Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What age driver can participate in HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:41 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default What age driver can participate in HPDE?

Hey guys -

I did my first HPDEs this year, and plan on doing many more in 2009.

I have a teenage son and would like to take him with me next summer. I hope to enroll him in a 2-3 day formal driver training school to make sure he gets a compehensive and structured program to start with.

After that, I would like to take him along to HPDEs to get as much seat time as possible for both of us.

I have both a C5 and Z06, so we could each drive a car.

Can anyone tell me what the limits are for teenage drivers?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
Hey guys -

I did my first HPDEs this year, and plan on doing many more in 2009.

I have a teenage son and would like to take him with me next summer. I hope to enroll him in a 2-3 day formal driver training school to make sure he gets a compehensive and structured program to start with.

After that, I would like to take him along to HPDEs to get as much seat time as possible for both of us.

I have both a C5 and Z06, so we could each drive a car.

Can anyone tell me what the limits are for teenage drivers?

Thanks in advance.
I imagine it is up to the organizer.

If he is of legal driving age, I would suggest some time in Solo events before going to open track events, which have far less structure than a driving school.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:11 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many events allow minors with drivers licenses to attend, as long as the guardian signs the waiver form.

Just contact the organizers. Oh, and props for being an awesome dad.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:05 AM
carnut101
Burning Brakes

I started at 16. The first few events, I went with my dad. Once I got the hang of towing the car to the track, we went with notarized waivers so I could go alone.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:43 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Most of the organizers in the east coast areas require drivers to be 18 with a valid drivers license. One allows 16 year olds with parental concent. Check with the event organizer for specifics.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
I imagine it is up to the organizer.
Correct. Most HPDE clubs require the drivers to be at least 18 yeas of age.

Some clubs will allow teens to drive as long as a parent is at the event driving as well.

Contact each club. For the NCM events we do allow teens to participate as long as a parent is participating as well.

That said, I think this is a great way for teens to learn how to drive. Your a great dad

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12-21-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:38 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

I think NASA allows under 16.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:43 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Someone allows younger drivers because I believe there was a 14 yr old racing in SM this year.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Racin Jason
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ProgGod
I think NASA allows under 16.
Yep, I started with NASA when I was 14, and got competition license at 15. In fact Wallyman was in comp school with me iirc!

We had to get special permission from the head guys of NASA for this.
They had to see my prior experience in karts, and autocross before they let me start, and everyone was keeping a close eye on me!

But, I think regular circumstances you must be at least 16 and have a valid driver's license and parent present.

Last edited by Racin Jason; 12-21-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:26 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racin Jason
Yep, I started with NASA when I was 14, and got competition license at 15. In fact Wallyman was in comp school with me iirc!

They had to see my prior experience in karts, and autocross before they let me start, and everyone was keeping a close eye on me!

But, I think regular circumstances you must be at least 16 and have a valid driver's license and parent present.
HEY MAN! havent seen you around in a while. whats up!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Racin Jason
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
HEY MAN! havent seen you around in a while. whats up!
Hey

I know man! It's been way to long. Plan on catching up and doing all the NASA events coming up next season though. Just been autocrossing lately.

Want to put a roll cage in my FRC and bring it out to the track, but will probably end up running the Diasio again next year.

Hope to see you out their in Feb!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:38 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

sweeeeeeeeet
Old 12-21-2008, 12:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You had Kart experience, that makes a big difference.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:14 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Obviously min. age is dictated by each organization, but ultimately I would think this is determined by the liability insurance they carry. Does NASA not have liability coverage for participants like SCCA does?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:20 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
Wow! Obviously min. age is dictated by each organization, but ultimately I would think this is determined by the liability insurance they carry. Does NASA not have liability coverage for participants like SCCA does?
they do

http://www.nasaproracing.com/insurance/summary.pdf
Old 12-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR2L8

I would strongly suggest that he does a year in autocross first. He can learn low speed car control instead of high speed (loss of ) control. He will make mistakes, as we all do, and they are very forgiving on an autocross track At an HPDE you can lose control at 120 mph and it will hurt a lot. You want him to be safe and successful and autocross is a great way to start.

good luck
Old 12-21-2008, 02:30 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
I would strongly suggest that he does a year in autocross first. He can learn low speed car control instead of high speed (loss of ) control. He will make mistakes, as we all do, and they are very forgiving on an autocross track At an HPDE you can lose control at 120 mph and it will hurt a lot. You want him to be safe and successful and autocross is a great way to start.

good luck
Meh, dont worry about it. HPDE 1 is very tame. Instructors will keep him safe. Go out and have a good weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To What age driver can participate in HPDE?

Old 12-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Meh, dont worry about it. HPDE 1 is very tame. Instructors will keep him safe. Go out and have a good weekend.
Yeah Wally, but I am going to be instructing this year. Me and tame generally don't go well together in the same sentence. And aren't you about 15 now? See you at VIR in Feb

Bob
Old 12-21-2008, 03:03 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Yeah Wally, but I am going to be instructing this year. Me and tame generally don't go well together in the same sentence. And aren't you about 15 now? See you at VIR in Feb

Bob
I'm 15 AND A HALF.

i see theyre letting anyone instruct now...
Old 12-21-2008, 05:38 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son turned 16 in April and started HPDE with me in November. All that was required was a DL and a parent-signed waiver.

His first car is a Miata. I felt better about him starting out both on the street and on the track with a little less HP.

His instructor was a friend I met at the track who got to know him over the last couple years. I think knowing his instructor made it a little easier.

His driving improved quickly and he hasn't stopped talking about it for the last two months!

Here's a picture from his 2nd session on Sunday. Just his luck the photograher was in the right place at the right time! Thought this might dampen his spirits but he went out the next session and got back to speed quickly.

http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...ewImage=594372

Harness bar and harnesses are under the tree this year! (Car already has a roll bar.)

It really has done wonders for his driving skills as well as his self confidence both on and off the track.

John

Quick Reply: What age driver can participate in HPDE?