Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA seat belt ???

Old 02-18-2009, 07:44 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SCCA seat belt ???

Hi all,
Just sifting through the new gcr(9.3.18) and looking for a replacement for the outdated seatbelts in the racecar. Does anyone make a belt that meats the FIA 8854/98 or 8853/98 with the HANS friendly 2" shoulder belt? Where do I get'm
Old 02-18-2009, 08:35 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet these guys do: http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/r...ess/index.html

I love my Jet Pilot. Comfiest harness ever!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

thanks for the reply,but I do not see any of the certifications I am required to comply with
Old 02-18-2009, 09:58 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Call or email them. I'll be surprised. If not, find a Willans dealer (Pegasus stocks them)... I'm sure they're FIA.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Moss
Racer

There is a retailer of performance parts in Livermore CA that has what you need. I will PM you the info since I'm not sure I can mention someone who is not a forum sponsor.. Steve and Momty are great guys to deal with and they are also a HANS dealer.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by L98 DRIVER
Hi all,
Just sifting through the new gcr(9.3.18) and looking for a replacement for the outdated seatbelts in the racecar. Does anyone make a belt that meats the FIA 8854/98 or 8853/98 with the HANS friendly 2" shoulder belt? Where do I get'm
Have you tried a HANS friendly belt? I know a few people that still prefer the wider belt with a HANS. That's what I run (not because I preferred it, but because I never changed over) and it doesn't bother me.

There aren't any safety reasons to go with the smaller belt, simply comfort.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't, only that you don't have to.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

You're not restricted to only the FIA belts - SFI certified belts are acceptable in SCCA-land, as well as FIA-listed belts.

Schroth makes a nice HANS-compatible harness. Google HMS Motorsports and call them...talk to Joe, he's a wealth of knowledge (real knowledgible knowledge, not "internet knowledge" !)

Many of the belt systems carry both SFI and FIA tags. That's what I always buy. Why ? Because SFI only certifies belts for 2 years, while the addition of the FIA tags give you 5+ years (end of the 5th year of purchase) before they "expire".

HANS user here for 8+ years. Taken multiple big hits...offset crashes, direct-hit in the front, side whacks...and never had a 3" belt slip off the HANS (I race SRF and Spec Miata, in addition to big boomy stuff, and those two classes can be crash-fests).

JW (aka DK)
SCCA Nat'l racer / Steward / occasional Scrutineer

Last edited by Don Keefhardt; 02-19-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

Originally Posted by Don Keefhardt
You're not restricted to only the FIA belts - SFI certified belts are acceptable in SCCA-land, as well as FIA-listed belts.

Schroth makes a nice HANS-compatible harness. Google HMS Motorsports and call them...talk to Joe, he's a wealth of knowledge (real knowledgible knowledge, not "internet knowledge" !)

Many of the belt systems carry both SFI and FIA tags. That's what I always buy. Why ? Because SFI only certifies belts for 2 years, while the addition of the FIA tags give you 5+ years (end of the 5th year of purchase) before they "expire".

HANS user here for 8+ years. Taken multiple big hits...offset crashes, direct-hit in the front, side whacks...and never had a 3" belt slip off the HANS (I race SRF and Spec Miata, in addition to big boomy stuff, and those two classes can be crash-fests).

JW (aka DK)
SCCA Nat'l racer / Steward / occasional Scrutineer
hey JW/DK
I did not see the FIA rating on the schroth's website I'll look again.
newQueston I have the new style HANS with the ears on the pads. Do you or anyone else have experience with this and the 3" belts?

Just bought the thing cause I'm going from SSC to AS and not wanting to go the way of the black #3

DG, part time racer, full time track *****
Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is an FIA approved harness:

http://www.polepositionusa.com/produ...point-1766.cfm

not exactly bargained priced....

This one is about half as much with shipping:
http://www.motorsportsupplies.com/sh...&productId=101

Last edited by Tintin; 02-19-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

Steve, do you live here or what?
I'm thinking the FIA belts are 1/3 more in price and last 2X as long.
It's a no brainer as far as this budget minded racer is concerned.
On another note I'm also lookin at an FIA seat. I like the sparco circuit, but I'd like other's opinions.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Steve, do you live here or what?

On another note I'm also lookin at an FIA seat. I like the sparco circuit, but I'd like other's opinions.
I am not sure what you mean?

I can go talk to the guys at Pole Position tomorrow if you want and see if you can get a better deal on the Sparco seats. They are only about 12 blocks from my Palazzo...
Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

I mean, I post You reply, 2 years later, I post You reply. Ya know You are all most up to John Shields status. (I'm sure he does live here)
Anyway, This low buck racer will take any deal that comes his way.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Keefhardt
I agree call HMS and talk to Joe Marko. He is a Schroth Harness expert and is familiar with their FIA products. He has introduced Schroth harnesses to the NASCAR people and a lot of the top drivers use them now. The web site URL is: http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/schroth-competition

Bill
Old 02-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I bet these guys do: http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/r...ess/index.html

I love my Jet Pilot. Comfiest harness ever!
My Jet Pilot expired and had it re belted (and re certified) by Crow Enterprises for much less than the cost of a new set
Old 02-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

I did not see the FIA rating on the schroth's website I'll look again.
They don't list them individually, but I think I can assure you that their HANS-compatible 2" belts are FIA/SFI listed.

newQueston I have the new style HANS with the ears on the pads. Do you or anyone else have experience with this and the 3" belts?
My HANS is the old style, without the turned-up lips. I use 3" shoulder belts (G-Force FIA/SFI...because I'm cheap and have to put belts in 4 race cars) and have never had a problem with them staying on the HANS. Proper mounting of the shoulder anchors, correctly spaced behind the seat, is critical. Had a HUGE wreck at the Mosport SCCA Nat'l this June...ended up waaaay up in the air...Formula Atlantic guy said he went underneath me while I was still climbing...and subsequent hard landing and oblique impact into the armco didn't dislodge anything. Yeehar. FYI...what everyone says about "flying" a race car is true...it gets really really quiet while you're airborne.

Just bought the thing cause I'm going from SSC to AS and not wanting to go the way of the black #3
Old SSC guy myself. Won a bunch of 24 hour and 12 hour races in a couple of SSC Nissans. It's nice having a heater and stereo at 3am when it's cold and dark outside.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA seat belt ???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCCA seat belt ???