Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Neck Restraint

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:00 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Head Neck Restraint

Could use some real experience input here.

I have a very upright seat in my car, the Hans is forcing my head forward from the rear collar. In addition, because of the restraint set up in the car, the Hans 'rocks' on my shoulders a bit.

Anyone using the R3 after using the Hans? does the R3 push your head forward a bit or does it allow your head to remain upright when pressed into the back of the seat?

Merry Christmas all.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:10 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which model HANS do you have? Isn't there one for recline, and one for upright?
Old 12-24-2008, 12:54 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI

I have a very upright seat in my car, the Hans is forcing my head forward from the rear collar. In addition, because of the restraint set up in the car, the Hans 'rocks' on my shoulders a bit.

Anyone using the R3 after using the Hans? does the R3 push your head forward a bit or does it allow your head to remain upright when pressed into the back of the seat?

Merry Christmas all.
I use an R3 with no problem, but a lot depends on how you adjust the HANS or R3, your body size and how you like the seat position. Suggest you try an R3 and see how it feels.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:37 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

After trying on the Hutchens Hybrid Pro at PRI I ordered one. Looking at the pics I was concerned with the comfort, and dealing with all the straps, but it was not bad at all. I also like that I can use the same unit in a sedan or open wheel car. It also has a number of advancements over the R3, for the same price.

Last edited by RX7 KLR; 12-24-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:50 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Merry Christmas all.
you need to change the rake of your seat to give you room for the hans. about a 20 degree layback seat is needed. Careful on raking your seat back because it raises the front of your seat which may interfere with your back of the legs controling the pedals. Alternatively you can buy a hans friendly seat which has the above the shoulders part of the seat pushed back in essence having the layback in the upper portion of the seat more than the lower back area.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:05 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a R3. It comes with a seat insert to make it more comfortable.
I do not use the insert however. Unfortunately I got to see how well it worked on Monday at CMP when I hit a tire wall with the right rear quarter panel. I got a broken rib but I have no neck soreness what so ever.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:52 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by beerkat
I wear a R3. It comes with a seat insert to make it more comfortable.
I do not use the insert however. Unfortunately I got to see how well it worked on Monday at CMP when I hit a tire wall with the right rear quarter panel. I got a broken rib but I have no neck soreness what so ever.

Bummer! What seat do you have?
Old 12-25-2008, 03:09 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Bummer! What seat do you have?
I have a set of the Caravaggio race seats
Old 12-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In one car in the "race fleet" here, I initially had this problem. Butler aluminum seat, not enough clearance between helmet & "headrest" portion of seat for the HANS to sit, without forcing my head forward. Not fully comfortable.

Easy solution - I experimented with a "shim" between me and the seat-back. Went to Home Depot and bought some 1/2" & 3/4" foam insulating board (it's incredibly cheap), and cut up some pieces to fit the back of the seat, from the bottom to shoulder-blade height. Hold it in place with double-sided carpet tape. I found that with just 1/2" of extra clearance, the problem went away. It's now been that way since 2001, and I don't even think about the problem anymore. If you want, you can source Confor foam (the really dense, SFI-listed stuff), or just leave the cheap-o foam board in there. It may not be fully "fire-safe", but it's underneath the fire resistant seat cover...and if you've got flames under that cover, you've likely got a WHOLE LOT BIGGER ISSUE than just burning foam board. Abandon ship.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:00 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Keefhardt
In one car in the "race fleet" here, I initially had this problem. Butler aluminum seat, not enough clearance between helmet & "headrest" portion of seat for the HANS to sit, without forcing my head forward. Not fully comfortable.

Easy solution - I experimented with a "shim" between me and the seat-back. Went to Home Depot and bought some 1/2" & 3/4" foam insulating board (it's incredibly cheap), and cut up some pieces to fit the back of the seat, from the bottom to shoulder-blade height. Hold it in place with double-sided carpet tape. I found that with just 1/2" of extra clearance, the problem went away. It's now been that way since 2001, and I don't even think about the problem anymore. If you want, you can source Confor foam (the really dense, SFI-listed stuff), or just leave the cheap-o foam board in there. It may not be fully "fire-safe", but it's underneath the fire resistant seat cover...and if you've got flames under that cover, you've likely got a WHOLE LOT BIGGER ISSUE than just burning foam board. Abandon ship.
Thats a good idea. I didnt want to spend another 900.00 on a restraint system.

My seat is all the way back and tilted 10 degrees. I could use a little more lower back support, so I will experiment with this. Might work very well.

MAny thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Head Neck Restraint

Quick Reply: Head Neck Restraint