no clue how bad that is as we weren't really out for times or comparing). The car has a lot more in it, but unfortunately the driver needs a lot more work!

All in all I was very happy with the new setup and the event. I'll be running with the same club at Road America this summer.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:42 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Congrats, that was alot of work.

Quick Reply: First event with Dry sump C4