Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Clutch Pack in Diff???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:48 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Default Need Advice.....Carbon Clutch Pack in Diff???

My C5Z is fairly stock running "R" compound R888's with a few bolt ons and I roadcourse about once a month. I am still just a newb but want to do this right. Is this a worthwile upgrade. The carbon diff clutches are a $280 upgrade. I am already getting a fluid pump with external cooler and don't wanna skimp but do not want to throw cash at just anything. Like most everyone money is valuable these days but if the carbon clutches last that much longer or if there is a noticeable performance benefit I will upgrade. I figured with the cooler that the carbon would be less of a factor, but I do not have any personal experience with this so any opinions would be appreciated

Last edited by NemesisC5; 12-16-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:54 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Looking for Advice...Please Step In

Anyone.....Anyone?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I see absolutely no reason that you should need this. With heat control, the OEM-style clutches work fine. I don't no if you are concerned about slippage, chatter, or durability, but I personally think if it's unnecessary. Just my $.02
Old 12-16-2008, 07:20 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I see absolutely no reason that you should need this. With heat control, the OEM-style clutches work fine. I don't no if you are concerned about slippage, chatter, or durability, but I personally think if it's unnecessary. Just my $.02
Thank You David, with so many options & upgrades available sometimes it's hard for someone ( a beginner in my case ) to figure out what is pay me now or pay me later type equipment. Thanks Again
Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

I've been autocrossing my '00 hardtop since I got it in '02, and with 180,000+ miles on her the diff is still fine.

As long as you're putting down close to stock hp numbers and just running DEs I don't think you need to run diff coolers. I've not heard of many problems with diffs burning up doing either DEs or autox.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-17-2008, 05:37 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I've been autocrossing my '00 hardtop since I got it in '02, and with 180,000+ miles on her the diff is still fine.

As long as you're putting down close to stock hp numbers and just running DEs I don't think you need to run diff coolers. I've not heard of many problems with diffs burning up doing either DEs or autox.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
I purchased the car used from a guy that had been roadcoursing it before and was told the diff had been previously replaced already. I thought that might be a good thing but as it turns out the replacement was not very good. Although not always necessary, I heard from others that keeping everything cool is a good idea if you're going to be tracking it....so I took the opportunity. The fluid pump is a $350 upgrade from RPM Transmissions and I'm guessing another $300 max in cooler, fittings and line.

Take care and thanks for your input

Scotty

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Clutch Pack in Diff???

Quick Reply: Carbon Clutch Pack in Diff???