Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Front sway bar bushings

I run AutoX super stock and in reading the rules, I can use sway bar bushings of any material. Will I see any improvement just changing these to poly?
Old 12-29-2008, 03:40 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll increase the effective stiffness of the swaybar. Don't most SS cars go for a bigger front bar (and new bushings), anyway?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

First, only the front sway bar bushings are free, the rears are not...

That said, I have a set of poly bushings and a set of stock bushings and have swapped back and forth depending on the tires and the shock settings, and yes it will increase the total bar stiffness if you go to poly it is in the realm of fine tuning, but it is a lot easier to swap out a set of bushings to make a fine tuning change than it is to change the front bar.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 AM
avizandum
Pro

Originally Posted by Solofast
First, only the front sway bar bushings are free, the rears are not...

That said, I have a set of poly bushings and a set of stock bushings and have swapped back and forth depending on the tires and the shock settings, and yes it will increase the total bar stiffness if you go to poly it is in the realm of fine tuning, but it is a lot easier to swap out a set of bushings to make a fine tuning change than it is to change the front bar.
I run good street tires, stock sizes and will probably never run R compounds. So every bit of traction I can gain through car setup is crucial. I was thinking the polys would keep the car flatter. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I want to tweak the car where proven. I'm not at all inclined (or able) to try this, that, go back, etc.

I guess I'm looking for the moderate to low-priced low hanging fruit that keeps me in SS. Not looking to win, but I'm improving to the point that I want my car as capable as possible within what I described...

Last edited by avizandum; 12-30-2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avizandum
I run good street tires, stock sizes and will probably never run R compounds. So every bit of traction I can gain through car setup is crucial. I was thinking the polys would keep the car flatter. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I want to tweak the car where proven. I'm not at all inclined (or able) to try this, that, go back, etc.

I guess I'm looking for the moderate to low-priced low hanging fruit that keeps me in SS. Not looking to win, but I'm improving to the point that I want my car as capable as possible within what I described...
IMHO, any stiffening of the front sway bar using street tires instead of "R" compounds will be detrimental to your autocross performance.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by avizandum

Adjusting sway bar bushing stiffness is probably one of the easiest changes that you can make, but it is a tuning tool. It isn't going to drastically change the amount of body roll that you get. At best it is a second order thing.

If your car is loose with the tires and shocks that you are using, then by all means stiffen the bushings first. On a car with bars as stiff as a Corvette, it can make a very noticible difference since the sway bar actually moves the bushings a good bit and that has a significant effect on overall roll stiffness.

You really need to go to a test session and do a back to back series of runs and decide if it is helping you or not. That's really the only way to judge a change this subtle.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 AM
avizandum
Pro

OK. So there's that...

Any other low hanging fruit?

I see lots of rants on stock Z51 shocks. I can't say anything bad about them because I have no frame of reference.

Get notified of new replies

To Front sway bar bushings

Quick Reply: Front sway bar bushings