Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tires for Nasa TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:50 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default tires for Nasa TT

Just been playing around with the idea of running time trials in the next year or so and just wondering which tire would be a better option. Here are the ones that I was thinking about right now...

Hoosier R6 tw: 40
Kuhmo V710 tw: 40
Toyo R888 tw: 100
Nitto NT-01 tw: 100
BFG R1 tw: 100

I figure this coming year, I am going to try to run a few HPDE's with NASA to work on getting to HPDE level 4 and to get my TT license and maybe the 2010 season, run the time trials schedule. I need all the seat time I can get.

Right now, I can run on my Faulken Azenis RT-615's to get my track experience... but for a first season of time trials, any of you guys got any reccomendations on tires to use? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:33 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Be concerned with the size of the tires too. There are obviously different points assessed based on the size you run. Your "mod" points will help you decide on which tire is right for you so you can run in the class you want.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sperkins
Be concerned with the size of the tires too. There are obviously different points assessed based on the size you run. Your "mod" points will help you decide on which tire is right for you so you can run in the class you want.
Yes, I have check that out too. For TTA, you are allowed to run up to a 295 wide tire without any added points. So basically my choices are 275, 295, or 315's. I have 2 17x10 and 2 17x11 CCW's, so I'm considering selling the 17x11's and picking up 2 more 17x10's and just run 295's all the way around. But, that limits me on the tires that I can use, which are the R6's and the V710's.

So, decisions... decisions
Old 11-21-2008, 01:05 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

What other mods have you done on the car? Or better yet, what's your points damage with just stock tires?
Old 11-21-2008, 03:15 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the R888 in 305 to be a good tire for NASA TTA. Sticky, and not too much bigger than the "stock" size. THink it's +7 points, all up? Since the Z06 starts with +7 already, this matters a lot. You can't run Hoosiers, for example, and have the suspension to support them.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:39 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I run 295 all around on GS wheels (17x11) with stock suspension on my ZO6 with V710s, R6s or A6s. A6 quickest but last the shortest time.

I run a pretty aggressive alignment also. It works for us.

Hope you run with us in NASA-SE.

I will be running soime new RA1s on ZO6 wheels in Dec at RA TT. I bought a package deal and they came with it.

jeff
Old 11-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C5 Z06: 7pts
Intake: 1pt
Bilsteins: 2pts
Hoosiers: 10pts (295/35/17 R6's on your CCW's)

total: 20pts
Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to run to win in NASA TT and anyone shows up on Hoosier A6's, you'd better be showing up on the same tires.......If no one does there are a variety of competitive tires which you intially listed.

A6's will last plenty of time if you are on a true TT agenda.....Run your fastest lap in the first 3-4 laps and get off of the track.....The car will never be any faster than it is right off the get go.

A6's will make motal men look like Superman and the only Kryptonite is some really BIG $$$ radial slicks (which there is no possiblity of running on a C5Z in TTA )

Good Luck, Look forward to meeting you somtime/somewhere next year.

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 11-22-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sperkins
What other mods have you done on the car? Or better yet, what's your points damage with just stock tires?
I'm actually gonna have to de-mod my car to even be legal for TTA Just because you are ASP legal in SCCA doesn't mean you are for TTA Here is what is on the car right now...

Vararam intake
Borla exhaust
custom tune
Bilstein shocks
MGW shifter w/ c6 shift ****
CCW Classics 17x10 fronts, 17x11 rears

So I plan on selling the Stingers for some stock TI exhaust. Reflash the computer back to stock. But I still need to add a race seat, harness bar and harnesses. Those will go in this winter.

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
C5 Z06: 7pts
Intake: 1pt
Bilsteins: 2pts
Hoosiers: 10pts (295/35/17 R6's on your CCW's)

total: 20pts
Eric, I read the rules again and it says "20 or more points you will be bumped up in class." So that looks to me that I won't get to keep the Vararam on there. No biggie, its going back on the stock tune anyways.

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
If you are going to run to win in NASA TT and anyone shows up on Hoosier A6's, you'd better be showing up on the same tires.......If no one does there are a variety of competitive tires which you intially listed.

A6's will last plenty of time if you are on a true TT agenda.....Run your fastest lap in the first 3-4 laps and get off of the track.....The car will never be any faster than it is right off the get go.

A6's will make motal men look like Superman and the only Kryptonite is some really BIG $$$ radial slicks (which there is no posiblity of running on a C5Z in TTA )

Good Luck, Look forward to meeting you somtime/somewhere next year.

Thanks man. I actually won't be at RA this December, but I am gonna try to make at least 2-3 events next year or more... just gotta wait and see how the budget is for me by then.

