Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minimum tread depth for street tires on dry track?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:26 AM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Minimum tread depth for street tires on dry track?

My current track tires are Falken RT-615s on stock Z06 wheels, 255/55 up front and 315/30 in the rear. My tread is wearing very quickly and I wanted to see if there is a minimum depth I need to keep before they are "worn out" for use on a dry track.

I would think that tread depth doesn't matter if the track is dry, as long as cords aren't showing. There would just be more contact area as the tread wears - but are there any other considerations that I'm not thinking of? The tires are about 6 months old, kept in my garage in tire jackets when not in use. I don't want to replace them if I don't have to but I do want to be safe of course. They have 3 events and maybe 2000 street miles on them.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

as long as they are not corded.

Many times the best street tires are at the wear bars.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
as long as they are not corded.

Many times the best street tires are at the wear bars.

I'ved tracked on some tires I'd NEVER use on the street
Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It's not the tread depth that's important, it's the age of the tire. Rubber hardens with age so if the tire is old and worn it will be worse than a tire that is worn out yet newer.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:57 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
It's not the tread depth that's important, it's the age of the tire. Rubber hardens with age so if the tire is old and worn it will be worse than a tire that is worn out yet newer.
If the tire is fresh and not too heat cycled a worn tire is fine at the track. I threw away a 4 year old set with hardly any wear this month off the Mustang race car...track pads (from a tracked vehicle) had more grip
Old 03-13-2009, 03:17 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by varkwso
If the tire is fresh and not too heat cycled a worn tire is fine at the track. I threw away a 4 year old set with hardly any wear this month off the Mustang race car...track pads (from a tracked vehicle) had more grip
Whoever posted this message is an imposter...the real Varkswo would never throw a tire away...he'll just get it hot enough to melt and then it will have grip, a trick he learned from watching funny cars run 1/4 mile!!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:41 PM
dbirdz06
Le Mans Master

I thought it was 3/32".
Old 03-13-2009, 06:31 PM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Originally Posted by dbirdz06
I thought it was 3/32".
There are exceptions!! haha. I was just asking to see if wear would hinder grip at the track. They're still doing well but wearing fast so I wanted to be sure.

Last edited by NewFoundPower; 03-13-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Some street tires have an "undertread" that is used in the carcass that doesn't have much grip. The tread face has the rubber in it that has grip, the undertread is slippery. The undertread is stiffer and stronger to make the carcass work right, but it doesn't stick worth a darn.

If you can see a color change to a slightly blacker tread coming thru then the tire is not going to work well. I am seening it on the stock OE Goodyear F1's so they are done, but they are also pretty near cording FWIW....
Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 PM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Originally Posted by Solofast
Some street tires have an "undertread" that is used in the carcass that doesn't have much grip. The tread face has the rubber in it that has grip, the undertread is slippery. The undertread is stiffer and stronger to make the carcass work right, but it doesn't stick worth a darn.

If you can see a color change to a slightly blacker tread coming thru then the tire is not going to work well. I am seening it on the stock OE Goodyear F1's so they are done, but they are also pretty near cording FWIW....
That sounds like what I probably should have asked in the first place. So as the tire wears the rubber grip changes (on some tires)?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is 4 years the limit for a street tire on track? I have some front's I'd like to use for 1 last event that will just turn 4. They are only used for track days & garage kept.

I hate to throw way tires.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by NewFoundPower
That sounds like what I probably should have asked in the first place. So as the tire wears the rubber grip changes (on some tires)?
Right, if you can see the carcass rubber the grip will fall of pretty quickly. On some tires the way the tread is molded pushes the undertread up into the tread for a distance. The designer is trying to get more stiffness in the tread blocks and that makes the tire more respnsive and less likely to chunk because the undertread is stiffer and makes less heat, so the original tread can be deeper and not chunk.

On those tires you will see the color change in the surface of the tire and it will look like a shadow of the original tread, even though the original tread is gone or nearly gone.

I have seen this on some Bridgestones, but it was a good while ago and I forget which ones they were.

Other tires don't have as much of an undertread compound difference and you can run those tires down to the cord and they will work until you blow them out.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:58 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Is 4 years the limit for a street tire on track? I have some front's I'd like to use for 1 last event that will just turn 4. They are only used for track days & garage kept.

I hate to throw way tires.
It really depends - a durometer is the best way to tell. A 4-5 year old tire really serves best as a swing in the back yard or a planter in the front yard at Falcon's mobile home park. They will take a while to come to grip and will fade fast once they do.

After tapping the armco at Barber due to trying to get the last bit of tire life, and not driving the tire I had on the car, I realized I did not have the maturity needed to run crappy tires anymore

V8Juice - I still run most of them to cord....
Old 03-14-2009, 05:59 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It really depends - a durometer is the best way to tell. A 4-5 year old tire really serves best as a swing in the back yard or a planter in the front yard at Falcon's mobile home park. They will take a while to come to grip and will fade fast once they do.

After tapping the armco at Barber due to trying to get the last bit of tire life, and not driving the tire I had on the car, I realized I did not have the maturity needed to run crappy tires anymore

Is there a durometer tester? At least w/ fronts I would induce more understeer. Usually w/ a Z06 it's oversteer due to poor throttle management that gets you in trouble. I wouldn't even consider running anything over 3 yr on the back.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:35 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dbirdz06
I thought it was 3/32".
I thought most inspections for the track require 3/32" but I do think the less tread the better on a dry track as long as there is no cording, of course more tread the better on a wet track. Maybe the 3/32" requirement is just in case of a wet track.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 AM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Originally Posted by USA1C5
I thought most inspections for the track require 3/32" but I do think the less tread the better on a dry track as long as there is no cording, of course more tread the better on a wet track. Maybe the 3/32" requirement is just in case of a wet track.
I was on a wet track with these tires when they still had right at 3/32" left, and it was enough to keep me from doing that again. I thought cold was bad but wet is a whole different ballgame. Not for me!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I am cutting up old tires with a sawsall to make a back stops for target practice

Get notified of new replies

To Minimum tread depth for street tires on dry track?

Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Yes and no. Keeps the club safe and to make sure your tires are not corded.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:38 PM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Great timing on this thread...As I have the same question on my specific tires, Nitto Extreme RII- they are down to the wear bars-but only a year old manufacture... are they safe for running say the ROVAL here in Fontana ?
Or any track for that matter--I was going to save this set for local- so no far driving to and from the track-
Old 03-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The usual rule is 2/32 which is the legal minimum tread depth in a lot of states. It is also easy to check since the wear bars are set to show a tell tale at 2/32. That way you don't need a tread depth gauge. All the inspector has to do is look at the tire.

Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Minimum tread depth for street tires on dry track?