Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will it Blow?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:14 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Will it Blow?

Reading about Modded motors blowing has me worried.

I have an 02 LS6 with a mild cam and now ported LS6 heads turning 429 RWHP.... I enjoy about 4 VIR sessions a year .... Am I on borrowed time?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:57 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

My blown engine was a sc'd stock bottom car that I drove the crap out of it on the track. When it blew, it was at 552 rwhp which is the above the conventional 550 rwhp for safe stock bottom. I would think at 429 you would be ok for just 4 trips a year, especially if the tune is right. I did have a guy at the track tell me one time that engine stress is geometric, like decibels - meaning the stress on the valve train at 6500 is twice the stress at 6000. Not sure is that is matters seeing some people bump up their rev limiters. New motor is now fully forged, na, torque monster that is a blast to drive. Can't wait to get back to VIR again! Hope to see you there sometime.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:29 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Default Cool

I am not too aggressive with the car. I always try to shift in the 5800 range confused on what oil is the best but been running mobil1 for the life of the car. Hopefully she holds...

First session is March 2-3 for me Hope to see ya there

Paul
Old 12-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Bulitt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you worried about it "blowing" from
Spinning a bearing from lack of lubrication ?
Detonation from high compression or lean condition ?
Eating a valve from valvetrain failure?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:07 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The major things to consider for track longevity are oil, rpm and tune. Fresh high quality oil is an absolute necessity. You might consider a top quality external oil cooler if not already installed, keeps temps much lower. Your tune should not be ragged edge lean trying to get the last HP out of the motor. Too many folks have holed pistons due to lean conditions. Keeping the RPM to a max of 5800 to 6000 should allow your mildly modded engine to last a long time. See you at VIR !!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:39 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Default :)

Just seems i have seen a few threads in here saying Modded motors blow up.... Maybe these were the extream modded.... So what I am gathering is a good quality oil and an oil cooler ... keeping shift points at 5800 and everything should hold um ok as long as tune is not leaning her out too much... :-)
Old 12-13-2008, 11:16 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The only point I would add that has been commented on in the past is that LS engines (wet sump) on long sweepers have a tendency to run dry without an Accusump system. Other smaller assistance items (oil overflow catch can, restrictor push rods, new replacement pcv valve with smaller restrictor and drilling a small hole in lifter trays to assist oil return to pan). A little extra oil (1/2-1 qt.) good radiator, external oil cooler as previously mentioned.

I have 18 track events and 2 open road races on a crate LS3 without any issues. Just change oil and filter.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:45 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I am adding an Accusump and EOC this winter. It is cheap insurance for a $10k motor.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Paul call me. Come on over and look at my accu-sump set up.

Poor oiling or oil starvation causes #7 to fail. Hog pen turn 17 on VIR is where it happens. ( long high speed right hand sweeper on to the front straight )

Poor cooling around #8 causes that one to fail
Old 12-13-2008, 02:42 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Poor oiling or oil starvation causes #7 to fail. Hog pen turn 17 on VIR is where it happens. ( long high speed right hand sweeper on to the front straight )
Very good info on Turn 17
Is that the only turn at VIR full that is really an issue, what about the blind left hander (T10?) down hill right before oak tree? Oak tree itself?

Get notified of new replies

To Will it Blow?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will it Blow?