Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's an alignment worth - lap time

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 PM
tracjunkie914
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what's an alignment worth - lap time

assuming same variables (tires/brakes/driver), on a typical 1:20-1:40 track, what's a good guess on how much lap time a good alignment is worth (-2.5 degree front-1.5 rear) vs a factory C5Z alignment? ball park? .5 sec? 3/4 sec? 1 sec? 2 sec?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Its hard to say since the starting alignment as well as other things are not known.

Bill
Old 03-02-2009, 06:51 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

not a lot....maybe a second, but your assumptions are part of the problem. More grip NEEDS more camber, so you have to balance the alignment to the tire. If you go to a sticky tire withough more camber, you'll go much faster, BUT the outter edge of the tires will be destroyed in no time if you don't balance the alignment to the grip.

Running -2.5/-1.5 on stock cars won't really help over a stock alignment that much....on it's own.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:00 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should gain around $5.00 per lap.

Dean
Old 03-03-2009, 01:03 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

STOCK ALIGNMENT TO AGGRESSIVE ROAD RACER ALIGNMENT.. A FULL SECOND EASILY HAUL ***!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:52 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

GRM occasionally has articles where they iterate the camber settings on a car to optimal ...
Last year or so they set up a C5 FRC autox car - don't recall whether they did an article but I'll bet they did some tests ...
Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

Not course related, but in a roughly 50-60 second auto cross course an alignment was worth an easy second, if not more. Unfortunately without instruments on track and a rack it is hard to back to back this, but pretty widely agreed upon that alignment is third behind seat time and R compounds (at least in my circle /shrug)

A worthwhile investment for HP driving.

Fej
Old 03-03-2009, 07:46 PM
R Mackow
Racer

-1.5 front -1.0 rear, BFG KDs netted me .8 t0 1.0 seconds better time over stock C5 setting(-.6, -.4) + Kumho MXs.
Have been on V710 or A6 for 2 years now.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:00 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, don't know my starting point, but after two years on track, over 40 days at various
tracks, I finally got what was described at the race shop as a mild street/track alignment
and corner weighted. I think the starting front settings were under -.5 on either side
and I always ran street tires, either GY SC or Kumho MX's. Off the machine it ended with
both at -.9 in the front, btw, on a C5 coupe I think -.7 is max stock range. I'm sure the
corner weighting had significant impact as the car was much more balanced on track as
well as, I'd call it nimble. My next outing was at Buttonwillow which I only did about 2/3
times per year but usually the same configs from prior year, new config each day with Speed
Ventures. My times were 2 to 4 seconds faster and one of the guys that I previously
waved by regularly, was surprised that I was keeping up with him. Only one data point
and not meaningful given different conditions, but it made a huge difference in my car.
Randy
Old 03-14-2009, 03:59 PM
ROBERT@SS
Advanced

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
GRM occasionally has articles where they iterate the camber settings on a car to optimal ...
Last year or so they set up a C5 FRC autox car - don't recall whether they did an article but I'll bet they did some tests ...
They did a good alignment article about a year ago on their Mini, not that I'm interested in Minis, but it was a great article detailing alignment changes by eliminating variables, and then showing when they finally got past the point of what would be considered the best settings for that car. Of course many adjustments would be made from there because of different driving styles, tracks, etc. but if I was a Mini guy i would've definitely used that article's spec as a baseline. Unfortunately I haven't seen them do much of anything with their FRC, but if they did one of these detailed write-ups on their car I'd like to see it.

Get notified of new replies

To what's an alignment worth - lap time

Quick Reply: what's an alignment worth - lap time