Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 piece rotor fastening schemes?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default 2 piece rotor fastening schemes?

I need some information on how the various brake manufacturers are fastening the rotor to the hat. In particular I'm interested in what you guys have seen and experienced with designs where the bolts thread into the hat. I've seen some bolts safety wired and others not. For the ones that aren't I wonder how they are securing the bolts considering the different expansion rates of iron and aluminum. Surely just a lock washer won't do it? It looks like a lot of Wilwood kits use a bolt threaded into the hat but they aren't safety wiring them. Any insights? One reason I bring this up is that I see the thread in this section for C3 rotors with aluminum hubs. The photo of those shows button head screws and no safety wire so I wonder about them. How are things secured on your brakes?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Hello?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

usually then entail an oversized hole on the rotor (either just larger than the bolt, or slotted), and washer that is slightly bowl shaped, and they are torqued very low, allowing the washer to act as a spring increasing the applied force between the rotor and hat.

The rotors I've used recommend using green loctite to help secure the bolts to the nuts, so they are tight enough to hold everything secure, yet not so tight that the componenets can't grow individually.

I would think you could find some drawings via google photos....
Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks David. That is interesting that a belleville washer is used as well as loctite. Green is the highest temp stuff but it only works to 450 deg F. I've been looking for photos and haven't found much that depicts that area. Wilwood sells bolts with and without lock wire holes and one set actually has split lock washers. Hmmm.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Here is the Stoptech page http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/ro..._manuals.shtml
Old 03-12-2009, 12:04 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I am getting very reluctant to post any detail design features on forums these days, since once I do, it shows up on other company's products. I will say, Loctite is worthless in general, but completely useless in a high temp environment. Call me and I will be happy to let you know how we do it, with no threads in the hat, no threads in shear, and no safety wire.
Gary
Hardbarusa.com
603-682-8073

Get notified of new replies

To 2 piece rotor fastening schemes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 piece rotor fastening schemes?