Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riley Rechnology and GM in dispute...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Riley Technology and GM in dispute...

Here's the aticle from the Charlotte Observer this morning.

A Mooresville company has sued General Motors for almost $14 million, saying the automaker broke a deal that would have allowed the plaintiff to sell souped-up Corvettes for more than $500,000 each.

Last edited by Falcon; 03-04-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

what a mess..........I wonder what kind of "deal" Callaway has to sell the FIA GT3 Z06's in Europe????? If this is all about certification for the sanctioning bodies' sake, they should approve BOTH companies and let the free market decide.

I had hoped to try and get a job with Riley some day.....got any friends over their Jody??
Old 03-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
what a mess..........I wonder what kind of "deal" Callaway has to sell the FIA GT3 Z06's in Europe????? If this is all about certification for the sanctioning bodies' sake, they should approve BOTH companies and let the free market decide.

I had hoped to try and get a job with Riley some day.....got any friends over their Jody??
Nope. There's a poster here on the forum, T L Gunman, who either works there or knows them real well. Maybe he has an inside connection.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

The FIA only recognizes one builder for each FIA class. Callaway IS the GT3 approved builder that was approved by GM.

Riley was to be the FIA approved builder in GT2, and that is why I bought a Riley with my life savings.

I was the one in the article when the Belgium buyers were in Riley's conference room with their check book out ready to buy my car and another new car from Riley.

The GM Press release stating that "only Pratt would be the approved FIA homologated Corvette in GT2", came out while we were in the meeting and the Belgium guys put their check book away and walked.

And this year for LeMans, we were an inch away from an official acceptance then the ACO guys left Charlotte and went to see GM's new GT2 car, where they learned of the Riley lawsuit, and our entry was totally scrapped.

Keep in mind that the only reason I bought a RIley car was because GM's Wesoloski told me that the Riley car would be the official GT2 builder, then about 100 billion in losses later, Corvette racing had to drop to GT2, and they threw Riley, LG Motorsports and me under the bus. GM stopped Michelin from selling me tires this year because "GM wanted to keep total control of the GT2 tire development, without the LG car involved." So Michelin pulled back and will not sell us tires.

GM also said that they can not effectively lobby for "performance Waivers" with the ACO if the LG car is doing well, so they kept us off Michelins, and would rather that we just go away.

With friends like that............

LG

Sorry for the rant.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
The FIA only recognizes one builder for each FIA class. Callaway IS the GT3 approved builder that was approved by GM.

Riley was to be the FIA approved builder in GT2, and that is why I bought a Riley with my life savings.

I was the one in the article when the Belgium buyers were in Riley's conference room with their check book out ready to buy my car and another new car from Riley.

The GM Press release stating that "only Pratt would be the approved FIA homologated Corvette in GT2", came out while we were in the meeting and the Belgium guys put their check book away and walked.

And this year for LeMans, we were an inch away from an official acceptance then the ACO guys left Charlotte and went to see GM's new GT2 car, where they learned of the Riley lawsuit, and our entry was totally scrapped.

Keep in mind that the only reason I bought a RIley car was because GM's Wesoloski told me that the Riley car would be the official GT2 builder, then about 100 billion in losses later, Corvette racing had to drop to GT2, and they threw Riley, LG Motorsports and me under the bus. GM stopped Michelin from selling me tires this year because "GM wanted to keep total control of the GT2 tire development, without the LG car involved." So Michelin pulled back and will not sell us tires.

GM also said that they can not effectively lobby for "performance Waivers" with the ACO if the LG car is doing well, so they kept us off Michelins, and would rather that we just go away.

LG

Sorry for the rant.

GM's behavior is reprehensible. I want our $30 billion back.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Nope. There's a poster here on the forum, T L Gunman, who either works there or knows them real well. Maybe he has an inside connection.
I work at Riley.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:38 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Should make the trip to Callaway Corvettes this weekend interesting
Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Damn politics... and politicians.

