Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Personal TSB: PVC Tape for Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Personal TSB: PVC Tape for Paint Protection

Many guys use blue painter’s tape to protect their car on the track. Others, including myself, use 10 or 20 mil PVC tape for the superior protection it provides compared to painters tape. I’ve recommended PVC tape to others and I’ve used it for years without any problems.

Prior to running my car over the weekend, I applied 20 mil PVC tape on the strategic areas to protect the paint as usual. I had a great time at the track and got home from Phoenix late. I left the car on the trailer overnight and unloaded the car into the garage the next morning. The car got wet overnight and it was cold...maybe in the high 30's.

I started removing the PVC tape on the front of the car. As I pulled the first piece of tape off a fair sized section of paint peeled-off with the tape! This has never happened to anyone I know who uses PVC tape. I generally have trouble just getting the tape to stick when it's cold. Maybe the paint was ‘weak’ paint where it peeled-off or perhaps the cold temperature had something to do with it. In any event, I used a hair dryer to heat the remaining tape before removing it off and had no further problems.

A caution to anyone removing PVC tape…if it’s cold use a hair dryer to warm the tape prior to removing it.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:14 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, now no reason to keep taping her up! am i right?
Old 12-23-2008, 04:54 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

that happened to me too with the vinyl stick on numbers. but the paint was 15 years old at the time.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The red stucco tape works well and leaves near zero residue. There is a similar tape that's black and works equally well. I don't know the name of it.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:12 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the nose of my car was already way too dinged up for me to worry about it much. I still tape up some of the higher ding areas with painters tape, but I dont usually worry about it too much. Good to know that I could use PVC tape though, Ill remember that after I get a new paint job.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:27 AM
kermooni
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that

Here is what some of the Bimmer and Porsche boys I run with use:
http://www.uline.com/BL_3110/?pricode=wf725

Get notified of new replies

To Personal TSB: PVC Tape for Paint Protection

Quick Reply: Personal TSB: PVC Tape for Paint Protection