Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caravaggio Race Seat (The $1395 One)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:40 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Caravaggio Race Seat (The $1395 One)

Will my fat a$$ fit in this seat? I'm 6'3" tall and weigh 225 lbs with a 39" waist. If any of you big guys have this seat let me know how you fit. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:43 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I have them in my 02Z... I'm 6'0 195 with a 34-36 in waist. I fit, but I don't have any room to spare. It's actually my motivation to lose a little weight!

The tightest fit for me isn't my waist but on my upper legs/hips.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:43 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Originally Posted by redls1gto
I have them in my 02Z... I'm 6'0 195 with a 34-36 in waist. I fit, but I don't have any room to spare. It's actually my motivation to lose a little weight!

The tightest fit for me isn't my waist but on my upper legs/hips.
My problem is wide hip bones. Weight loss won't help that.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

17" kirkey should fit.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:37 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm 205LBS, 5' 10" and 38-40 waist and I fit snug. I use them for street and track. JD
Old 01-04-2009, 06:43 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think this is the seat for you. I am 6' 1" and 215 lbs. They are snug for me.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:48 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Go with the kirkey's. They are cheap, and because they are aluminum you don't lose the width where they have to roll the carbon, or fiberglass.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ProgGod
Go with the kirkey's. They are cheap, and because they are aluminum you don't lose the width where they have to roll the carbon, or fiberglass.
But unsupported aluminum seats will fold up in a crash. Aluminum seats need multiple areas of support to support the body. FIA legal seats are designed to take a certain g-load in various directions. Some seat makers like recaro for street seats so some other testing like being dot or tuv compliant. I do not think there is any Aluminum seat that is dot or tuv compliant.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:26 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
But unsupported aluminum seats will fold up in a crash. Aluminum seats need multiple areas of support to support the body. FIA legal seats are designed to take a certain g-load in various directions. Some seat makers like recaro for street seats so some other testing like being dot or tuv compliant. I do not think there is any Aluminum seat that is dot or tuv compliant.
Thats up to you to mount and support it properly. Regardless its the best seat for a bigger guy. They fit me awesome. I had some custom NASCAR seats made.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:01 PM
fperra
Safety Car

I have 17" Kirkey in my S2000 and they are nice, but too hard to get into and out of for anything but dedicated racing. So they are not an option.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:30 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

i have them and i am a 34 waist and i wouldnt see how they would be comfortable for anyone over a 36-38max waist.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I weigh in at 285 I'm 6' and wear 42 to 44 inch waist. I have more gut than hip so I fit the Caravaggio race seat. It is tight if my hips were bigger I could not fit.

See if you can find someone in your area that will let you sit in one. They are nice seats I even had a Porsche owner asking about them. The nice thing about them is that they use the stock seat rails so you get to keep all the power options.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
blue Z06+
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fperra
Will my fat a$$ fit in this seat? I'm 6'3" tall and weigh 225 lbs with a 39" waist. If any of you big guys have this seat let me know how you fit. Thanks.

If you plan to track the car...its not the fit I think you will have a problem with its more the headroom. I'm 185 lbs 6'1" . I mounted my caravagio seat to my seat stock rails. fine w/o a helmet. but with my bell BR-1 NO WAY!

you may have headroom clearance if you go with an aftermarket seat mount ( Pfadt, hardbar etc....) but you will loose the power adjustability.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blue Z06+
If you plan to track the car...its not the fit I think you will have a problem with its more the headroom. I'm 185 lbs 6'1" . I mounted my caravagio seat to my seat stock rails. fine w/o a helmet. but with my bell BR-1 NO WAY!
I agree in that head room is an issue. I just make it and would like a little more clearance. I am going to try taking the bottom cushion out and see how that works.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:08 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
http://www.petting-zoo.net/photos/Seat-Brace/ -- IO Port sells braces like this; you'll have to get a machine shop to cut off the one shaft collar and weld on another to get this to fit a Hardbar, though. But a seat back brace in combination with the Hardbar seat mounts is ideal for mounting the aluminum seats.

Nothing like the Caravaggio for a dual purpose seat, but it's there and pretty darn easy to mount properly if you want them for the track...

(Note the seat brace pictures are out of my RX7, not the Corvette)
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkmccready
http://www.petting-zoo.net/photos/Seat-Brace/ -- IO Port sells braces like this; you'll have to get a machine shop to cut off the one shaft collar and weld on another to get this to fit a Hardbar, though. But a seat back brace in combination with the Hardbar seat mounts is ideal for mounting the aluminum seats.

Nothing like the Caravaggio for a dual purpose seat, but it's there and pretty darn easy to mount properly if you want them for the track...

(Note the seat brace pictures are out of my RX7, not the Corvette)
Next time use a little spray paint so it doesn't rust
Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProgGod
Next time use a little spray paint so it doesn't rust
Another item for my list of reason to hate the shop(s) it lived at once it moved to NorCal. Frey Racing and Leadfoot Automotive out here in the SF Bay Area got a good chunk of money and in exchange returned a car that doesn't run, and is still in need of buttoning and dyno tuning... hell, they even blew a motor and I was stupid enough to pay them to replace it.

Get notified of new replies

To Caravaggio Race Seat (The $1395 One)

Quick Reply: Caravaggio Race Seat (The $1395 One)