Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension help please (autoX)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:32 PM
FloridaFRC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension help please (autoX)

I have a stock suspension 00 FRC. I have lowered it almost all the way down on the factory bolts although it is hard to tell because it may have only dropped about .5-.75" all the way around. I am just getting into autox and have two events under my belt. My car has 90k miles on it. I am thinking about adding c6z51 sway bars from and rear with metal end links all around as well as poly bushings for the bars. My main concern is my shocks though. I feel like they bottom out now on any decent bump (just on daily driven roads, not the autox coarse). I am wanting to know which shocks are decent for my car lowered on factory bolts. I don't mind a stiff ride. I just don't want to be bottoming out all the time and I don't want to break the bank. What shocks are you using/ recommend for the once a month autox car? I'd like a set of 04 Z06 shocks but i was hoping to find something comparable for cheaper. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Keep in mind what class you will be competing in and not bump yourself up too far as to be uncompetative. I know when you are first starting out its all about seat time and learning, but it still helps to plan class accordingly!

SCCA Super Stock will allow you to change out the front sway bar, but not the rear. Next class up is ASP which allows unlimited suspension (no coil overs) modifications to springs and sway bars.

SCCA rule book

Shocks are free in any class, and you can never skimp out when it comes to shocks! Personally I see no benefit going to the Z06 shocks over what else is out there. Koni, Pfadt... Shocks will make a huge improvement.

Lowering on factory bolts is allowed in SS. You never truly want to go too low. The two finger width gap between tire and wheel well is a good general rule to follow, but no lower with stock springs. Too low and its easy to bottom out.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:39 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FloridaFRC
I have a stock suspension 00 FRC. I have lowered it almost all the way down on the factory bolts although it is hard to tell because it may have only dropped about .5-.75" all the way around. I am just getting into autox and have two events under my belt. My car has 90k miles on it. I am thinking about adding c6z51 sway bars from and rear with metal end links all around as well as poly bushings for the bars. My main concern is my shocks though. I feel like they bottom out now on any decent bump (just on daily driven roads, not the autox coarse). I am wanting to know which shocks are decent for my car lowered on factory bolts. I don't mind a stiff ride. I just don't want to be bottoming out all the time and I don't want to break the bank. What shocks are you using/ recommend for the once a month autox car? I'd like a set of 04 Z06 shocks but i was hoping to find something comparable for cheaper. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Concentrate on SEAT TIME over doing mods.

After you get some more seat time and you are serious about Auto-Xing...skip right by those 04 shocks and get yourself a set of Pfadt sport shocks. Yes they will cost about twice as much, but if you save while getting that important seat time, then will be able to afford them.

As far as the lowering...IMHO, these cars should just be lowered a little, not all the way. I have lowered my car twice on stock bolts, the first time I only went 4 turns on all the bolts and it was fine. The last time, I had the car corner weighted and lowered even more. It has resulted in that one adjuster is all the way down and the rest are slightly from fully bottomed in various increments to achieve the desired corner weights. What has resulted is a car that now hits the bump stops and causes a mid corner push which my driving style is having a hard time acclimating to. My plans are to raise it back up some.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Racin Jason
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Z51 cars do seem to ride rougher when lowered from my experience, and your shocks are probably worn out.

Personally if I were you I'd go to bigger sway bars then C6 Z51 to really see a big change though.

I think you should check out the Pfadt shocks. They seem to be one of the best and affordable ones on the market now. They are what I'm going to purchase when the time comes. They are shortened so you can lower the car even more without bottoming out, and they are adjustable.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:45 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

I don't think you can really get a set of shocks cheaper than the 04 Z06 ones.

Maybe you know someone at a Chevy dealer---see if you can get a discount.

Since the C5Z06 works so well.....just use aZ06 front sway.

And if you want to go ASP....but not recommended, because your car will be underprepared.....get C5Z06 stock front spring-----or to really go low VBP front spring and long bolts in the rear to lower...

Where in FL are you ?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

If I am not mistaken, the FRC's already have the same front spring as the C5Z06. The rear is slightly less, but not by much.

Pfadt recently came out with a SS "front bar" that a few are running. Most popular amongst the ASP crowd is Hotchkiss (32mm) or even ADDCO 32mm or 35mm front bar in its place.

Another recent thread on the subject can be found HERE.

If not already done a good alignment will do wonders...

Old 01-01-2009, 12:54 AM
FloridaFRC
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am not a serious racer nor is the club I autox with associated with scca. I usually just run their test and tune sessions once a month for fun. I just wanted to upgrade a little because I know their are improvements to be had for a reasonable price. Right now the car feels pretty decent and I have improved tremendously from my first time out in the seat.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:19 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

You should bring your car out to one of our events.

http://nfca.net/
Old 01-01-2009, 08:33 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

if you haven't cut the adjustment bolts, then I doubt your shocks are bottoming out. They are designed to work within the OEM suspension adjustment range.

