Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Economy and your racing plans

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:33 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Default The Economy and your racing plans

So, with the economy the way it is right now, and things being uncertain in many job sectors, how many people are re-thinking their level of competition this year?

I bought the Z06 to Autocross this coming season, and things have slowed enough @ work where I've started to think about my abilities to travel as far, or as much as I had planned back in August when I planned everything out.

Put off buying the extra wheels, tires, trailer and hitch until I know more about where the company is heading and might have to run a smaller-scale schedule this year, doing more local events, and maybe skipping events I was wanting to do. Have to check with my co-driver for some events as well.

Just curious as to what you guys and gals are thinking...
Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut
So, with the economy the way it is right now, and things being uncertain in many job sectors, how many people are re-thinking their level of competition this year?

I bought the Z06 to Autocross this coming season, and things have slowed enough @ work where I've started to think about my abilities to travel as far, or as much as I had planned back in August when I planned everything out.

Put off buying the extra wheels, tires, trailer and hitch until I know more about where the company is heading and might have to run a smaller-scale schedule this year, doing more local events, and maybe skipping events I was wanting to do. Have to check with my co-driver for some events as well.

Just curious as to what you guys and gals are thinking...
I might have a buyer for my car, if the # is right I'll still be racing but at a cheaper level.

As of right now though I still plan to attend as many events as I did last year if gas stays at 1.50ish a gallon it should cut the cost of racing by 30% or so.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:42 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The only difference between now and 6 months or 1 yr ago, is we are spending $150/mo on fuel instead of $400-$500. And the 401k/Roth are obviously down, but I'm 32 so it's paper money anyway. Just buy up more of it now while everything is on sale.

Tracking away in '09, just nailed down my first date yesterday
Old 12-10-2008, 10:47 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

plan on doing more then last year now due to i will feel like burning the fuel to drive 180 one way to the track compared to when it was 4.00 a gallong
Old 12-10-2008, 11:25 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Well, we met with our realtor yesterday since we're selling this house and moving to San Diego. Had a bit of a reality check about timing and pricing of selling this place!

The only comps he could find were both on the market more than 400 (!!!) days and sold at a price/SF that would mean we're selling at a loss. That is really disappointing and will definitely affect our plans for next year. I hate to do it, but I'm considering implemting a "no races until the house is sold" rule - might have to since we'll be renting a house in SD while we're trying to sell.

So, it might slow us down a bit, but we'll definitely make enough races to qualify for championships and keep licenses current. And, assuming we can close a sale in 2009, we'll be in great shape in 2010!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

My wheel to wheel racing in 2009 will be driven by when and where I want to race more than the economy. Trips to Mid-Ohio (9 hrs) and Watkins Glen (11 hrs), and Road Atlanta (6.5 hrs) are the only places I really care to travel to. VIR and High Rock (if built) are effectively local for me. Roebling Road in GA (6 hrs) is a possibility. At this point I expect to race in more events than in 2008.

Will be racing in NASA ST2 and SCCA ITE. The determining factors will be participation level of Corvettes in my class to race against, racing with people I know or have met, and the dates. I will travel, but these factors will determine whether I travel or not.

I am retired and racing is a hobby for me. I am not racing in any specific series or for a championship. Just doing it for fun: when I want to, where I want to, and if I want to. This makes it the most flexible, absolutely the most fun, and opens up a lot of possibilities for dates, tracks, and competition.

Ed
Old 12-10-2008, 12:29 PM
anotherone
Pro

my income is fixed pretty much so the real factor was gas. I tow with a motor home at 7mpg its ouchy. Now that gas has come down let er rip!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Minimizing my track days w the Ferrari 512TR

Waiting to see what my mechanic says that my 1970 IMSA Vette needs will cost

engine rebuild
repaint
new wheels tires brakes
new race seat stering wheel

if thats all too much I'll just park the race cars and just track my 07 Z06road car

ride my bike more, maybe take up sailing a catamaran or kiteboarding
Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

ok, so mostly the people here all seem to agree that their jobs aren't the things driving thier plans... it was fuel costs... since most sound like they're retired, or just decently well off, it's a non-issue.

for those of us that still work and have jobs that are a bit dicey when the economy turns crappy, it makes a differnce.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:57 PM
OzCop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a dozen HPDEs and 20 autocrosses, including Nationals in Lincoln, Ne. on my schedule. Retired, and fuel costs was my nemisis in 2008. Also tow with RV to overnight weekends unless it's cheaper to get a motel. I use my Corvette for HPDEs, and Honda CRX Si for autocross...
Old 12-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

I race a spec miata so the pinch isn't bad, lol. my issue is having a 1 year old with another bun in the oven due in may/june--racing takes a back burner to the babies.

anybody doing the pboc 6-hour night race here in january?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

We're still planning on running a 5-car team and are taking delivery on a new double stacker trailer Renegade style. Life is good in a service biz!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

I plan on running more in '09 than I did in '08. Gonna try my best to give the C6Z a good showing at nationals.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:34 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

New heads and blower are just sitting till I can do up shortblock that can handle it.

Of course now I got to fix that seal leak
Old 12-10-2008, 06:18 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

We'll do a little less than last year but that's only because of work projects coming up next year and I'll have to travel a lot for them so my weekends will be screwed up.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:25 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by Datawiz
I plan on running more in '09 than I did in '08. Gonna try my best to give the C6Z a good showing at nationals.
I'm hoping to see you at a few events as well Craig.

I work for a steel fabricator, so we're quite slow right now, but was assured that it's a temporary thing..

Most likely use the x-mas bonus ( hear we're getting one still ), for the stuff I need for the car for the whole season... then it's just buying tires all year.

I still plan on doing the Tours @ Dixie and Peru, and Toledo Pro plus nationals. 6 local events or so... was hoping to hit a few various regions as well, but those will be the 1st cut from the schedule if I have to.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm still booking events, but at the same time wondering just how sane this is with everything going on in the world.

Get notified of new replies

To The Economy and your racing plans

Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Ill know more once the wells/wachovia merger is a done deal, but right now I plan to race more events this coming year. Fuel prices down is a nice benefit, but really did not cause a huge jump in costs since I live close to many tracks and I run a mix of 100/93 in the car anway...Now if Hoosier could make a tire that lasted 8 race weekends with no performance drop

Oh, and if Wally could stop modding his car, I would be better off.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I haven't worked in 2 years......out business closed long ago due to outsourcing (all of our customers went under....Textiles). So we made a decision for me to stay home with our kids, and are living on a tight budget.

I'll stick to a very tight budget, just instructing when I can do it for free....or get paid..... and fix my race car when my savings rebounds or we sell some real estate. I highly expect it to be 5-10 years before my personal finances are back in a position where I have any disposable income (I take my kids college very seriously....and my kids are 2 & 4)
Old 12-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

No trip to Pebble Beach weekend this year, No Ferrari Club Annual meet

I'll just hit a few big events in the NE and in FL

like Cavallino, Palm Beach Supercar Weekend,

http://www.italiancarsatpocono.com/ and

http://www.pocono-csd.com/index2.htm

Quick Reply: The Economy and your racing plans