Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 08:11 AM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Selection

2008 was my first year doing track events, (5 total). Guess I am hooked and now wish drive as safe as possible.

I am looking to purchase a seat. Based on what I have read, I am leaning toward a Sparco with the mount kit from Hardbar. I am not quite sure which model Evo, Evo 2, etc. is best, (I am 6' 200 lbs). The problem is that I haven't tried out any for fit or comfort.

Any one have better suggestions or advice? I want to be ready for the NASA event at Road Atlanta in March.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:06 AM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Carivaggio. Pricey but I still drive my car on the street so I wanted something that allowed me to keep the stock seat rail and the power seat stuff. I have a Sparco harness bar with 6pt harnesses as well. Hey do like I did and buy them for Christmas! If you do better get your order in it takes some time if you go this route!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:29 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lbarnard
I have Carivaggio. Pricey but I still drive my car on the street so I wanted something that allowed me to keep the stock seat rail and the power seat stuff....

I use the Simpson 6 point harness with B-K harness bar and lap/sub strap mounting point with the R3 neck restraint.

I am 6' 280 pounds and I fit in the Caravaggio seat and not on it.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:11 AM
MYRX
Instructor

I have Carivaggio. Pricey but I still drive my car on the street so I wanted something that allowed me to keep the stock seat rail and the power seat stuff....

I actually saw your seats at the NASA in August, (you had the yellow Z). I did not think that your seats were made to allow the six-point harness?? I did not remember seeing the slot in the seat. Please confirm because the seats you had were indeed nice.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:53 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Originally Posted by MYRX

I actually saw your seats at the NASA in August, (you had the yellow Z). I did not think that your seats were made to allow the six-point harness?? I did not remember seeing the slot in the seat. Please confirm because the seats you had were indeed nice.
Yes I remember hello again. The 6 point harness does fit with these seats. The sub-belts can either come through the seat (the seat bun comes off and there is a slot) or you can simply sit on that portion which is recommended per the instructions that came with the harness. Very comfortable. You have to buy a few fittings for the 6 pt harness pretty straight forward. Also there are 2 holes in the seat back that allow the shoulder portion to slide through. When I am not on track I just pull the should harnesses back they rest behind the seat the sub-belts rest out of the way under the seat; I use my regular shoulder harness when driving on the street.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Which Caravggio seat are you using? The C5 based seat, Race seats or the GT Race seats? I'm currently 6'3" 200lbs and leaning towards the Sparco Evo2 Plus. With the Sparco seat and a Hardbar seat mount, it's well over $1000. I would consider spending the extra $'s on the Caravaggio...that's if I could fit comfortably in the seat. It would certainly eliminate the need for swapping the seats out for track days.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:34 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I installed a Kirkey seat in my C5Z last February and ran the car at just about every track in the Southeast this year with the excpetion of the Florida region. It cost me a whopping $350 including the cover. I used a C5 manual seat track and fabricated everything myself. It is super comfy and can be removed in a matter of minutes. It was the best investment I made all year to the car (along with the oil cooler). I couldn't imagine dropping over a grand for a seat. You didn't mention what kind of harness bar you are using.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:37 AM
lbarnard
Racer

I have the Carivaggio C5 ZO6 race seats added the ZO6 logo
Old 12-14-2008, 08:01 AM
MYRX
Instructor

You didn't mention what kind of harness bar you are using.

I have a hardbar now and do have a 6 point harness, but learned these were useless on my stock seats. Regarding the Kirkey, what model did you purchase? Did you also need to include a rear seat support in the set-up.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Any racing seat should have a back support fastened to a hard point on the car.

Bill
Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Pictured below is how I did my seat back brace. Because the verticle bends required to attach to the seat come to a "V" I had to hand form them as opposed to bend them on my brake. Its held with four 1/4" bolts to the seat and 1/4" bolts to the bulkhead behind the seat. I simply installed 6 threaded inserts into the bulkhead. May be too many, but because they are only inserts I went over board. Solid as a rock. There is a rise in the shelf so the panel cannot go flat all the way back which makes it a bit more difficult to make.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Selection

Quick Reply: Seat Selection