Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little stick time in an ASA Stock Car, Video Inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default A little stick time in an ASA Stock Car, Video Inside

Eagles Canyon Raceway, 30 Dec.

Other than a little breezy, it was a perfect day to spend at the track…..the sun was warm, Dave and I had the track to ourselves during the morning and it was midweek and we weren’t at work! We hit the track around 10:00 for the first session, Dave wanted to follow so he could get his feet wet after being away from the track for over a month. We clipped off about 10 laps of mid 2.teens before coming back in for a break.

After checking tire pressers, lug torque and topping off the bod with a little H2O, we hit the track again for a 30 minute session. The track was still a bit green and the cars were sliding around in places but we managed to stay on the blacktop and trim a few seconds off the clock. Dave has his driving legs back and is now ready to put the new tires on.

Before changing out the old tires, Dave let me take a spin in his car. Taking it easy, because the car was still unsettled in the corners due to old hard tires, it was still a real head rush down the straights! I’ve got to have me some of this HORSE POWER!! I think unofficially, I managed to get close to my best lap time in the Vette at 2.04.

Next we changed the old tires out for a fresh new set of Goodyear’s and hit the track again. This time Dave found out what a real race car is supposed to feel like in the corners!! The stock car was on rails… go anywhere at any speed and no tire slip. I think Dave instantly knocked 5 seconds off his times without pushing it. Dave had to twist my arm (like you’re gong to believe that) to get me back in his car to experience the new handling.

The Out Lap; feeling my way around the track, not pushing the corners or brake zone but now finding I’m now running out of revs down the main straight, we clicked off a 2.04.

Seconded Lap; a little more confident now, but still driving below 7/10’s, the car clicked off a 2.01.

Third Lap; now getting closer to my 7/10’s comfort level in the corners and brake zones, but still way below the performance level of the car, we were heading for an easy sub 2 minute lap when disaster struck in turn 9! The clamp-on, no weld needed, caliper bracket decided to let go and rotate on the axle, ripping off the brake line and wedging itself against the coilover spring. This resulted in loosing the rear brakes, major inhaling of my sphincter, the cleaning my shorts and Dave needing to reupholstering his seat!...... Other than that, it was a piece of cake. I am very grateful that the track Gods were watching out on this one because if it had happened 3 turns earlier in turn 6, a 125MPH entry into a 90 degree left, the outcome might have been less favorable.

Below is a link to the in car video. I took the previous lap prior to the mechanical and spliced it on just before the caliper let go. The lap time worked out at 2.0006, keeping in mind that I had about 25% of the track left to makeup more time, it would have been an easy sub 2 minute. With some more stick time, I know the car will run in the mid to low 1.5’s.

I'm thinking now of selling the C5 and quiring an ASA car.... 2500 lbs and 500 HP, way too much fun!!

http://vimeo.com/2685074

Quick Reply: A little stick time in an ASA Stock Car, Video Inside