Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an Accusump desirable for C2 autoXing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:38 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,031 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Default Is an Accusump desirable for C2 autoXing?

My new 327 for my 67 convertible will be done next week; nothing radical, maybe 350 HP at the flywheel. I use the car for general cruising (as far as Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore) and around a dozen autocrosses a year. A fellow autocrosser recommended adding an Accusump to my engine to prevent oil starvation under hard braking. I already have a 62-65 Vette trapdoor oil pan and a 6-quart system, with windage tray. I run in a stock class with skinny 205/50/15 DOT 150 tires, so I wonder if such a low traction potential deserves adding an Accusump. I'd appreciate any suggestions based on experience. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:59 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

In my opinion, Autocrossing should not be an issue for the C2 oiling system. However, Racetrack usage, with sustained high G loading such as from race tires, particularly on a banked track, will strain a stock oiling system, and should require an Accusump system. It also provides additional oil for heat removal, which is not an issue for Autocross. An Accusump also provides pre-oiling for a cold engine prior to engine start.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 AM
autox_vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a high volume oil pump? You might be able to get by if you have a stock oil pump.

I would start with adding a shift light wired to a oil pressure switch threaded into the oil galley. If you are loosing enough oil pressure to turn on the light, then you have a problem.

I lost an engine in a C3 BSP car due to oil starvation, so I am very sensitive to the problem. I ended up with a 7qt Milodon RR pan and a 3 quart Accusump, and I could still occasionally loose oil pressure (though some of that is the fact that the only pickup that I could get to go with the Milodon pan was a high volume pump). From what I was told, the biggest problem is that at high RPMs, high volume pumps pumping the oil to the heads faster than it could drain back so you end up with all of your oil in the valve covers where it doesn't do much good....
Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,031 Likes on 1,250 Posts

I'll have a standard-volume oil pump. My opinion is that my car can't corner hard enough to need an accusump for that aspect of autox. My braking is great for a C2, but not like a modern Vette, so I'm counting on the trap-door oil pan to take care of keeping the oil around the oil pickup. Max rpm will generally be around 6,000 as the most, so nothing sky-high.

Originally Posted by autox_vette
Do you have a high volume oil pump? You might be able to get by if you have a stock oil pump.

I would start with adding a shift light wired to a oil pressure switch threaded into the oil galley. If you are loosing enough oil pressure to turn on the light, then you have a problem.

I lost an engine in a C3 BSP car due to oil starvation, so I am very sensitive to the problem. I ended up with a 7qt Milodon RR pan and a 3 quart Accusump, and I could still occasionally loose oil pressure (though some of that is the fact that the only pickup that I could get to go with the Milodon pan was a high volume pump). From what I was told, the biggest problem is that at high RPMs, high volume pumps pumping the oil to the heads faster than it could drain back so you end up with all of your oil in the valve covers where it doesn't do much good....

Get notified of new replies

To Is an Accusump desirable for C2 autoXing?

Quick Reply: Is an Accusump desirable for C2 autoXing?