Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Wheel(s) suggestions...

Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Default Track Wheel(s) suggestions...

I have been wanting to get a good set of wheels for my 2008 Z06 that will double as street and track wheels.

I visit the track maybe 5 to 8 times per year and drive my car to the tracks. I plan on using Nitto NT-05 tires on these new wheels.

I have always wanted to buy CCW 505a wheels but wanted to hear from others if they think they are a good wheel for the track also.

The CCW's are forged.

While at the track a couple days ago I was runnig down a 911 Turbo and was all over him through a series of 4 turns. On a hard right hander while I was about a car length behind him, his left rear wheel exploded. It was an OEM Porsche wheel.

THIS incident has made me really think again about what I buy and prompted this post.

Any advice on wheels would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
I have been wanting to get a good set of wheels for my 2008 Z06 that will double as street and track wheels.

I visit the track maybe 5 to 8 times per year and drive my car to the tracks. I plan on using Nitto NT-05 tires on these new wheels.

I have always wanted to buy CCW 505a wheels but wanted to hear from others if they think they are a good wheel for the track also.

The CCW's are forged.

While at the track a couple days ago I was runnig down a 911 Turbo and was all over him through a series of 4 turns. On a hard right hander while I was about a car length behind him, his left rear wheel exploded. It was an OEM Porsche wheel.

THIS incident has made me really think again about what I buy and prompted this post.

Any advice on wheels would be appreciated.

Thanks
I'm sure the 505's are built tough enough to work. However they will weigh a lot more than some better offerings they have. For track use, I advise that you look at their Corsair models or the Classics. Between those two, Corsairs are stronger but Classics are lighter.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:00 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

http://www.forgeline.com/

Take a look at above site.

Also, I don't think guys spend enough time inspecting their car, including a good inspection of the wheels prior to an event.
Not saying that is what happened above but a very good inspection should be routine for everyone.

Good luck on your wheel search
Old 05-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I wouldn't run 505as on track... they're a flashy street wheel. I'd get some T10 or T14s
Old 05-14-2009, 10:59 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by WNeal
http://www.forgeline.com/

Take a look at above site.

Also, I don't think guys spend enough time inspecting their car, including a good inspection of the wheels prior to an event.
Not saying that is what happened above but a very good inspection should be routine for everyone.

Good luck on your wheel search

I wash & inspect b4 each use.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:32 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I saw that Porsche get towed back while I was in line waiting to go out.

Glenn I wouldn't limit yourself to a wheel you can use for both. Swapping out wheels isn't bad to do yourself and the tool you need for the TPMS can be had for about $100 at Tire Rack. I have one and it works like a charm, I've used it on my vert, my Z and my brother's GMC Acadia.

The other advantage to swapping wheels is having the no-spare comfort of the runflats for street use while you can go with a more aggressive tire for track days, maybe even go 18's all around. I've offered my use of my lift and that includes for swapping wheels!

Sumpthin to think about anyway.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:56 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't go wrong with CCWs. They're awesome guys to work with.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Glenn I run ccw classics for my track wheels. I like the fact that it is a 3 pc wheel and I can replace portions if needed. That being said I replaced the centers this year because they were really showing age.

Btw after doing this for sometime I always inspect my wheels before heading to the track, at the end of the day and a quick checks throughout the day. It has literally save me and potentially others 1000s of dollars.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I use CCW C10's for dedicated track wheels as do many of the Corvette racers I know. CCW wheels are top quality, made in the USA and you can't beat those guys for service and advice. I stick with what works well and that's CCW.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
I saw that Porsche get towed back while I was in line waiting to go out.

Glenn I wouldn't limit yourself to a wheel you can use for both. Swapping out wheels isn't bad to do yourself and the tool you need for the TPMS can be had for about $100 at Tire Rack. I have one and it works like a charm, I've used it on my vert, my Z and my brother's GMC Acadia.

The other advantage to swapping wheels is having the no-spare comfort of the runflats for street use while you can go with a more aggressive tire for track days, maybe even go 18's all around. I've offered my use of my lift and that includes for swapping wheels!

Sumpthin to think about anyway.
I've been all over this for years now.

If you want to carry my 4 tires for me, (2 345/30x19's and 2 285/35x18 Hoosiers) to the track every time we go, I'll get them.
Until I can trailer my car to the track, I have to track the same tires I drive TO the track on.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Thanks to all who have replied. All these replies are good info and I appreciate them ALL.

Bob, in case you didn't know, I'll be at VIR for the NCM event this year. I'm finally making it down this year.

ALSO, I DO safety check my wheels and every other part of my car all the time.
The car goes to Phoenix Performance after every other track day for a head to toe gong over by the professionals too and it gets aligned every Spring.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:25 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I've been all over this for years now.

If you want to carry my 4 tires for me, (2 345/30x19's and 2 285/35x18 Hoosiers) to the track every time we go, I'll get them.
Until I can trailer my car to the track, I have to track the same tires I drive TO the track on.
Not trying to beat the dead horse, but just for the sake of clarity I wasn't suggesting the use of pure race tires that you couldn't use on the street. Just one set of wheels & tires for use on track days that you CAN drive to the track & back and then swap back to your "every day" wheels when you get home. While I don't know you well Glenn I know you well enough to have figured you'd put some thought into it.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Glenn, I have the 505a's and I've used them a few times on the track (see sig pic below), I usually only use them if the track is wet and I want the tread from my street tires. What I can tell you is they are a B***c to keep clean, the polished aluminum is not an easy thing to keep clean, but if you dont mind the maintenance, they are a great wheel and have held up for me, the plus is they are the BEST looking tire for street use. I was one of the first few 505a owners, I have now had mine for about 6+years.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
Not trying to beat the dead horse, but just for the sake of clarity I wasn't suggesting the use of pure race tires that you couldn't use on the street. Just one set of wheels & tires for use on track days that you CAN drive to the track & back and then swap back to your "every day" wheels when you get home. While I don't know you well Glenn I know you well enough to have figured you'd put some thought into it.
THAT'S EXACTLY what I'm doing. New wheels as suggested in the origional posting above and the Nitto NT-05's that are a good tire for this dual purpose (Track/Street)

Originally Posted by GettReal
Hey Glenn, I have the 505a's and I've used them a few times on the track (see sig pic below), I usually only use them if the track is wet and I want the tread from my street tires. What I can tell you is they are a B***c to keep clean, the polished aluminum is not an easy thing to keep clean, but if you dont mind the maintenance, they are a great wheel and have held up for me, the plus is they are the BEST looking tire for street use. I was one of the first few 505a owners, I have now had mine for about 6+years.
Thanks!!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:08 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Call John at CCW, he can point you in the right direction for what you want to do. JD
Old 05-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Thanks to all who have replied. All these replies are good info and I appreciate them ALL.

Bob, in case you didn't know, I'll be at VIR for the NCM event this year. I'm finally making it down this year.

ALSO, I DO safety check my wheels and every other part of my car all the time.
The car goes to Phoenix Performance after every other track day for a head to toe gong over by the professionals too and it gets aligned every Spring.

Unfortunately we opted out of VIR to go to Road Atlanta this year.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:29 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Call John at CCW, he can point you in the right direction for what you want to do. JD
I've been using CCW's at the track and on weekends with Hoosiers and have had zero issues. They are also pretty popular so should be easy to sell when the time comes.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Wheel(s) suggestions...

Old 05-14-2009, 06:35 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Ccw

Last edited by ghoffman; 05-14-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

If I had the money I would go CCW hands down.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:10 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Wheel(s) suggestions...