Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a wrecked C5 worth???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:07 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a wrecked C5 worth???

A couple of us have our eyes on a "totaled" 2003 C5 FRC with the intention of building a dedicated track car. Damage seems to be limited to the front of the car. A visual at the salvage yard indicates that besides the obvious body work, it will also need cooling, steering and a complete front suspension rebuild, plus a frame rail on one side. We will be bidding on the car in a salvage auction, I imagine against those that will part the car out. My question is, what's it worth? How much can I expect to pay? I'll go in to the auction with a personal cap, but would like to know what a salvage company might pay. Anyone with experience along these lines? Thanks.

Bob
Old 12-06-2008, 08:45 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no idea regarding price, but there were no FRCs built in 2003. It's either a coupe or a Z06 depending on the back window.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:57 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

It's definitely a coupe then. Thanks!

Bob
Old 12-06-2008, 09:29 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

you can get early C5's for pretty cheap these days, so I'd personally stay away from a frame-damaged car unless it's just the front/rear crossbars etc.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:14 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flycastinguy
A couple of us have our eyes on a "totaled" 2003 C5 FRC with the intention of building a dedicated track car. Damage seems to be limited to the front of the car. A visual at the salvage yard indicates that besides the obvious body work, it will also need cooling, steering and a complete front suspension rebuild, plus a frame rail on one side. We will be bidding on the car in a salvage auction, I imagine against those that will part the car out. My question is, what's it worth? How much can I expect to pay? I'll go in to the auction with a personal cap, but would like to know what a salvage company might pay. Anyone with experience along these lines? Thanks.

Bob

Well I just saw some adds in another thread about 2002 Z06's that showed wrecked '02 Zs for around $14k buy-it-now on Flea bay.
Just a pie-in-the-sky guess but depending on miles, you are looking at $10-11k.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:44 PM
subtlez28
Racer

I saw a complete 01 Z06 for $15k. It had a salvage title, but was repaired.
It isn't mine, but I'll point you the way if you PM me (not sure how the rules are on posting other site threads here).

Last edited by subtlez28; 12-06-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: I had the year and $ one off.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:29 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

f it helps any, I paid $7900 for "my" parts 01 w/ 20k, some mods, bent frame (still haven't gotten around to really parting out what I don't need, hopefully will start soon).

As previously noted, i would stay away from any frame bent/repaired car for track work. Start with one that's got a known straight frame. A high mile straight 97-00 coupe can be found cheap.

either way good luck!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by flycastinguy

Bob
they go anywhere from 5 to 8k g/l
Old 12-07-2008, 01:05 PM
coffey
Racer

I got a straight FRC bare chassis for $1200. It was a theft recovery that another guy bought and never used. That is one way to start. I would rather have a straight chassis then have to fix a bent one. I have seen the rolling drivetrains on ebay for $7k or so. So for $8200 you have a car minus body.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:49 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a C6 in a salvage auction 2 years ago that I made into a racecar. These salvage guys can drive the price of the cars up pretty high. I wouldn't be afraid of a damaged frim, mine was. I bought a new frame rail from GM and had a frame shop cut off the old one, weld in the new one and check the frame for straightness. You need a good frame shop, but they can get the frame well within GM specs. By the way it cost about $3k for the repair so keep that in mind when bidding. Good luck, let me know if I can help.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports

Get notified of new replies

To What's a wrecked C5 worth???

Quick Reply: What's a wrecked C5 worth???