Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAPA rotors, which ones??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default NAPA rotors, which ones??

I'm going to buy a cheap set of rotors for the track I'll be going to Spring Mountain next week. Napa has 3 to choose from. Like $110 each is out, $45 each, or $22 each(surely chineese). Which should I buy for the track? TIA
Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

All the NAPA rotors are Chinese ! the expensive ones are drilled / slotted -- no way. The $45 ones are exactly the same rotor as the $22 one except that the hats and radial edge of the rotor are painted black. I had 2 cracked ones and the local store owner had the NAPA rep stop by to view the crappy product. I ended up with a replacement set of fronts free. My preference is the cheapest - take a set of spares ! Be sure to properly cool them down after each session and you will minimize cracking.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
All the NAPA rotors are Chinese ! the expensive ones are drilled / slotted -- no way. The $45 ones are exactly the same rotor as the $22 one except that the hats and radial edge of the rotor are painted black. I had 2 cracked ones and the local store owner had the NAPA rep stop by to view the crappy product. I ended up with a replacement set of fronts free. My preference is the cheapest - take a set of spares ! Be sure to properly cool them down after each session and you will minimize cracking.
Thanks! Now I just need a set of pads and almost ready to go!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:02 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I usually buy OEM rotors cheaper off of other forum members when they go for bling instead.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 PM
klasik-69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheap rotors !! not worth the savings, especially if one cracks and flies apart. I can see buying cheap underwear, cheap shoes, maybe a cheap pair of gloves.............but cheap brakes

OEM rotors, or better yet, DBA 4000 slotted rotors ($147 each), and you'll find they're actually cheaper in the long run, and you won't be hyperventilating while on the track worrying if you mailed in your life insurance premium. I've attended level I and II schools at Spring Mountain. The track is demanding if you drive it aggressively, heavy braking coming off the straight. Don't cut corners with brakes.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:30 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheap Napa works for me. I can melt the rubber off the boots without cracking the rotors. Proper cool down lap, and move the car in the pits after stopping for a minute or so, and they work great.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Cheap NAPAs (or cheap anybody's) work as well as anything on the track. Take your cool down lap without touching the brakes and after you pit move the car about a foot every couple minutes or so for a little while to keep section of the rotor that's inside the caliper from remaining too hot while the rest is cooling.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheap napas work for me! I have been through many sets!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 AM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll be headed tomorrow to Napa to get the $22ea. rotors and some dot 4 brake fluid. Now if I could just find a good set of used track pads, I'd be good to go. I can't wait for my first time at Spring Mountain!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:37 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could someone post the PN for the cheap $22 rotors?
I'm going to be installing my cooling ducts in the next couple weekends before going to LIghtning and I'd like to replace my blingin drilled/slotted/vented rotors.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:02 AM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
could someone post the PN for the cheap $22 rotors?
I'm going to be installing my cooling ducts in the next couple weekends before going to LIghtning and I'd like to replace my blingin drilled/slotted/vented rotors.
I will be getting them later on today. I will let you know the part #'s.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spiral04
I will be getting them later on today. I will let you know the part #'s.
I passed on these and am going to get my feet wet first at the track before doing anything else. Thanks for the help!

Get notified of new replies

To NAPA rotors, which ones??

Quick Reply: NAPA rotors, which ones??