I would love to run on A6's when I do start TT, but I just don't think I can afford to go through tires like that just yet. I've got a couple of sets I can use maybe when I get a little experience under me. Either way... I'm excited about doing this and look forward to meeting you guys there and learning as much as I can from the pros
Old 11-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya..... I don't know where I got the number 20 from your right 19 is the limit. Sounds like you will have a nice setup. I'm looking forward to seeing you on track
Old 11-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Anyone try the Hankook's? I see they offered contingency money last year and thought I'd give them a try if they do again next year.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:30 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jason
Anyone try the Hankook's? I see they offered contingency money last year and thought I'd give them a try if they do again next year.
I've not seen anyone in the autoX events this year on Hankook's. I wonder how their grip level is compared the Kuhmo's and Hoosier's.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:17 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
I've not seen anyone in the autoX events this year on Hankook's. I wonder how their grip level is compared the Kuhmo's and Hoosier's.
L98Terror ran, and won with them, last year in TTA.

They only go up to 275 size. I do no think they are as fast as A6s...

Danny - we will do our best to win at Rd ATL on those RA1s....
Old 11-23-2008, 12:16 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Let me ask this... I've got 2 sets of Hoosier A6's in my garage. One is a spare set and the other is mounted to my CCW Classics that I've been using to autoX on this year. If I do any autoX this year, I could just use my Faulken's and save those A6's for when I get my license to do TT.

My question is how is the format for Time Trials? How many sessions do you get to run and is it the best time for each session or one time for all sessions that wins?

Also, can you practice on one set of tires (for example Hoosier R6's) and then mount up another set of tires (Hoosier A6's) when you want to set your fastest time? If this is in the rule book for TT, I apologize for not seeing it.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:27 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

You can run a differant set of tires every session if you want in TT, as long as they are DOT-R, if you go to a true slick that will change your points and bunp you out of class. TT is all about the 1 best lap time for the weekend, lowest lap time overall wins, no matter what session of what day. So you want to save your best stuff for the fastest session, which may be Saturday or Sunday depending on weather and track conditions. At nationals we went through 2 sets of brand new A6's, from Wednesday to Saturday, and we got rain all day Friday so we didn't run. Tires are speed in TT, so if you are going to do it at a high level prepare to spend a lot of $$$$ on tires. You can run on used tires but if you want to compete at nationals you should come prepared. You should be o.k. in your region without A6's but not nationals. They are pretty much THE tire to run.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I ran The Hankook C70s 275s/17 squares for the National Championship in TTA, took home the $1000 they paid

Ran Back to Back 1:33s with a bobble so I believe a 1:33.5 is possible on the Kooks.

I believe they are a great tire at this point the fastest tire I've run on.

of course they were the only sticker tire I ever ran on my Z06 in TTA setup (except the C50 which was 1.3 seconds slower) and my race car has other issues so I'm not sure I have a good feel for a Hoosier A yet.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by L98Terror
I ran The Hankook C70s 275s/17 squares for the National Championship in TTA, took home the $1000 they paid
Yeah, that's what I was looking at. And getting the points back. Wife wants headers. Women.

Get notified of new replies

To tires for Nasa TT

Old 11-24-2008, 11:16 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
You can run a differant set of tires every session if you want in TT, as long as they are DOT-R, if you go to a true slick that will change your points and bunp you out of class. TT is all about the 1 best lap time for the weekend, lowest lap time overall wins, no matter what session of what day. So you want to save your best stuff for the fastest session, which may be Saturday or Sunday depending on weather and track conditions. At nationals we went through 2 sets of brand new A6's, from Wednesday to Saturday, and we got rain all day Friday so we didn't run. Tires are speed in TT, so if you are going to do it at a high level prepare to spend a lot of $$$$ on tires. You can run on used tires but if you want to compete at nationals you should come prepared. You should be o.k. in your region without A6's but not nationals. They are pretty much THE tire to run.

Seriously to be fast you need good tires but don't waste money on good tire until you are already fast, if you aren't with in 2 seconds of the leaders than keep running scrubs till you are. Save you money for more track time once you're with in striking distance spend the money and start taking people by surprise.

Last edited by L98Terror; 11-24-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:17 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Yeah, that's what I was looking at. And getting the points back. Wife wants headers. Women.
Keep in mind you can't tune for the headers

You don't need power, lose the weight.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:39 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by L98Terror
I ran The Hankook C70s 275s/17 squares for the National Championship in TTA
Where can you buy these?

Quick Reply: tires for Nasa TT