Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Understeer on 07 Z51

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 PM
blackbird345
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Understeer on 07 Z51

I took part in a time attack today, not sure what its called in the US but I think some call it parking lot racing. Anyway basically had to dodge cones and do a 360 etc.

Turns out I had quite a bit of trouble with understeer until I gave it a bit of gas then had trouble with oversteer. Basically I'm wondering if I get some wider tires for the front and rear if it will help me out with grip or should I get some adjustable shocks. I should probably mention I have an ECS supercharger and put down 535 rwhp, so that really didn't help either :-) I even spun out doing a 180 by accident as well. :-) yeah that was kinda scary. Any advice? Also should I be runing in Competitive mode or with TC/AH off?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

What you're discussing would be considered an autocross or gymkhana in the states. A couple of questions:

1. How much experience do you have in this form of racing?
2. Can you adjust the boost to limit your power?

Unless you've been doing this for quite a while you'd be well off to read through the tips/hints sticky at the top of this forum.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

assuming you're new to the sport, i'd put money on overdriving the car vs a problem with the suspension, especially with that much power.

otherwise...

softer front suspension (shocks/springs/swaybars)
stiffer rear suspension (shocks/springs/swaybars)
wider front tires
narrower rear tires
more front down force
less rear downforce
Old 12-01-2008, 08:50 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbird345
I took part in a time attack today, not sure what its called in the US but I think some call it parking lot racing. Anyway basically had to dodge cones and do a 360 etc.

Turns out I had quite a bit of trouble with understeer until I gave it a bit of gas then had trouble with oversteer. Basically I'm wondering if I get some wider tires for the front and rear if it will help me out with grip or should I get some adjustable shocks. I should probably mention I have an ECS supercharger and put down 535 rwhp, so that really didn't help either :-) I even spun out doing a 180 by accident as well. :-) yeah that was kinda scary. Any advice? Also should I be runing in Competitive mode or with TC/AH off?
A well balanced car with 50/50 weight distribution is steered with the throttle through a turn. ON throttle and OFF throttle balances it for the duration. That's the part you learn. With your SC, I'm sure you've added some wieght to the front but so maybe a little more grip up there.

What are you using for tire pressures? Have you experimented with that? That's where I would begin.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:46 AM
blackbird345
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It was my first time out with this type of racing. Tire pressures were all around 30psi, but rear tires were shot which explains why i lost it. Got them replaced the next day. What kind of tire pressure should I use?
Old 12-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

To fix the understeer try breaking a little later.

To fix the oversteer be more cautious with the gas pedal.

Get notified of new replies

To Understeer on 07 Z51

Quick Reply: Understeer on 07 Z51