Sorry you got caught up in that mess, Lou.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Bret01Z06
Burning Brakes

LG

Sorry for the rant.
That blows Lou, is your car still legal to drive for GT2 this year?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Should make the trip to Callaway Corvettes this weekend interesting
Reeves Callaway will be in Raleigh NC latter this month
Old 03-05-2009, 07:10 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
GM's behavior is reprehensible. I want our $30 billion back.
you may get it soon if they are deemed not viable by the feds the accountants already deemed it true.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

LG

Sorry for the rant.

Makes you want to go race another mark...Lou G the Porsche driver...does not sound right, but it might get you what you need.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

LG

Sorry for the rant.
WOW - Thats a bummer..

Lou,
does that mean your GT2 Riley car is pretty much useless? or can you run it in other events?!?!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

this is really the kind of stuff that can wreak havoc on teams and series'. An IMSA official told me about how GM built the P&M Cadillacs for their series, but when the ACO officials saw it they refused to allow it simply because it was a 4-door. So, they took the car to World Challenge, even though pretty much every componenet was illegal by then-current WC standards (channeling the body, rotating the trans so that it wouldn't drag the ground, etc).

You ask GM or SCCA Pro, they'll deny the car was built for ALMS/ACO racing, but I believe the story I was told. It didn't help that they had Dave Spitzer calling little guys like me throwing threats arround if we dared try and be competitive in our little Corvettes.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:09 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

LG

Sorry for the rant.

You`re just paying the price for being successful and making GM look bad, you are also paying the price for being a racer and not a politician (like Doug Fehan)...after the way GM has treated you in the past is this really a surprise?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:39 AM
BAMbrick
Racer

That's BS!!

Man... I really feel for you Lou, that is heartbreaking!

I could never get into politics, i would feel too dirty with the type of that is delivered WAY too often.

To say the least, I'm pretty pissed at this whole situation. I'll be rooting for you all the way Lou.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 PM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great way to repay someone who has raced for years in a GM brand; Camaro, Corvette, etc!

In other news, GM down 17% on the day down to $1.82 a share at time of writing:
http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:GM

Last edited by jhester; 03-05-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Riley Rechnology and GM in dispute...

Old 03-05-2009, 02:14 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bret01Z06
That blows Lou, is your car still legal to drive for GT2 this year?
My understanding is that since the Riley GT2 was homologated under the current ACO/IMSA regs, it is legal for the remainder of the year
Old 03-05-2009, 02:37 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
this is really the kind of stuff that can wreak havoc on teams and series'. An IMSA official told me about how GM built the P&M Cadillacs for their series, but when the ACO officials saw it they refused to allow it simply because it was a 4-door. So, they took the car to World Challenge, even though pretty much every componenet was illegal by then-current WC standards (channeling the body, rotating the trans so that it wouldn't drag the ground, etc).

You ask GM or SCCA Pro, they'll deny the car was built for ALMS/ACO racing, but I believe the story I was told. It didn't help that they had Dave Spitzer calling little guys like me throwing threats arround if we dared try and be competitive in our little Corvettes.
Your theory is certainly plausible, given Caddy's previous involvement in the LMP class, the introduction of the prod. CTS-V in '04, and the fact that the "funny cars" would not be competing directly with Corvette in GTS/GT1.

They could have been building it with the anticipation that it would be accepted under IMSA's "GT2S" class, like the BMW M3 GTR, which allowed mods outside the existing GT2 regs.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:45 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my take and I will just throw it out.

The article says that GM was going to make right on the situation even though the agreement has been reached yet. My opinion, if I were sold a car with the promise that it was to be the official homologated car...when the builder finally receives compensation for it's damages from GM, part of that money, should be passed on to it's customer's that purchased said vehicles. I am not a lawyer, but if Riley is awarded a settlement, part of that settlement should include the refund of the purchase price of the car (at minimum).

Quick Reply: Riley Rechnology and GM in dispute...