A good alignment might do more good than any hardware mods at this point.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:40 AM
FloridaFRC
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
if you haven't cut the adjustment bolts, then I doubt your shocks are bottoming out. They are designed to work within the OEM suspension adjustment range.

A good alignment might do more good than any hardware mods at this point.

I have not cut anything. I just lowered on the factory bolts and left a few threads showing on each adjuster. My car doesn't even sit that low as you can see in the picture below. I just had an alignment done two weeks ago. and the car has been lowered for months so it is settled. Maybe I am just hitting the bump stops. So 04 z06 shocks seem to be the best bang for the buck? I looked at the pfadt shocks online and while they are nice I am no where serious enough of a racer to spend almost a grand on 4 shocks.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:41 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Alignment and seat time. Save the money you might spend on parts.

Richard Newton
Daily Race Car Blog
Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 AM
FloridaFRC
Instructor

Originally Posted by rfn026
Alignment and seat time. Save the money you might spend on parts.

Richard Newton
Daily Race Car Blog
the link is not working. As posted before the car has been aligned. Also at 90k miles I am certain the shocks are worn out. That is why I am asking what are the best budget shocks out there to fit my needs. C6Z51 bars are only $280 shipped with metal endlinks. From reading other threads around the forum it seems to be a great upgrade for the $$. I am a little worried about pushing the plastic links on my sway bar now as I have seen threads about them being destroyed.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

A good autox alignment if more valuable than an ordinary stock alignment. Most alignment shops will just put the car in "factory range" and not try to truly align the car. A true professional alignment tech can get the car setup much better.

At 90K I can guarantee you that your stock shocks are done and have
been for quite some time. The C6 shocks fit and are cheaper than C5, contact Gene Culley.

BTW, $1k for some good shocks wont seem to be that expensive if you ever start to spend the $1k on DOT "R" rubber twice a year to be competitive.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:34 PM
FloridaFRC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Goody
A good autox alignment if more valuable than an ordinary stock alignment. Most alignment shops will just put the car in "factory range" and not try to truly align the car. A true professional alignment tech can get the car setup much better.

At 90K I can guarantee you that your stock shocks are done and have
been for quite some time. The C6 shocks fit and are cheaper than C5, contact Gene Culley.

BTW, $1k for some good shocks wont seem to be that expensive if you ever start to spend the $1k on DOT "R" rubber twice a year to be competitive.

I had the guy that did my alignment set the car up on z06 specs but went a little easy on camber to keep tire wear to a min. I think camber is -6 or -7 in rear and -5 or -6 in front I'll have to find the sheet. But both sides are dead even not just in range. I don't see me spending that kind of money on rubber either. While it would be nice I have other priorities in my life than can use that money right now (the wife and I are trying to have a baby soon). Also I am only running "test and tune" days which are not for points. Basically just a fun day to go beat the hell out of the vette on a runway without risk of police or injuring someone else.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:38 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

No one has yet to mention that lowering a C5 throws the overall suspension geometry out drastically. Maybe it's not so bad for autocross as it is for road racing, but there has to be similarities between the two. I would set the ride height back to stock before throwing $ at suspension mods. If anyone can steer you in the right direction, it is David Farmer so I would listen very carefully to what he has to say. He's been there and done that.

Here's some fantastic reading on the subject care of David. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing it:

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/SuspensionGuide.pdf

Last edited by sperkins; 01-01-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:11 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Forget the 04 Z06 shocks. The 06 Z06 shocks will save you money and perform just as good or better. Just keep it simple. Lower it, Z06 shocks, alignment and if you must sway bars. Call Gene Cully for the shock prices. 610 862-0550

Steve
Old 01-01-2009, 09:53 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Another good shock for a lowered C5 are the Bilstein sport shocks. Sometimes the '04 Z06 shocks are hard to find, and the Bilsteins were designed for the C5.

Many people swear by the C6Z06 shocks, but, IMO, mainly because they're stiffer than stock (which makes them "better"), and cheaper. I'm sure they're better than worn shocks at replacement time, but I've never heard of anyone claiming fresh C6Z06 shocks work better than fresh Bilstein Sports or the '04 Sachs shocks. Not saying they aren't, just saying I've never heard of anyone doing a comparo.

[EDIT] Replace the plastic sway bar links with the GM aluminum ones ASAP. I found mine to collapse when I started autocrossing, and that somewhat random transition made for squirrely handling.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 01-01-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added end link replacement note.

Get notified of new replies

To suspension help please (autoX)

Quick Reply: suspension help please (autoX)