Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi pulls out of ALMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:03 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Audi pulls out of ALMS

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...-51BA72C2B827}

INGOLSTADT, Germany, Dec 05, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Audi announced it will concentrate its motorsports efforts for 2009 on the new R15 TDI sport prototype for the 24 Hours of Le Mans race, the re-worked race touring car A4 for the DTM circuit and the newly developed R8 LMS for customer use in the GT3 class. Audi also said it will not be represented by its factory team, Audi Sport North America, in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) in 2009.

[...]
Old 12-05-2008, 01:12 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

It was a good run.......I would be surprised if we don't see more shrinkage in motorsports in the coming years (especially non-NASCAR).
Old 12-05-2008, 02:21 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sucks, ALMS was just hitting their stride to the next level. Losing Audi is a huge hit for them...who's next Penske, Acura, then the show is over.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:48 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

1st Honda in F1, now this
Old 12-05-2008, 02:49 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Yes, but we'll have more TV time now for Pinks All Out.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:51 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Honda / Acura may be holding back on thier P1 plans do to the economy too.

Toyota ? who knows.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:04 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Old 12-05-2008, 03:22 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
And tow truck drivers in Chicago.

I didn't mind that Honda pulled out of F1 considering that I hate what is going on with F1 at the moment. It downright sucks that Audi is pulling out of the ALMS right now. It's just starting to take off and this is a major blow to the series IMO.

The good thing is that Audi is still active with LeMans prototypes and hopefully they will return as soon as the economy picks up again. You can't say the same about Honda in F1. Going back to F1 after leaving takes a major commitment.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:24 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never want to hear about shrinkage
Old 12-05-2008, 05:55 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by 95jersey
It sucks, ALMS was just hitting their stride to the next level. Losing Audi is a huge hit for them...who's next Penske, Acura, then the show is over.
Penske already left for Grand AM.

Last year in Grand Am for the Daytona 24, they had 68 entries. This year, the deadline was this week, they have 34 entries.

The impact of so many people and investors, et all losing value of their assets will no doubt trickle down to everyone.

Honda out of F1, Porsche out of ALMS with no Penske team. GM Saving money by eliminating mechanical pencils (really) in favor of #2 lead pencils as a "Cost cutting measure" is probably the signal that the Corvette factory team will not be in ALMS either but for maybe lemans or a couple of races total, and Probably no GT2.

It is hard to cut back on pencils then go ahead with a 20 million dollar ALMS program. And if they did race while asking for 19 BILLION dollars would be Corporate malpractice.

So I doubt that they will be back unless they have pictures of the executives doing nasty things.

Looks like a good year for a bunch of "Track days".

So be it.

Lou G

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 12-05-2008, 06:01 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Audi will supply a customer R8 car
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...car-first.html
Old 12-05-2008, 06:22 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Penske already left for Grand AM.

Last year in Grand Am for the Daytona 24, they had 68 entries. This year, the deadline was this week, they have 34 entries.

The impact of so many people and investors, et all losing value of their assets will no doubt trickle down to everyone.

Honda out of F1, Porsche out of ALMS with no Penske team. GM Saving money by eliminating mechanical pencils (really) in favor of #2 lead pencils as a "Cost cutting measure" is probably the signal that the Corvette factory team will not be in ALMS either but for maybe lemans or a couple of races total, and Probably no GT2.

It is hard to cut back on pencils then go ahead with a 20 million dollar ALMS program. And if they did race while asking for 19 BILLION dollars would be Corporate malpractice.

So I doubt that they will be back unless they have pictures of the executives doing nasty things.

Looks like a good year for a bunch of "Track days".

So be it.

Lou G

Lou,

What are your plans for next year? Will you be returning to ALMS - GT2?

Hopefully, your answer is "YES!!!" ... and we'll see you up at Mosport!

Mark
Old 12-05-2008, 07:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

doubt congress will approve much racing and I haven't heard of AIG or Citi guys flying commercial.

Last edited by John Shiels; 12-05-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:29 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

^*^&*^*&^&*$%$$$#& i wanted to go see them at RA next summer !!!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Audi and Penske leaving are no surprise. Porsche got what they wanted and have sold several cars to private teams. DHL is not doing good and Penske sure isn't going to foot the bill himself. Audi has been frustrated with the rules and have threatened to pull out the last 2 years. With no announcement by the final race it was obvious they would not be back. Maybe Dyson will still be running Porches.

I'm still hoping that AGR will be back but I doubt it with the merger of XM and Sirius. Last I heard Acura was looking for a P2 team to replace them. They were not having good luck.

Sports car racing will suffer in 09. Let's just hope the ALMS survives as a series.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

This is going to at least be good for T.V.. With no covering of the mano e mano GT1 and Audi and Penske out for sure, Acura possibly soon to follow, it will be all privateer racing at the top level. I like that idea.

And the emphasis will be on the epic battle in GT2 and they can quite skimping on the coverag of it. I do hope GM can get into GT2 though to add to the excitement. BUT NOT WITH TAX DOLLARS.

I hate to say it, but corvette racing needs to be put on hold for a little while.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

wow...what a shame. I really enjoyed watching the Audi's and I am happy I got to see them run in person a few times. What an amazing car!

So Penske is running in Grand AM? What car are they running? Did they sell off their P2 cars already?

Get notified of new replies

To Audi pulls out of ALMS

Old 12-05-2008, 09:25 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh
Lou,

What are your plans for next year? Will you be returning to ALMS - GT2?

Hopefully, your answer is "YES!!!" ... and we'll see you up at Mosport!

Mark
I am working on some deals as we speak, but things are tough out there.

We will see. It looks like we can start at Sebring (with new cylinder heads) and play it by ear.

If the Presidential runners can raise 750million, why can't we raise just 2mil??

LG
Old 12-07-2008, 08:36 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gatorac
Audi and Penske leaving are no surprise. Porsche got what they wanted and have sold several cars to private teams. DHL is not doing good and Penske sure isn't going to foot the bill himself. Audi has been frustrated with the rules and have threatened to pull out the last 2 years. With no announcement by the final race it was obvious they would not be back. Maybe Dyson will still be running Porches.

I'm still hoping that AGR will be back but I doubt it with the merger of XM and Sirius. Last I heard Acura was looking for a P2 team to replace them. They were not having good luck.

Sports car racing will suffer in 09. Let's just hope the ALMS survives as a series.
Dyson is rumored to race B-K Motorsports' Lola Mazdas. Acura and HPD have confirmed plans for two in LMP1 and one in LMP2. The LMP2 class is intended for privateers.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:42 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
I am working on some deals as we speak, but things are tough out there.

We will see. It looks like we can start at Sebring (with new cylinder heads) and play it by ear.

If the Presidential runners can raise 750million, why can't we raise just 2mil??

LG
Glad to hear that you are still planning on racing next year!

I'm planning on making the trip down to Sebring again next year, and I look forward to Watching the #28 Corvette roaring around the track! Last year at Petit Le Mans, I was fortunate enough to get a Baseball Hat from your team ... so I'll make sure to wear that as well

Will your team have more things for sale next season? The Flying Lizard guys always have some neat things up for sale to raise money. Corvette guys and gals love to be decked out in Corvette Stuff ... give us more GT2 Corvette Stuff!

Mark

Quick Reply: Audi pulls out of ALMS