Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA changes out today

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:33 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Default SCCA changes out today

This was just released see the scca site for more detail

Touring
Item 1. Effective 1/1/09: Change section 9.1.10.D.9.a.1 as follows:
1. The driver’s seat (only) shall be replaced with a one-piece bucket-type race seat. Factory seat tracks/brackets may
be modified, reinforced, and/or removed to facilitate replacement mountings provided they perform no other function. All
other seats may be removed.
Item 2. Effective 1/1/09: Change section 9.1.10.D.9.d. as follows:
1. Sun visors, grab handles, and removable head rests may be removed.
2. OEM Driver’s seat belt assembly may be removed.
3. Carpet/padding may be cut for roll cage installation.
4. Interior trim panels may be cut solely to permit passage and attachment of roll cage front and rear hoop braces. Dashboard may
be cut solely to allow passage of roll cage front downtubes. All other interior panels shall remain unmodified unless otherwise so permitted
on the vehicle’s TC Specification Line.
5. Spare wheels and tires may be removed. Jacks and OEM tool kits shall be removed. Tire well covers and other recess covers shall
be removed from trunks and the rear areas of hatchback automobiles unless positively fastened at multiple locations via mechanical
means.
1. Front passenger seat, rear seat back, rear seat bottom cushion(s), sun visors, seat belts and their attaching hardware and bracketry
may be removed. In any automobile where allowed removal of rear seats, upholstery, etc., creates an opening between the driver/
passenger compartment and an exposed gas tank, fuel cell, or part thereof, a metal bulkhead which completely fills such opening
shall be installed (See GCR 9.3.26.1.)
2. Carpets, carpet padding, center consoles, floor mats, headliners, sun roof liner and frame, dome lights, grab handles, and their
insulating, attaching or operating mechanisms may be removed.
3. Any removable covers used to cover spare tires, tools, bins, etc., may be removed along with attaching hardware and bracketry.
4. Removal of radio and speaker components is permitted.SCCA Fastrack News January 2009 Page 7
5. All other interior trim panels, except the dashboard, may be removed. Other than to provide for the installation of required safety
equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by exracer28
5. All other interior trim panels, except the dashboard, may be removed. Other than to provide for the installation of required safety
equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted.
What constitutes the dashboard, just the dials and gauges in front of the driver or is it the whole dash pad from one side of the car to the other?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by exracer28
This was just released see the scca site for more detail

Touring
Item 1. Effective 1/1/09: Change section 9.1.10.D.9.a.1 as follows:
1. Front passenger seat, rear seat back, rear seat bottom cushion(s), sun visors, seat belts and their attaching hardware and bracketry
may be removed. In any automobile where allowed removal of rear seats, upholstery, etc., creates an opening between the driver/
passenger compartment and an exposed gas tank, fuel cell, or part thereof, a metal bulkhead which completely fills such opening
shall be installed (See GCR 9.3.26.1.)
2. Carpets, carpet padding, center consoles, floor mats, headliners, sun roof liner and frame, dome lights, grab handles, and their
insulating, attaching or operating mechanisms may be removed.
3. Any removable covers used to cover spare tires, tools, bins, etc., may be removed along with attaching hardware and bracketry.
4. Removal of radio and speaker components is permitted.SCCA Fastrack News January 2009 Page 7
That's good news, to me anyway! They also did lower the minimum weight of the C5's to 3180 lbs (from 3280) and of the C6's to 3450. This bums me out a little bit because I could never get down to the 3280 limit anyway, and I seriously doubt the passenger seat and carpet will be worth another 100 pounds.

I guess the bright side is the cars should be a wee bit faster and maybe easier on brakes/bearings/etc at the lighter weight.

Here's a link to the actual document.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:48 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Mikah,

The concensus is that the interior removal is worth 80 lbs.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:11 PM
dsanders
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So realistically the C5 gets 80 lbs removed after the Viper got 100 lbs removed.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:20 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Mikah,

The concensus is that the interior removal is worth 80 lbs.
Yeah, I saw that on another forum. I'm hoping it's not true because that means I'll be around 3240 (ish) and now be 60 pounds over vs. the 40 that I am now.

Going to have to invest in a carbon hood, remove my big ol' plumbed fire system, and seat sliders to get a little closer - but 3180 still seems awfully low!

Maybe Santa will bring me some antigravity for Xmas!
Old 12-22-2008, 06:11 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Wow. They require C6's to weigh 3450 pounds??? That seems like a huge difference compared to an equally-prepared C5Z06 at 3180...

Is that with or without a driver and full tank of gas?
Old 12-22-2008, 06:19 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
Wow. They require C6's to weigh 3450 pounds??? That seems like a huge difference compared to an equally-prepared C5Z06 at 3180...

as raced.. driver, gear and whatever fluids you have in the car when you finish..

And our little LS6s dont have the HP that the C6s have btw.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer

The LS3 (430-436 HP) weights min 3450, the LS2 (400 HP) has a min weight of 3280.

And yes, young Mr. Sanders, the Viper deserved the 100 lbs removed, just as your C5 gets a theoretical 100 removed as well. But the C5s reduction is a greater percentage (3.15%) than the Vipers (2.70%).

Geez Dave, didn't you run a faster lap time than me at Summit Point this past spring?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ryan0
as raced.. driver, gear and whatever fluids you have in the car when you finish..

