Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some assitance on next vehicle

Old 12-31-2008, 10:04 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some assitance on next vehicle

Moved from C5 General section....

Ok guys and gals. I have a great dilemma...I need a track car. Here's some background. I have a '02 convt that I love and drive often. I used to spend time at the track and autocross as well but was sponsored in my other job. I have since changed jobs and need my own track car. I don't want to mess with the convertable, i.e roll cage and the like since I want to keep it forever. I am looking for a dedicated track car. So I have knocked down the list to another vette, say a C5 Z06 or mabe a Lotus exige S. Now I know you can pick up a vette cheaper. The reason I was even considering a lotus was I have 2 young children (under 2) and I don't have time to be swapping parts all the time and thought a lotus would be less mantenance for a track car (lighter, easier on tires, brakes, etc). This is where I would like your input. Sorry for the long note...and thanks for your input.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Since its a dedicated track car, how about a Panoz. Purpose built for the track. Here is an example: Panoz
Old 12-31-2008, 10:30 PM
cruzin2
Pro

also should mention that I don't have a tow vehicle yet so I am looking to drive the vehicle to 'n' from for a little while. Barely DOT's until I can convince the wife that she needs a F250 for her daily driver
Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

If it was me, ignoring all class rules for competition, I would buy the cheapest FRC or coupe you can find - beat to hell and back, high miles, maybe even wrecked. gut the interior and everything else you don't need down to the minimum it takes to get it registered in your state (only because you've to to drive it to and from the track), add a cage & race seats and fix/replace whatever it needs (suspension/brakes/crate engine/clutch). Add in a tow hitch and you can pull a utility trailer with race tires, then just pick up a set of wagon wheels with the cheapest street tires you can fine to get to and from the track.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:20 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Huh... haven't thought of that approach. I am interested. What do you think it would cost to get a cheap FRC?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:35 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Lancer033
If it was me, ignoring all class rules for competition, I would buy the cheapest FRC or coupe you can find - beat to hell and back, high miles, maybe even wrecked. gut the interior and everything else you don't need down to the minimum it takes to get it registered in your state (only because you've to to drive it to and from the track), add a cage & race seats and fix/replace whatever it needs (suspension/brakes/crate engine/clutch). Add in a tow hitch and you can pull a utility trailer with race tires, then just pick up a set of wagon wheels with the cheapest street tires you can fine to get to and from the track.
A FRC would be a great foundation for a track car. They are all 6-speeds and 345HP should be enough for the first season and sorting everything out. You should be able to find lots of race parts for it here on the Forum.

Get this small Harbor Freight tire trailer add a wood deck and a cargo box. C5 trailer hitches are available and typically can't be seen from the back.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some assitance on next vehicle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some assitance on next vehicle