Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day rotors for C6 Z51: low cost alternatives to napa rotors + caliper brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Track day rotors for C6 Z51: low cost alternatives to napa rotors + caliper brackets?

Hi folks,

I'm going to be buying a spare set of track-day rotors and pads for a two-day HPDE event at NJMP this spring. I'm running my 08 C6 Z51 and will be swapping back to my stock pads / rotors after the event.

I've known about the NAPA rotors for a while, but have recently seen a post or two that low-cost alternatives to the NAPA rotors are available in standard Z51 size, eliminating the need for the bracket change.

Can any of the track-day regulars chime as to whether this is true and, if so, what brand and part number they're using?

Thanks!
Scott
Old 03-05-2009, 09:28 PM
jadkins
Intermediate

I am also running a 2008 z51 with - non-z51 brackets and the cheap rotors. I ran all last season 9 events on the C5/standard C6 rotors (several sets) - but have also heard about those Z51 size "cheap" rotors - but have yet to see them. I am also running 17x11 A-Mold wheels SQUARE - which require the smaller rotors. But it would be nice to run the larger rotors if they were in the $29-50 range like the C5/standard C6 rotors.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:26 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not seen "cheap" Z51 sized rotors. VectorVette has some 2pc rotors in the right size, though.

I don't know how much Gene Culley has the Z51 rotors for, but I think the local dealer listed them at $89ea? That's the stockers... drilled...
Old 03-07-2009, 09:18 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I have not seen "cheap" Z51 sized rotors. VectorVette has some 2pc rotors in the right size, though.

I don't know how much Gene Culley has the Z51 rotors for, but I think the local dealer listed them at $89ea? That's the stockers... drilled...
Thanks for the input-- was hoping to find non-drilled varieties similar to the napa rotors in both durability (good) and cost (very low) to save me the additional step having to swap brackets when I change rotors.

If anyone else has seen something along these lines do chime in, OTW I'll be getting a set from Gene.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-07-2009, 09:53 AM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Brembo has the Z51 sized rotors non drilled, but it is $130.

I think online C6 OEM Z51 rotors are $120.

I got about 6-8 track days on my OEM rotor before the cracks became so deep that it is a concern
Old 03-07-2009, 12:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Honestly, I just run the C6 base rotors all the time. I thought I'd swap the brackets back and forth, too, but got tired of it pretty quick even though you have to remove them to swap the rotors... it was just one more thing to keep track of which wasn't worth it.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:11 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Honestly, I just run the C6 base rotors all the time. I thought I'd swap the brackets back and forth, too, but got tired of it pretty quick...
So base C6 rotors work with the Z51 calipers without a bracket swap?
Old 03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NOSLO6
So base C6 rotors work with the Z51 calipers without a bracket swap?
No. I swapped to the base C6 brackets and just left them on the car. I never put the C6 Z51 brackets on any more...

Get notified of new replies

To Track day rotors for C6 Z51: low cost alternatives to napa rotors + caliper brackets?

Quick Reply: Track day rotors for C6 Z51: low cost alternatives to napa rotors + caliper brackets?