Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:00 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Default Thank you

I would like to thank all of the great people who have reached out to me.I have always been a very strong person.I was brought up and taught that if you wanted something you worked for it.The harder that you worked the more good things would come your way.I really took that to heart at a young age.Working two and three jobs at a time.Paid my own way through college as my family could not afford it.Working for United Parcel 31+years until I could no lnonger pass the dot physical.I got hooked on racing at a very young age.My dad worked as a mechanic for a Chevy store when I was baby.My baby picture laying naked on the blanket had a rail road tie in the background.My mom explained that we were at the drag races with Pops.As I got old enough I too got into drag racing.Building and driving some really fast cars.Paying my way as I went.I bought my first vette in 1977.It was a 1966 vert.I really got the vette bug after that.I started buying and restoring old corvettes before they were worth a bunch.I just loved em.

Many years later I joined one of many clubs that I have been are part of.The club was talking about going to an autocross event.I had never tried it but thought what the hell.Another member had a ZR1 and offered to share it with me that day.I went and it was tough.All of those cones were like a maze that frankly I was lost in.The ZR1 started making some odd noises and since we had driven it the 2+hrs there we figured it best to just quit for the day and limp it back home.Up steps two ther guys who offered up their cars for us to use to finish up the day.Ken Kessler had his leased C5 and Aaron"racerboy"Quine had his red c4 race car.They insisted that we drive their cars.Aaron was quickly giving me a lesson on how his car worked putting the harness on me.The tranny would only work in a couple of gears and those were not gaurantees.Kenny and Aaron also helped me get through the course because apparently even though I had already made 4 runs I had DNF'd all of them because I was off course on each one.Finally with just one more run left Kenny came up to me and told me "dude,just put that first cone on this door and pay attention" well I made it.I attended a couple other weekends driving Aarons red rocket with the either full on or full off gas peddle and the tranny that well let's just say it went into a gear when and if it wanted too.Then I walked into the service department at the Chevy store that Racerboy worked at.He asked me if I was going to run at the upcoming event at MidOhio.I told him no.I did not have a comp license or a car that was sufficent.He said that he would call the regional comp director and explain that I had done a few auto cross events and that I had a very high end NHRA license and use his persuasion.I still would not be qualified to drive the red race car there though so I had no car.He picks up the phone and calls Kenny Kessler and asks him he would "allow Pancho Thompson to put his car around MidOhio".Kenny's response was that only if I would promise to drive his car as fast as I could possibly go.Kenny gave a very intersting first trip around MidOhio.We went off in turn 1.It did not matter I was hooked.I bought my own car.I like a lot of us here went racing at every opportunity.NHRA,NCCC,SCCA,PCA unsanctioned it did not matter

Through the racing I got to meet some of the greatest competitors and people in the country.The same people that I was competing against were the very same people who were quick to offer every thing from driving tips,tools,extra pair of hands to help work on the car,equipment that some times came right off of their cars,places to stay,even allowing me to drive their cars.Some of these people I had never met before that day and offered any thing to help.The racing was a blast but the friends that I have made are even greater.The list is so long and God willing it will continue to get even longer.People like Kenny Kessler,Rob Ovall, Aaron Quine for that matter the whole Quine clan,Danny Popp,Mike Edmundson,Dale Clark,Dave Hussong,John Taube,Geoff Gott,The Murphy's,The Parks,The Haskells,Rene Cardenas,Art Bell,Paul Zailey,Donna Littlejohn,The Rat Pack,just to name a few.I know that I will miss so many here and believe me there are so many to list my memory can do everyone justice.The people are what it is all about.

I have been through a tough time but I have come out of it with a new appreciation for things.The doctors have a handle on things now and I am feeling better everyday.I know that I can and will get back on track.When I learned how to go fast I was taught to look ahead and you will get where you need to and the father that you look ahead the faster that you will get there.So I am looking ahead and I know that I will get there with the help of the greatest people in the world
Thank All of You so very much
Pancho
Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's great to hear you're feeling better. I hope to meet you at the track someday!

--Ralph
(formerly from Painesville/Perry)
Old 12-05-2008, 11:50 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Old 12-05-2008, 12:20 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Pancho... It's great to see you post again. I wish you the best of luck on a fast recovery.
Take care,
Ed
Old 12-05-2008, 04:34 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Good to hear from you ... I'll tell the NCCC East Region guys tomorrow at our Regional meeting that you're at least at the "keyboard" stage of recovery!
Hope to see you somewhere next year ...
DennyM
Old 12-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Hey "Speedy" look so far ahead that you can see South Carolina.
Then come on down & run with us. We will be cranked up again by mid-March so come on down. Good times are waiting.
Later,
Anthony
Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's people that own cars,and there are true car people....God speed on your recovery.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 AM
xilr8n
Drifting

Hope to see you at Lakeland next year.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:09 PM
FASTZ
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that we are all trying to say Thank You.You have always been quick to help anyone at the race track or with a resto.I am glad to hear that you are feeling better because I need some help with that '63 fuelie that I bought and as much it pains me to say it I could use lessons from you out at Nelson Ledges this year so that maybe I can break your track record
Paul Z
Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 AM
FASTZ
Drifting

I tried calling you and your mail box is full.Give me a call
Old 12-11-2008, 09:14 AM
FASTZ
Drifting

I tried calling you again still full mailbox.Give me a call
Paul Z
Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Johnny
life is good
Old 12-13-2008, 06:36 PM
toolman44092
Pro

Some of those people are met in parking lots - like at Putnam. Well, at least that's what I'm told. I don't really remember.

Pancho is one of the main reasons I got into this sport. I'm "between" Corvettes right now though. If only he'd get a Harley, we'd find some trouble again.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:00 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see you back on the "net".

jeff
Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Pancho, that is great news on getting better. You know, when you look back on those that have meant a lot to you in this hobby/career, you need to always remember that we look at you with the same affection.

Godspeed in your recovery, friend.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:12 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 439 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Wrong thread

Last edited by C5R USA; 02-23-2019 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

Get notified of new replies

To Thank you

Quick Reply: Thank you