Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat & Slider Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Seat & Slider Recommendation

I was all set to buy a Corbeau FX1 seat and was even on my way to pick up the sliders, but after talking with some of the guys who have installed this seat, in particular Ray and Matt @ TTP, I learned two things:

1. the sliders keep this particular seat too high off the floor for someone who is 5'7" and above (I am 6') and
2. the wider version of this seat, the FX1, doesn't fit in the C6 seat well.

So, I need to find a new seat for my dual duty C6 Z06. Because I am doing 8-10 events per season plus driving it on the street I really need have the sliders, but am also very wary of the height.

I don't want to spend more than $400 for the seat itself. I think anything I get will need to be side mounted, and I think that side mounted seats can be done with a slider....but I'm not sure.

What seat/slider combos seem to work best in the C6?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-mounting.html
Old 11-21-2008, 07:42 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Why do you need the slider? Is some one else driving your car too?
Old 11-21-2008, 08:36 AM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Why do you need the slider? Is some one else driving your car too?
No but my "driving position" for the track is very different from when i'm on the street and in the track set up i have a hard time getting in and out of the car.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:23 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We'll here are some problems you will face. The stock seat belt mount won't attach to most race seats, especially with the C6Z. If you have 2LZ, your airbags won't be working, which is OK on the track while your in 5 point harness, but not cool on the street when only in the 3 point and you can't wear a 5 point on the street.

I use the sparco sprint and it is an awesome seat...far better than the fiberglass roadster seat I previously used. I honestly would stay away from fiberglass seats as they are light but very flimsly, too much pressure on the top part while getting in and out can easily crack the seat. The sprint is steel tube seat and while lighter than the stock seat (with airbags is heavy) but heavier compared to fiberglass seats, but MUCH stronger and durable (no creaking and cracking while you move around the seat). The good news is that NEW the spring is under $400. You will not find ANYHING new worth buying cheaper than that.

I use the Sparco base and slider and are about 5' 10.5" and my helmet makes it by about 1/4". It is VERY close...I mean, I just made it. My buddy is 6'2" and he couldn't even get in the seat, let alone even consider driving the car.

The more permanent Harbar mounts are probably the only option you have and there is NO slider, but they mount directly to the floor vs the Sparco seat base which raises everything up, including the slider.

Also, I could not mount the stock seat belt to actually work in the car with the Sparco seat, it was just not going to happen.

I think unfortunately, your going to have to swap out the seats every HPDE. That is the best thing I can recommend. Your just going to have to deal with it. Also, you want to be careful driving the car to the event with the race seat as you will have no seat belt and I am pretty sure if you got pulled over, it would be illegal big time.

Sucks doesn't it...my car sat in the garage ALL summer with race pads and the race seat and only came out for HPDE from Apr-Oct. Only about 2 weeks ago did I convert her back to street and it was a real PITA. I just found it too much work to swap out pads and seats every other weekend in between track events, so I just let the car sit in the garage on all those beatufil days...

The biggest PITA is changing the brakes, the seat can be done in 20-30 minutes once you get it down.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 AM
wmk32
Instructor

Pfadt makes a seat mount that comes out pretty quickly so swapping seats is a fairly easy option. I haven't done or tried it, but I believe that you can still use a the 3 point belt with a sparco evo 2 seat. More than $400, but you might be able to find one used in that range.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I went with Fixed Hardbar Rails and the Kirkey Road Race deluxe seat. Yes the combination was way more than $400.00, but the quality is top notch and I think it is one of the safest setups out there. I have plenty of room (I am 6'1) and even raised my seat some. To save some money you can get the road race seats which are not the deluxe model, but you will have to drill your own holes.

Also note - when you remove your stock seat you also lose your ability to move your steering wheel. You will need to set you seat in a position and then connect your stock seat so that you can get the steering wheel in the proper position. This also means you need to turn off easy access or whatever it is called. I was able to hook my drivers seat up outside my car while I sat in the Kirkey seat and made adjustments. Just something to keep in mind.

Too bad the season is over otherwise I would have let you sit in my car. when you get in you know that you are secure.

As mentioned - It is technically illegal on the street to have a race seat and race harnesses in your car because they are not DOT approved, but to date I never had a problem and I pass alot of LEOs. I think if you are being a dick you will get a ticket, but if by chance you get pulled over and you explain why you have the seats in there I would assume you will be ok. Of course anyone can have a bad day.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 11-21-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:39 AM
gintama
Instructor

I like my Sparco Evo 2 for many reasons:
1. They make rails for just about any car (great if you change cars down the road)
2. Very light weight
3. Good reputation
4. They are FAI certified, so no need for a back brace. (My friend uses the Kirkey with a back brace and a full roll bar) Yes, they were less expensive without the brace.
5. Lots of aftermarket support with pads, covers and other accessories

I am 6 foot with a C6. I have the PFADT rails and Sparco sliders on the drivers side, still have about ½ inch to move back and no problems with head room. My fire extinguisher limits travel on the passenger side, so no sliders.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 AM
MazdaRob
Instructor

I can not speak to mounting the FX1's in a Vette, but I can speak for the POS sliders. The Corbeau slider is crap. It is not well built or designed and falls apart easily, especially if you move the seat back and forth (Oh wait, that's what the slider was designed for ) It also puts you higher than you may be able to accommodate. I have to remove the bottom cushion to get my pumpkin below the rollbar.

The seat itself is comfortable for me, but I might do something different with the $400 if I had it to do over.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:53 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by gintama
I like my Sparco Evo 2 for many reasons:

4. They are FAI certified, so no need for a back brace. (My friend uses the Kirkey with a back brace and a full roll bar) Yes, they were less expensive without the brace.
sliders.
Very important guys. Aluminum seats like the kirkey are great if supported properly. But unsupported they will fold up like a pretzel in a crash and you will loose belt retention and get hurt. FIA seats are tested for impacts and integrity to like 20 g's with 75kg in the seat or something like that. Do the research and be safe out there.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat & Slider Recommendation

Quick Reply: Seat & Slider Recommendation