Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autox newbie, F55 w/sways or Z51 for a weekend warrior

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 01:43 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Autox newbie, F55 w/sways or Z51 for a weekend warrior

Thank for reading this is my first post in the Autox sec. I am planing on buying a vert c6 this spring and I plan to hit some local tracks probably 5 to 6 times a year. Nothing competetive (I am sure everyone says that at first) just going to have some fun. I am going to put a supercharger on and yes I know that is not optimal for RR but I am not going to have long secesions.

My main question is suspension, is the F55 with Z51 sways (or Z06) in sport mode good enough to handle spirited track days? I also read where on member put on Z51 springs and Z06 sways on his F55, (maybe overkill) what do you guys think of that?

My other options is a Z51 with Koni FSD's or maybe an adjustable shock. I am leaning towards the F55 because I like the idea of the tour mode on the street but what would you guys recomend? Thanks again.

BJ
Old 01-01-2009, 01:54 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Or maybe adjustable sways on the F55?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Don't bother spending a lot of money on the factory replacement shocks! They are not worth it! If you have the money get a set of Pfadt single adjustables. You can adjust for soft cruising or up for track use. If not look around for some inexpensive replacements on the for sale section or Koni / Bilsteins...

Seat time is where its at, but when changing stuff out remember to stay competative by not going too far and bumping yourself into the next class up... Read the rule book regarding the classes of the club you will be participating in...

If you don't have that kind of money then keep the shocks you have and get a nice set of Hotchkis sway bars or even an Addco bars. Pfadt makes a "Street" set and an "SS" package for SCCA Super Stock that only allows the front bar to be changed out.

Some factory parts are interchangeable and allowed in stock classes if that option was available that year and came on a simular car made...

If your talking about HPDE events, I'd stay away from a vert. Unless you put a roll bar in there most won't let you play at high speed events!

Lots of simular posts you can check out too... Here , here and here...

Most of all, just have fun!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:50 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Lots of great info. thanks.

Yeah I am not really looking to get involved in sanctioned per say more just going out on some local tracks just to have a little fun. If I ever get serious I would buy a C6Z and be done with it. I just wanted to know if the F55 in sport mode with sways would be sufficient for spirited track days or should I stick with the Z51 with shocks and maybe sways?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Used C6Z bars can likely be had for cheap. The Hotchkis set is not too expensive either.

Like I said, if your looking to track your car, a vert is not the way to go unless you plan on putting a roll bar in it I know of know clubs that will take that liability risk.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:10 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

F55 with Z51 front and rear sway bars--

ALSO Z51 SPRINGS !
Old 01-01-2009, 08:41 PM
apexman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with brake fluid first if it were me and brake pads for track days. Then go from there into suspension.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo2GS
Don't bother spending a lot of money on the factory replacement shocks!
I'll strengthen that a bit more: Don't bother spending money on ANY mods, esp. the blower, at first. Also, a head's up for a 'vert: many organizations are getting more and more restrictive for doing HPDEs with a covertible. Roll bars/hoops/cages, etc. Coupes are OK since they incorporate a sufficient rollover structure behind the driver, but not so for the 'verts for obvious reasons.

Autocross is considerably slower so 'verts have no limits there that I know of.

HTH, welcome to the club, and have a good one!
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Autox newbie, F55 w/sways or Z51 for a weekend warrior

Quick Reply: Autox newbie, F55 w/sways or Z51 for a weekend warrior