Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotor hone

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Brake rotor hone

Has anyone tried these? It is just like a ball hone for cylinders but for rotors, just to get the crud off of them, especially with transfer pads like PFC's.
http://www.brushresearch.com/pdf/Full20CatalogNo19.pdf
go to page 11
Old 03-05-2009, 09:36 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've tried them before with limited success, it's tough to get a uniform finish on them, I perfer the 3M scotch pads.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:51 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,395 Likes on 748 Posts

How do you think these will work with getting the pad deposits off the rotors? Also, do you think this would work to remove deposits that cause brake pulsation (don't have much expectation in this area).

Or are these really just to put a non-directional pattern on an turned rotor?

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-05-2009, 10:22 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I've tried them before with limited success, it's tough to get a uniform finish on them, I perfer the 3M scotch pads.
I've had a machinist friend do rotors for me a few times. He throws them on his lathe and uses an angle grinder with a scotch brite pad. It cleans them up, removes any high spots, and leaves a great non directional finish.

Dog
Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
How do you think these will work with getting the pad deposits off the rotors? Also, do you think this would work to remove deposits that cause brake pulsation (don't have much expectation in this area).

Or are these really just to put a non-directional pattern on an turned rotor?

Have a good one,
Mike
The 3M scotch pads will take the pad deposits off of the rotors and as long as the rotors are not warped the only reason for the brake pulsation would be uneven pad deposits. I've also seen this happen often when people switch pads on a rotor that was bedded in with a different compound. If you change compounds you should clean the rotor face and re-bed the rotor. From my experiance the 3M pads work best for this.

Joel
Old 03-05-2009, 10:48 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have used the Scotch brite as well, but I am looking for something that will work at the track if necessary with a cordless drill. When I am at the shop, I put the rotor in my giant old (1967) LeBlond lathe and the angle die grinder with the Scotch brite works well. This thing is cheap, and I at least want to try it with the Milwaukee cordless dril. BTW, I got this old, but perfect lathe for cheap, because it was being replaced by a CNC lathe. It is huge, (like 2000 pounds) had a quick change tool holder with lots of carbide and ceramic tools in about a dozen tool holders, 3 chucks, 2 faceplates, taper attachment, quick change all-gear drive, coolant setup, etc. You can get these old, but perfect machine tools cheap because everybody wants CNC stuff.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't this hone or cleaning process recommended when ever you change brake pad compounds? I just swapped the OEM pads for Hawks on my Z06, so should I do something like this?

What is the Scotch brite? I know the small scrubbing square but sounds like you are using something on a rotary tool?

Get notified of new replies

To Brake rotor hone

Quick Reply: Brake rotor hone