Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the guys who drive their cars to the track

Old 05-11-2009, 05:46 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for the guys who drive their cars to the track

What do you do with your stuff? Camera, floor mats, cooler, etc.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:55 PM
no spin
Instructor

Folding chairs, luggage, cooler, tools etc. just gets setup behind where I park my car. Nobody bothers it. If someone is there with a trailer I know I try to park near them.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

put everything in big plastic storage buckets. put the buckets into your car to drive to the track, then pull the buckets out at the track

take a small plastic trap with you too. Stake out claim to the paddock area, near someones trailer is great way to make friends too.

paddocks are quite safe, heck just about everyone there is tracking.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

10x10 Ez-Ups fit in the trunks of C5 verts and C5 Z06s
Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
put everything in big plastic storage buckets. put the buckets into your car to drive to the track, then pull the buckets out at the track
Yup! I've tried to keep my promise to myself of driving the Corvette to and from the track and this is exactly what I do. And I usually beg/borrow a jack if I need it -- they're always a bunch around and pretty much everybody is willing to lend or help if you're with a good crowd!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Originally Posted by gkmccready
Yup! I've tried to keep my promise to myself of driving the Corvette to and from the track and this is exactly what I do. And I usually beg/borrow a jack if I need it -- they're always a bunch around and pretty much everybody is willing to lend or help if you're with a good crowd!
Two of these Rubbermaid bins fit in the back of a C6 Coupe:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...=HPProd2936118

They are watertight but might need a weight on top to keep the lids from sailing if you don't latch them.

Bert
Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Those of us with trailers are always willing to help with jacks and tools and the occasional quart of fluid. (This comment is null and void if the trailer owner is driving a Porsche. )

Enjoy yourself and make new friends!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:21 PM
JaGsC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
What do you do with your stuff? Camera, floor mats, cooler, etc.
Just like the others said.

You get a big plastic tub and throw all your junk in it.

Then,

You buy a tire trailer with a bigger plastic box attached to it. Then put even more stuff into it along with the other plastic tubs you have with you in your car.

Then,

You sell your tire trailer when you find a great deal on an 18 foot open deck trailer to haul your car on and still put all your stuff into the plastic tubs which are still in the back of the car. More stuff can be put into the bigger box which is fastened to your trailer. You then put all the remaining stuff into your S-10 Blazer.

Then,

You find the S-10 does not tow the trailer to good so you purchase a full size Chevy crew cab pickup. You still have the plastic tub in the car. The box on the trailer and the entire back of the pickup (which you have to purchase a deluxe cap for).

Then,

You find a great deal on a 24 foot enclosed trailer. You still have the plastic tub in the car. The pickup is filled with all kinds of goodies and you have even more space to fill now that you have an enclosed trailer.

You'll thank me later! Forget the plastic tub!

Buy a cool truck (they are cheap now) Then get the biggest enclosed trailer you can find.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I finally bought an auto trailer but when I used to drive my car to the track I never had a problem leaving stuff on the pavement where I parked (even overnight when I stay at a hotel). I used to pack all my 'car' stuff into a large plastic container, bring my chair, ice chest, duffle bag, etc. At the tracks and different organizations I race with I've never heard of anyone having anything stolen.

Use your good judgment...if you think there's a reason to secure your stuff, figure out a way to do so.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:56 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I finally bought an auto trailer but when I used to drive my car to the track I never had a problem leaving stuff on the pavement where I parked (even overnight when I stay at a hotel). I used to pack all my 'car' stuff into a large plastic container, bring my chair, ice chest, duffle bag, etc. At the tracks and different organizations I race with I've never heard of anyone having anything stolen.

Use your good judgment...if you think there's a reason to secure your stuff, figure out a way to do so.

I've been to several tracks for several years. I've never had anything stolen, or even heard about it happening.

I have had stuff blow away several times. Put something heavy on top of the light stuff, or keeping it in plastic bins works too. If there's a chance of rain, you will want a small tarp to cover the stuff.

Don't bring a ton of stuff, especially if you're a first-timer. (You don't know which stuff you' might need, so you'll probably bring some of the wrong stuff.) Anything you bring has to be unloaded when you arrive and reloaded when you leave. Veterans don't expect newbies to be properly prepared, so we are happy to lend them whatever they may need. Borrowing tools is a great way to meet new friends.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The 12 X 12 pop up from Wal-Mart (on line) and the big plastic container compliment the 22' trailer. Everything stays pretty dry or cool (under the pop up) and doesn't get lost.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com
Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

You can carry them, you just have to play the consolidation game.

I was able to carry the following this past Friday

2 305/30/19 tires
Sears Low profile 2 ton jack
Helmet
Clothes/Luggage/Laptop
Toolbox (pack in a box)
Spare parts (pack in a 20 qt bin)
Another 20 qt bin with fluids and all the extras, sits inside the 19" tire in the trunk
Misc items in another 20 qt bin that contains personal stuff like registration, owner's manual
Cooler for food and drinks
1 Gallon of spring water
I carry enough in the car to be able to do everything I want to do without any extra help.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmak26b
You can carry them, you just have to play the consolidation game.

I was able to carry the following this past Friday

2 305/30/19 tires
Sears Low profile 2 ton jack
Helmet
Clothes/Luggage/Laptop
Toolbox (pack in a box)
Spare parts (pack in a 20 qt bin)
Another 20 qt bin with fluids and all the extras, sits inside the 19" tire in the trunk
Misc items in another 20 qt bin that contains personal stuff like registration, owner's manual
Cooler for food and drinks
1 Gallon of spring water
I carry enough in the car to be able to do everything I want to do without any extra help.
I always add a 5th of single malt scotch to help embellish the stories after the day is done
Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I get most of my stuff into 1 tub. Jack, stands, impact wrench, tool kit are all in carrying case. I also bring 2 tarps. I try to park next to someone who has a tent or enclosed trailer in case it does rain. I probably bring too much stuff, but you never know. Most of the people there are just like you and would share whatever you might need.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:26 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i just put it all on the ground, by the end of the day the space gets so filled up, people start parking farther and farther away. which works great since by the time brake rotors crack i have plenty of space to work. i usually lose a few things here and there... don't be like me and use them plastic boxes, so when i cannot find my 15mm wrench (because i put it down to hold down my hat on the last day), I can borrow one from YOU
Old 05-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

JaG,
Have you been spying on me?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JaGsC5
J
You'll thank me later! Forget the plastic tub!

Buy a cool truck (they are cheap now) Then get the biggest enclosed trailer you can find.
Ain't this the truth

Get notified of new replies

To Question for the guys who drive their cars to the track

Old 05-12-2009, 08:55 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

You guys are great! Thanks for the advice. I understand having the enclosed trailers and all the goodies that you can take with you. I am trying to get away from that. I used to dirt race and got tired of having four sets of wheels and tires.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Radguy
Racer

If you can afford it and if it's available at the track you're going to, rent a garage. Didn't the first time at VIR--rented a garage the 2nd time (NCM event). Boy, what a difference that made!!
Now, if the track has them, we always try and rent a garage if they are available.

Jonathan
Old 05-12-2009, 09:57 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I tried driving the car to events; not really satisfactory. I then bought an enclosed trailer and diesel truck:; towed nicely but trailer was barely minimal and the mileage sucked....10mpg. I then bought an open aluminum trailer and camper top for my GMC. I am now happy. I simply put my accessories in plastic bins in the back of the truck, strap my car on the trailer (which is easier to do now) and truck on down the road getting 14.5 to 15.0 mpg. I put a checklist in each bin so that I know at a glance I am ready to go!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for the guys who drive their cars to the track