Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick spring question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:51 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default quick spring question

on my C5Z the stock spring rate is 526lbs. i can get the C6Z front spring for free and its rated at 531lbs. while its only 5 pounds different would you swap it out? i am pulling the engine out this winter to rering it (the awesome 01 problem plus up gradeing the rod bolts) so i will almost be down that far anyways. or would it be better just to wait and replace it with a VBP or Hyperco spring down the road?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:57 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroAJ
on my C5Z the stock spring rate is 526lbs. i can get the C6Z front spring for free and its rated at 531lbs. while its only 5 pounds different would you swap it out?
IMHO it's not worth the trouble. What are you planning to use the car for?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

There is now way that the springs are that exact, we get springs from Vette-Brakes all the time and a 330 rate spring will vary by as much as 10 lbs (high or low) They write the true rate on the box to let you know what it is, so if the differance is 5 lbs it's within the 20lb range. So unless you are going to make a significant change I would say stick with what you have.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:23 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
There is now way that the springs are that exact, we get springs from Vette-Brakes all the time and a 330 rate spring will vary by as much as 10 lbs (high or low) They write the true rate on the box to let you know what it is, so if the differance is 5 lbs it's within the 20lb range. So unless you are going to make a significant change I would say stick with what you have.

Randy
Joel you have a pm
Old 11-24-2008, 11:07 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

The C6Z06 springs FEEL stiffer than the C5Z, in my opinion. I don't trust anybody's leaf spring measurements, but I wouldn't change a spring unless I was changing front and rear.

btw, why change rod bolts??? The 01' has the new GM style already. Not as good a Katech, but good enough to handle the OEM rods........ The early bolts had a lot of side-to-side slop that was corrected by using sleeves in the later bolts.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:39 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i guess i should have said what i do with the car. its my autocross car as well as street driven. i'll just hold off on it untill i can get the aftermarket front and rear springs. thanks guys.

David, it was my understanding the stock rod bolts do not like to live for very long at 7000 RPM and i am wanting to bump that up to 7300-7400RPM with the new cam and heads.

Get notified of new replies

To quick spring question

Quick Reply: quick spring question