Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column Lock and lazy towing to the track

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:00 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Default Column Lock and lazy towing to the track

Does anyone know or has anyone removed the column lock pin in the steering column? I am experimenting with flat towing the C5 racecar and would like to remove this lock so I can tow it without the key in the ignition.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Does anyone know or has anyone removed the column lock pin in the steering column? I am experimenting with flat towing the C5 racecar and would like to remove this lock so I can tow it without the key in the ignition.
i didnt cut the pin... i just took the whole lock out and moved it behind the dash.

wires need to stay in place or the engine cut off will engage.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:49 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you need the key in the ignition to tow your car?
Old 12-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

You can also do the CLB and the steering wheels will not lock. I am not that familiar with the 6 speeds on flat towing but the old Muncie's had a problem if you flat towed to far--getting gear oil to lubricate the gears.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:49 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gordy M
You can also do the CLB and the steering wheels will not lock. I am not that familiar with the 6 speeds on flat towing but the old Muncie's had a problem if you flat towed to far--getting gear oil to lubricate the gears.
Really? I thought a muncie was some kind of manual gearbox. I thought only autos had a flat tow issue.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Why do you need the key in the ignition to tow your car?
Because if you flat tow you need the front wheels caster to follow the wheels on the tow vehicle when you turn corners. A friend once had his key in position 2 so the wheel could freewheel. Some how the lock came in despite this and the resulting tire grab as he rounded a corner caused nice body damage to both cars as they flailed violently. So removing the lock is a good idea in this case.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:57 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I cut the perimeter of the lock plate on a lathe so even if the lock activates it cannot lock into anything. If you search the C5 tech section there is a thread with something similar.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

If it's a racecar, you're required to remove the column lock, aren't you?
NASA has a rule in the CCR concerning steering wheel locks:

"15.9 Steering Wheel Lock
The steering wheel locks should be removed except where authorized by class rules or by exception from the Race Director."
Old 12-11-2008, 04:35 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
If it's a racecar, you're required to remove the column lock, aren't you?
NASA has a rule in the CCR concerning steering wheel locks:

"15.9 Steering Wheel Lock
The steering wheel locks should be removed except where authorized by class rules or by exception from the Race Director."
Yes and there are too many rules!!! I may race with as many as 5 different people so boy do I have a headache. Anyway, So now that is it common knowledge that a big club like NASA requires this alot of you have done this...how do you do it?

I hear cut part out so the lock can't lock.

I hear use the CLB to block it off but is that NASA legal because the lock is still there?

I hear watch out because if it is not hooked up something in the electronics does not like that?? True? False?

So what I am looking for are some instructions that some of you racers have done so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. I appreciate all your guys advice since you guys have been there done that.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:31 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear watch out because if it is not hooked up something in the electronics does not like that?? True? False?

If you pull the steering wheel you can pull the whole mechanism off.

There is enough wire to strap it behind the dash.

True. If you cut the wires it WILL shut the car off if you go over 5mph.

You can program it out, but I have not tried to cut the cables after the programming. Figured there was no need.

Get notified of new replies

To Column Lock and lazy towing to the track

Quick Reply: Column Lock and lazy towing to the track