Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Functional rear deck-lid C5 spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:25 AM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Functional rear deck-lid C5 spoiler?

Katz's book on aerodynamics has convinced me of the merits of deck-lid spoilers. Can anyone recommend an one? I'm thinking around 1" to 2" in height (which may not even add drag to the car) would work well, though I'm not sure if there if any way to know without wind tunnel testing?

I'm hesitant to pay $700 for something I could make myself for far less, though I'd be willing to spend more if it actually made the car look better (I'm expecting most functional spoilers to be hideous).

I don't want to mess with wings or anything too serious, since I already have a car with significant downforce. My C5 isn't my primary track car, but I'd like a bit of high-speed understeer to keep me off the wall.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by GrantB; 02-12-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd consider a specterworks rear fascia or a ACP rear fascia they have like a duck tail that replaces your rear fascia already and has it built right in so it dosen't looke like you added it or if you did your body man did a awesome job at molding it in.

I have a Spoiler from MSI that is bolted on it's similar to one Craviago and ACI sell. but theres are Stick on i wanted one that was firmly attachted. Fit and finish isn't bad and took minimal body work to match up well.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:45 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

you can get an aluminum "brake" from harbor freight and bend one up for next to nothing. Depending on your skill and patience, you can make it look as nice as you want.

Spoiler are certainly effective, but are much less effective than wings. If you just want to stabilize the rear a bit, then you'll be happy. If you ever do any frontal aero work (splitter, vented hood, etc), then you'll need a wing. Spoiler generate more drag and less downforce than wings, in general. However, spoilers stack air over the entire rear of the car, spreading the downforce across the entire car, instead of just direct to the mounting point (like a wing would). In other words, a spoiler can add small amounts of downforce to the entire car, whereas a wing behind the axle will actually cause lift on the front of the car (due to leverage).
Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 PM
GrantB
Racer

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
you can get an aluminum "brake" from harbor freight and bend one up for next to nothing. Depending on your skill and patience, you can make it look as nice as you want.
I have no fab skillz. Anything I make will look hideous.

The most aero work I'd do to the front is a vented hood.

97C5inSD, I wanted to avoid buying an entire rear fascia. The gains aren't worth that much to me.

Last edited by GrantB; 02-12-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:32 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what I ran on my car until I did the front of the car and a wing.

I may have an extra that I could sell. Mounts to where the rear facia mount under the deck lid. You have to had a couple of holes on that ledge to add more support.

Definitely made an improvement in rear stability. Lexan helps so that you can see through it with the rearview. The lexan piece is the easy part to make and can be made in various hieghts to change how much force is being made. The mulit-contoured aluminum channel that the lexan bolts to is a real PITA to make and where most of the time is consumed.

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 02-13-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:51 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Did anyone else see the rear wing on Amy Rumans GT1 car at the SCCA nationals snap off the car? As soon as the wing left, it (the car) rotated and did a couple of 360's. Pretty cool to watch the affects (or lack thereof) of rear downforce. It must be tremendous.

Last edited by sperkins; 02-13-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:15 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Did anyone else see the rear wing on Amy Rumans GT1 car at the SCCA nationals snap off the car? As soon as the wing left, it (the car) rotated and did a couple of 360's. Pretty cool to watch the affects (or lack thereof) of rear downforce. It must be tremendous.
Any video of this?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:36 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Similiar to the ACI/MSI. I have the Caravaggio one that is stuck on using 3m industrial tape. Been on there 5 years and its NOT going anywhere... tested all the way up to as fast as my car goes

I also have the Caravaggio small front canards, not that these ones do a ton, but I believe being on the front and back they do just what you might want at really high speed. Heres a side view

Last edited by GettReal; 02-13-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
Any video of this?
I looked earlier, but didn't find anything. I had it recorded on my DVR and watched it last night. It was a great race with a Corvette beating a Mustang by .009 sec. at the line.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:04 AM
GrantB
Racer

RAFTRACER, thanks for the info, but I was looking for something more presentable and less aggressive. My FRC isn't a serious track car, as I have a Viper for that.

I shot an email to ACP, but they haven't responded yet.

Originally Posted by GettReal
Similiar to the ACI/MSI. I have the Caravaggio one that is stuck on using 3m industrial tape. Been on there 5 years and its NOT going anywhere... tested all the way up to as fast as my car goes
Thats a relief; I'd hate to get a stick-on spoiler and have it fly off at 170. Any idea what the length of the Caravaggio unit is? It looks to be at about 45 degrees?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:39 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantB
RAFTRACER, thanks for the info, but I was looking for something more presentable and less aggressive. My FRC isn't a serious track car, as I have a Viper for that.

I shot an email to ACP, but they haven't responded yet.

Thats a relief; I'd hate to get a stick-on spoiler and have it fly off at 170. Any idea what the length of the Caravaggio unit is? It looks to be at about 45 degrees?
If you want it to do anything you can easily research (google) the angles used by NASCAR found to be optimal. IT is more like RR spoiler or the same vs. the one more for looks like the Carravagio one.

http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...ler_angle.html

last paragraph first page

It has been found that the optimum angle for the rear spoiler is between 55 and 60 degrees from horizontal, depending on the type of racetrack. The longer and faster the track, the less spoiler angle we need to run.

Last edited by John Shiels; 02-15-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
If you want it to do anything you can easily research (google) the angles used by NASCAR found to be optimal. IT is more like RR spoiler or the same vs. the one more for looks like the Carravagio one.

http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...ler_angle.html

last paragraph first page

Excellent article John! Thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 01:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lan.Jet
Excellent article John! Thanks
I remember many years ago guy on TV said internet will change the way the world works, and I laughed.:o:o:o Now if you can think it you can google it. Any item any place.

Get notified of new replies

To Functional rear deck-lid C5 spoiler?

Quick Reply: Functional rear deck-lid C5 spoiler?