And our little LS6s dont have the HP that the C6s have btw.
So that's total weight at impound, including driver ... That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

"little LS6s" - that's funny. Guess I should be happy to have one of those 'overweight' LS3 C6's then ...
Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

These very reasonable interior changes should have been done years ago. Interiors burn but yet I have to have nomex socks! Anyway I wonder why the final change? Could it be to stem the flight to ST2 NASA? Could it be to lure some less prepped ST2 cars back into SCCA? Did SCCA finally realized interiors can burn? Either way a good decision from my point of view and it makes it way easier to build a Touring car without worry about how much interior you have cut out.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Knucklehead Racing
Instructor

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
The LS3 (430-436 HP) weights min 3450, the LS2 (400 HP) has a min weight of 3280.

And yes, young Mr. Sanders, the Viper deserved the 100 lbs removed, just as your C5 gets a theoretical 100 removed as well. But the C5s reduction is a greater percentage (3.15%) than the Vipers (2.70%).

Geez Dave, didn't you run a faster lap time than me at Summit Point this past spring?

Mr. Sanders: Are you sure you want to go there? Let's see...the 2007
C6 (which I race) which is currently 80 pounds over gets? Oh yes, I can remove the interior like everyone else and get to 3280. Ummm...you get to remove the interior and get to 3180. Yeah, I would be complaining if I were you. Take some advice: be quiet!

As for the other Dave, you should see DS's in car video and mine too of those freaking Vipers just walk away on any straight line. But that's okay with me. I know the three of us always drive as hard as possible so if there are any changes to be made they will be addressed.

Looking forward to seeing you guys out there SOON!!!

LET'S GO RACING!
-Phil
Old 12-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by mikahb
That's good news, to me anyway! They also did lower the minimum weight of the C5's to 3180 lbs (from 3280) and of the C6's to 3450. This bums me out a little bit because I could never get down to the 3280 limit anyway, and I seriously doubt the passenger seat and carpet will be worth another 100 pounds.

I guess the bright side is the cars should be a wee bit faster and maybe easier on brakes/bearings/etc at the lighter weight.

Here's a link to the actual document.
I was wondering the same thing. The only way I would have to worry about the old 3280 lbs weight is if I drop from 200 lbs to my 9th grade weight of 140lbs.

Now I can lose 160 LBS from the car according to the new rules, but I have no idea how I can get there.

Oli

Last edited by Olitho; 12-22-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Olitho
I was wondering the same thing. The only way I would have to worry about the old 3280 lbs weight is if I drop from 200 lbs to my 9th grade weight of 140lbs.

Now I can lose 160 LBS from the car according to the new rules, but I have no idea how I can get there.

Oli
Have your son drive the car...end of weight problem.

Hey Phil...I have witnessed more than one C5 or C6 pull me in the straights...including yours.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:28 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikahb
Yeah, I saw that on another forum. I'm hoping it's not true because that means I'll be around 3240 (ish) and now be 60 pounds over vs. the 40 that I am now.

Going to have to invest in a carbon hood, remove my big ol' plumbed fire system, and seat sliders to get a little closer - but 3180 still seems awfully low!

Maybe Santa will bring me some antigravity for Xmas!
There's always Jenny Craig too Mikah!
Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rasrboy
There's always Jenny Craig too Mikah!

Sadly, I fear the only substantial fat reserves I have left to shed are between my ears. And, if that went, my helmet wouldn't fit anymore.

I know there are guys who got their C5's down to 3280 - so it can be done. Now pulling out 80 pounds of interior and getting down another 100 pounds will be quite a trick! But, I bet there will be guys at 3184 at the end of races. I guess I'll just start pulling pieces and see where I end up!

I'm very happy with the high quality cage in my car - but sometimes I wonder if the cage could be the difference between getting there and not. From what I can tell, mine exceeds requirements as outlined in the GCR. If that's the case, I'll take an extra 30 pounds of cage and just drive a wee bit harder.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
What constitutes the dashboard, just the dials and gauges in front of the driver or is it the whole dash pad from one side of the car to the other?
Since the dashboard is referenced with respect to removing "trim panels", I think it is the "thing" which runs the width of the car.

Looks like I have a bit more work to do this weekend before the corner balance.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA changes out today

Old 12-23-2008, 02:23 AM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Now if they would just let you guys put good brakes on the car, you would really see some happy faces!!

I have never understood the factory brake setup rule
Old 12-23-2008, 05:42 AM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 AM
JMB92
Advanced

Stop the infighting guys. I have access to professional level simulation tools; it's pretty much square between all the Vettes and the Viper, just go race.

Road America Simulation laps:

Car Power Dragforce Weight
C6 LS3 2:22.42 418 rwhp .8624 CdA 3450 lbs
Viper 2:22.51 430 rwhp .9384 CdA 3600 lbs
C6 LS2 2:22.63 391 rwhp .8624 CdA 3280 lbs
C5 LS6 2:22.55 383 rwhp .9016 CdA 3180 lbs

F360C 2:20.47 333 rwhp .784 CdA 2853 lbs
F430C 2:20.08 411 rwhp .784 CdA 3350 lbs

These (Viper/Vettes) are all within the margin of error of the models I can build. Of course the simulation runs on a track with perfect weather, no bumps, etc . . . . so the laps are faster than achievable. The Viper model needs work, with a dyno sheet and DL1 data from a decent lap I could make it much, much better.

Check the summary table. C5 is best in steady state handling, Ferrari 430 is the worst because of the small front tires. Ferrari 360 is best through the kink, but almost the worst on the straightaway. Viper is best out of corners, but it's aero flattens it's top end speed a bit.

Bottom line, is we're all toast if someone doesn't act on the Ferraris. To be honest I think the gap is bigger than this, I assumed a 15% driveline loss for them. It's probably not that much.
[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: SCCA changes out today