Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corbeau A4 Hans Compatible in a 94?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:41 AM
RickF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Corbeau A4 Hans Compatible in a 94?

I see a lot of seats described as "HANS Compatible". What does this mean and is the Corbeau A4 compatible?

Also, I would like to use the double locking sliders. How much headroom is lost or gained vs the stock 94 power seat?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I used those in my car and spent a lot of time starting the nuts onto the brackets. I tried to gain all I could for headroom and set the bracket really low which made working on the fasteners a bear. With my stock seats my helmet just rested on the roof, now there is about 3/4" of room. Plus the car lost extra weight and I can use a five or six point. Don't forget to have the seats made with the sub strap hole and have the bases shaved. When I ordered mine I asked for them to be shaved to the max for headroom. There's a thread I made in C4 tech on the install.

I'm pleased with the headroom now.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:35 PM
RickF
Instructor

Thanks. I'm definitely going for the sub belt slot. What is "shaving"? Is it simply removing some padding in the bottom? Is this something that can be done by any Corbeau vendor or is it special order?

Did you find the seats sufficient for HPDEs? I think a fixed back such as the FX-1 might be a better choice but I really want to be able to use the stock belts and avoid swapping.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

They shave the seat then add the pad I think. The actual total height of the seat remains the same but as there is less junk in the truck of the seat, you sit lower. The way I installed the belts I'd think you could use any seat you wanted. I put the five point over the top of the stock belts so I can use both. I just fold the race harness back and for street use put the stock belts on. I found the seats and harness to be awesome for my HPDE use. Having a harness is a must IMO, I found it difficult and tiring to drive without it.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 AM
RickF
Instructor

We are using harnesses now with the stock seats. The PO installed them but they are probably set up the same as yours. We use the stock belts when not at the track and plan to continue.

Harnesses with stock seats are all but outlawed everywhere.

We have been running street tires the past 2 years and are moving up to DOT R compounds this year. Want to make sure the seats are up to the "anticipated" extra cornering ability as well as HANS compatible. The HANS will probably have to wait for the 2010 budget.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

No prob! My install thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...eats-done.html
Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Coconut
Racer

Default Photobucket gone

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
The extra pics in Photobucket are displayed as not being available in the Forum thread listed. Is it gone, or is a certain setting needed to view them?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

My picture bin was so cluttered that I deleted a few. I can take a new picture though if there's something that would help out.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Coconut
Racer

Default Pic, please

I'm in between a few seat choices right now, & would really like to see a pic of the lower cushion of the seat from the top, so I can see it between the tunnel & emergency break. I know it has to be tight in there.

Do you use the sliders, & find that the seat rubs everything when going back & forth, or did you just find the "sweet spot" for you, & just leave the seat there?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I removed the E-brake as extra weight but I can put a ruler there and take a pic. I used their adapter brackets with double locking sliders. They lined up well enough that I didn't slot the holes any. The drivers side moves freely with a good amount of travel. The passenger side doesn't move very far forward as the seat hits the tunnel. Check back this afternoon I'll upload some pics.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Coconut
Racer

Sounds good. I was thinking about relocating the ebrake to the rear & facing it sideways. That would be out of the way for sure! My 1991 has a self adjusting ebrake mechanism that is a pain to deal if it ever needs readjusting!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

It looks like the E-brake would be OK, it would force itself into the seat but would work. Back farther is the problem, with the seat belt. I got the ruler out to measure, looked, and realized I didn't need it. The seat is up against the belt mechanism.

Picture one, looking downward at the outboard side of the drivers seat. The missing carpet patch on the left is where the E-brake would be. The seat belt mechanism is on the right and just pressing on the seat. This is with the seat all the way back and reclined just a little. There's no room for that **** on the Torino.

This is picture two with the same view but the seat all the way forward. There would be some room for your seats adjusting ****. I removed the seat belt cover to have more room there.

Picture three of the inboard side. I removed some of the tunnel plastic so the seat didn't rub on it. Very little room there.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Coconut
Racer

It looks like the E-brake would be OK, it would force itself into the seat but would work. Back farther is the problem, with the seat belt. I got the ruler out to measure, looked, and realized I didn't need it. The seat is up against the belt mechanism.

Picture one, looking downward at the outboard side of the drivers seat. The missing carpet patch on the left is where the E-brake would be. The seat belt mechanism is on the right and just pressing on the seat. This is with the seat all the way back and reclined just a little. There's no room for that **** on the Torino.

This is picture two with the same view but the seat all the way forward. There would be some room for your seats adjusting ****. I removed the seat belt cover to have more room there.

Picture three of the inboard side. I removed some of the tunnel plastic so the seat didn't rub on it. Very little room there.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to see. I should be able to move the seatbelt & fab a bracket for a new mounting point (possibly on top of the door sill. That will give me all the room in the world. With the ebrake gone, I can get many seats in there. Thanks again!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Glad to help! On the tunnel side the leg bolster is just touching the tunnel, so no room to shift the seat inboard.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:04 PM
RickF
Instructor

It's been a while since I looked at the Corbeau. Where is the recline **** on the A4? Is the A4 the seat where most flip the passenger and driver seat to get the **** to fit?

Also how is the room up top. Any rubbing on the door, etc?

Thanks for your help and the pictures.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by RickF
It's been a while since I looked at the Corbeau. Where is the recline **** on the A4? Is the A4 the seat where most flip the passenger and driver seat to get the **** to fit?

Also how is the room up top. Any rubbing on the door, etc?

Thanks for your help and the pictures.
I put the recline latch inboard, you can see the slot in the bottom picture. The seats could be switched around though. It's just a lever that pulls up instead of a ****. There's no rubbing on the door and I spent lots of extra time mounting them lower for head room. I also had the bases shaved for more head room when I bought them.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Coconut
Racer

Glad to help! On the tunnel side the leg bolster is just touching the tunnel, so no room to shift the seat inboard.
That center console is coming out for sure, so I'm sure I can fab some room if I need it. I'm good with sheet metal & a welder. I've chopped the tops of trucks before, & metal shaped a viper style roof, so cutting some small amounts of metal & welding new pieces inward is nothing. I might even be able to just heat it & contour it in. I'll decide what will be best when I finally get the seats. The old ones are already gone. I've been making measurements. One thing's for sure. I hate where the factory put the emergency brake. It was poorly located on the C3 & C4. They finally did something right with the location of the newer Corvettes.

Thanks for the pics. They helped out more than you know.

Get notified of new replies

To Corbeau A4 Hans Compatible in a 94?

Quick Reply: Corbeau A4 Hans Compatible in a 94?