Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would like to start attending track days but ....

Old 01-03-2009, 05:00 PM
LDB C5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Would like to start attending track days but ....

I have a C5 convertible, and I am told that in order to particiapte I need a roll bar. True? If so who make one for a vert that will still allow use of the top?

TIA

Len
Old 01-03-2009, 06:06 PM
monroepaul
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with the organization but I think you can use a removable hardtop instead of a bar if you prefer.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:30 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Most organizations just require you to run with the top up..
Old 01-03-2009, 06:47 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a convertible. Most groups only require a rollbar in their advanced run groups. You can start out without the bar.

When you progress to the point that you need a rollbar, there are only a few options. Do a search on here and you'll find several threads.

I have a bolt in rollbar from Wolfe Racecraft in Fort Worth TX. Look up their website. It works great for me but it does have all the shortcomings you'll read about in the other posts (i.e., it rubs the stock seats and is closer to my head than most would like). It's nothing a fixed back race seat can not correct.

Again, don't worry about it now. Just go and have fun!

John

Last edited by JohnD60; 01-05-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 01-03-2009, 06:52 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, but I think in order to get the roll bar the right height, your top won't go up over it. It would have to be pretty low. The roll bar would have to be welded in also. Really the only way I see it, is buy another Corvette with a roof. The Organizers that let convertibles on the track only care about taking your money. Don't be foolish. I want you to go to the track. But a little safety would be better.

Steve

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 01-03-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:20 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess I should add that my comments are about HPDE not wheel to wheel racing.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

I can tell you proautosports and nasa here both just require the top up for HPDE 1-4. I believe SCCAs street program here is the same way. I know this for a fact, since a friend of mine runs in them..
Old 01-04-2009, 04:14 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JohnD has a good bar in his car. I have been looking for a good bar for my wife's car for a while now, and there isn't one. It'll be a custom job. You can start without one, but if you get fast, tracks and schools will require one.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I tracked a vert for a couple of years.
Wolfe Racecraft makes a roll bar that fits and lets the top work.

Clubs continue to increase the restrictions on verts even with roll bars. And every club and every track has their own rules. Most of which boil down to: "Go ahead and pay up front, and we'll take a look at your car when you get here and decide if you'll be able to run."

Take my advice, sell the vert and get a C5Z. You'll be money and hours upon hours upon hours of aggravation ahead.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 AM
floor it
Racer

Originally Posted by Jason
I tracked a vert for a couple of years.
Wolfe Racecraft makes a roll bar that fits and lets the top work.

Clubs continue to increase the restrictions on verts even with roll bars. And every club and every track has their own rules. Most of which boil down to: "Go ahead and pay up front, and we'll take a look at your car when you get here and decide if you'll be able to run."

Take my advice, sell the vert and get a C5Z. You'll be money and hours upon hours upon hours of aggravation ahead.

That is excellent advice, a C5Z is the best track car for the money there is, and right now they are priced right. A friend of mine saw an 03 go through the auction with 15m miles on it for 20m.... If i had been there i would have bought it to sell later...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ProgGod
I can tell you proautosports and nasa here both just require the top up for HPDE 1-4. I believe SCCAs street program here is the same way. I know this for a fact, since a friend of mine runs in them..
Anyone who would run a convertible without a roll bar in NASA HPDE4 is a lot crazier than I am!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

MOST HPDE Clubs REQUIRE A roll bar for convertibles. and the roll bar must be AT LEAST 2" ABOVE the drivers helmet. Plus have FIA padding on the roll bar.

Roll bar must be a 4 point bolted to the frame. Swing out door bars are frowned upon as they are not really as safe as ppl think.

Most likely your top will not go up, unless you are 5' 6" or less.

Getting the roll bar that is SCCA Solo I approved is also a trick. The popular bolt in roll bars dont always pass the tech inspection.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:41 AM
LDB C5
Drifting

Well thats not what I wanted to hear. I have no intention of going "wheel to wheel". I just want to play with my car a bit. I am not willing to trade going topless for going to a couple of track days a year.

I looked into MVP track time and they said I need the rollbar.

Do I have any other options? Again I am very new to all of this.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by LDB C5
Do I have any other options? Again I am very new to all of this.

Buy a cheap track toy. Lots for sale right now in the off season and with the economy in the crapper. (I saw it on TV, it must be true)
Old 01-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by LDB C5
a couple of track days a year.
Yeah, that's what we all planned on.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

K@K Insurance carries the majority of track insurance---THEY require a bar in verts.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:46 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My roll bar is bolt in. The top will not function with it installed. It bolts in directly to the frame rails, and I spent a considerable amount of time and effort custom designing it to make it nearly factory looking when the roll bar is out, but allowing complete safety in the event of a roll over, as well as meeting the 2" above helmet rule, and I'm 6'8" tall.

My answer to you is this; you will probably need a professional builder to make you a bar, as any of the pre-built Wolf type bars are normally not high enough and the bars are too close to your helmet.

Get notified of new replies

To Would like to start attending track days but ....

Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I see you live in Schuamburg Illinois. Autobaun Country Club http://www.autobahncountryclub.net/ does allow its members to drive in thier "B" group with a vert and no roll bar. IIRC Check their rules.

Still do not recommend driving on track in a vert without a roll bar.

But to become a member, may cost more then installing a roll bar and buying a hard top.

track is located
South Patterson in Joliet Ill.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 01-04-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 PM
LDB C5
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I see you live in Schuamburg Illinois. Autobaun Country Club http://www.autobahncountryclub.net/ does allow its members to drive in thier "B" group with a vert and no roll bar. IIRC Check their rules.

Still do not recommend driving on track in a vert without a roll bar.

But to become a member, may cost more then installing a roll bar and buying a hard top.

track is located
South Patterson in Joliet Ill.
I looked into that; becoming a member costs more than a dedicated track car
Old 01-04-2009, 01:40 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z11409
K@K Insurance carries the majority of track insurance---THEY require a bar in verts.
This simply isn't true. We use K&K for our events, and we are allowed to run without roll bars.

To be quite honest, I think a lot of people overreact to this. For instance, go hang out at the Tail of the Dragon and you will see lots of people bombing through 2 lane public roads with no roll bars. You don't see people telling them they're crazy. Running in a track event with a convertible is as dangerous as YOU make it.

Our group allows convertibles without roll bars, but we highly recommend you get one if you are going to keep doing track days. It's easy to go at your own pace and take it easy when you are starting out. As you get more into it, you will start to push it harder, and at this point you need some more protection. We also run at slower tracks without high speed esses and the like.

If you are interested, send me a note or look for 3 ***** Racing events. We run at Gingerman, Grattan, and Waterford in Michigan.

Ken

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would like to start attending track days but ....