Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bernie is completely off his rocker

Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bernie is completely off his rocker

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/20/t...a-medal-syste/

I'm completely 100% convinced now that Ferrari owns F1. If Ferrari would've won the driver's championship with Massa this year, I don't think that Bernie would be wanting to change the points system. Where was this debate during the Schumacher years?
Old 11-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by xsiveone
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/20/t...a-medal-syste/

I'm completely 100% convinced now that Ferrari owns F1. If Ferrari would've won the driver's championship with Massa this year, I don't think that Bernie would be wanting to change the points system. Where was this debate during the Schumacher years?

I think it's a good idea. Racing is about winning. It's not about points or 2nd or third place.
Points (reflected in number of 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.) should be the tie breaker.
Just my .02
Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I remember the SpeedGT championship was given one year to someone that NEVER WON A RACE.

I see rewarding consistency, but that's kinda ridiculous!
Old 11-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I am nostalgic, but I liked the old 9-6-4-3-2-1 point system thru sixth place only.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:05 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

It may not matter much WHAT Bernie wants.......Slavica is
divorcing him! According to the new Autoweek, almost ALL of the financial rights are in her name. They say it may be the "Biggest divorce in history"
Old 11-30-2008, 03:12 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Well there's another way of looking at it.

You want competition?
Then the lower teams need to $$$ to keep up with the upper tier

How do they get that $$$, but getting time on TV.

How do they get on TV, by being in the points.

How do they points w/o by being competitive.

That's the catch!

Now if points were awarded to all teams, then by shear consistency, some of the lower teams could wind up in the top of the points.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Short memory. During the Shumi years they changed the points to make winning a race LESS important. Not what Ferrari wanted.
  • Was: 10-6-4-3-2-1
  • Became: 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1
I did not like that and I like this even less.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:36 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I think that they should keep the points system the way it is except give first place more points. What Bernie is trying to do is incentivize first place. If he gave first place more points, more drivers would be trying to win every race.

If first place would've had just two more points, Massa would've won the championship by two points this season. That's what Bernie wants, isn't it?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:11 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
Short memory. During the Shumi years they changed the points to make winning a race LESS important. Not what Ferrari wanted.
  • Was: 10-6-4-3-2-1
  • Became: 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1
I did not like that and I like this even less.
You snuck in this post while I was responding.

You are right about Schumi, but looking back at it, the points wouldn't have mattered. The only difference would've been that Schumacher would've clinched the championship sooner. The point system wouldn't have helped Schumacher win the two championships against Alonso either.

What burns me about what Bernie is saying about why Massa should've won the championship because he has more race wins is that if it weren't for the FIA Stewards screwing Hamilton out of the race win at Spa and handing it to Massa, Hamilton would've had six wins to Massa's five. Also, there wouldn't have been any drama in Brazil because Hamilton would've clinched the championship before the final race.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Bernie is living proof that there are more horses rear ends around than there are horses....

He's the one who screwed around with the earlier points system to try to keep the championship from being decided earlier in the season and making the last few races irrelevant .

So he gets what he wants, the last two seasons have come down to the last lap of the last race and now he wants to change the system. NASCAR and IRL or any other racing series would LOVE to have the racing close enough so that the last race of the season determines the championship...

Bernie has proven time and again that he is nothing but a idiot...
Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
Bernie has proven time and again that he is nothing but a idiot...
...a very RICH idiot.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You snuck in this post while I was responding.

You are right about Schumi, but looking back at it, the points wouldn't have mattered. The only difference would've been that Schumacher would've clinched the championship sooner. The point system wouldn't have helped Schumacher win the two championships against Alonso either.
Interesting. I never did the calculation on the season that Schumi won under the 10-8-6... point system and what would have happened had it remained 10-6-4.... But my point was the reason it was done was to lessen the importance of winning. Hence Bernie is a putz.

if it weren't for the FIA Stewards screwing Hamilton out of the race win at Spa and handing it to Massa, Hamilton would've had six wins to Massa's five. Also, there wouldn't have been any drama in Brazil because Hamilton would've clinched the championship before the final race.
Have to disagree. Lewis screwed himself by taking the fight to Kimi too soon after yielding the position back. Had he NOT passed in the chicane he would not have been close enough to make the pass on that straight. Surely would have gotten him later, so it was a stupid move. Despite the ignorant Steve M saying he should get on Kimi's gearbox and makes the pass, he should not have.

Anyway, let's just agree to agree we hate Bernie!

Last edited by Bimota Guy; 12-02-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:43 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Interesting. I never did the calculation on the season that Schumi won under the 10-8-6... point system and what would have happened had it remained 10-6-4.... But my point was the reason it was done was to lessen the importance of winning. Hence Bernie is a putz.

Have to disagree. Lewis screwed himself by taking the fight to Kimi too soon after yielding the position back. Had he NOT passed in the chicane he would not have been close enough to make the pass on that straight. Surely would have gotten him later, so it was a stupid move. Despite the ignorant Steve M saying he should get on Kimi's gearbox and makes the pass, he should not have.
I disagree. It doesn't say anything in the sporting regulations about how much you're supposed to give up when you cut the chicane. It just says that you have to give up the position, which Hamilton did. They even clarified this during the next race. They said that if you cut the chicane, you're supposed to wait for at least one corner. If that's the rule, they should put it in the rule book.

What about the incident with Bourdais and Massa? I couldn't believe that they penalized Bourdais and gave Massa another point.

Anyway, let's just agree to agree we hate Bernie!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So let's get this straight. 2 years in a row the championship was decided in the last race of the season. This year it was decided on the last corner of the last lap of the last race of the season. That's no good, the points system definitely needs to be changed.

Get notified of new replies

To Bernie is completely off his rocker

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bernie is completely off his rocker