Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealing with the Beast at Roebling

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:29 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dealing with the Beast at Roebling

It seems every track event has a different challenge to face. Sometimes it is getting the car/trailer/tow vehicle ready, sometimes it is the weather, sometimes it is locating enough change to buy gas and sometimes it is having to deal with other cars on track. This last weekend I had to contend with "the Beast". It seems a participant was driving the wheels off his car and showing a bit of skill at the same time. I must admit it was getting a bit tiring to have to explain to the awe struck that "no, I was not driving the black ZO6" since, sometimes, it really is not about me. Not to sound petty but the actual driver has a lower center of gravity and a wider track I might add. No doubt getting recruited into instructor duty and being the preferred "E ticket" ride for participants increased the confidence level on this new found talent. It seems the SeatTime S2000 crowd was particularly inspired by the antics of the driver and his car.

Friday started out hot and wet with a transition to cold and dry by Sunday. Track conditions were pretty good overall - but the Beast did not try to play in the wet. It is good for a driver to recognize their limitations. I ended up towing the Mustang down on Friday and the boys drove the 99 FRC on Sat AM to the track. I need to work on who does what on the home team I believe. Driving through the storm on Thursday night was awe inspiring. But it was worth it to spend time with the new "track god" himself before the event. His all out assault on the local Western Sizzler more then made up for the lousy drive down.

SeatTime had a decent turnout considering the iffy weather and the events at CMP, Road Atlanta, and VIR at the same time pulling in a lot of folks. I had Paul, the guy who talked me out of my 1999 black FRC, as a student. He assured me he was only going to do this "track thing once" before he had the car painted. By noon that assurance was useless as he was looking for more days to run. Hooked another one on the addiction. He had a blast and was able to experience what a Corvette can do when unleased. And, yes, he did ride in the Beast.

Friday evening Hazman and his charming bride tore themselves from the bars in Savannah to check in with Chin. There was a pretty good turnout for Chin also considering the options available to the track faithful. I managed to talk Khoi, Rick and Jayne to accompany to Blufton, SC to look at a "new old stock" Trans Am racecar on Friday evening. I need 700HP in a 2300 pound car pretty badly and my friends did not do near enough to talk me out of it. It is still with the current owner - but maybe one day I can fix that problem. I will say getting in is easier then getting out. But unlike some others I could mention, by name, I did not get stuck in my car door on an open trailer.

My student for Chin was in a very nice 99 FRC setup by Phoenix. Their cages are a work of art I might add. The car was stock with good pads and tires. John was a pretty good driver and was ready for the Blue group by Sunday morning. All he really needs is more seat time to feel the boundaries of the car. He did foolishly decide to ride with me when I went out to see if the Beast was ready to rock. I can say I was very happy with the performance of our 99 FRC with Avon tyres (dry rot cracks are a no cost option). They scream quite well and they seem to drift decently with some age on them. The car would not turn without power oversteer and did not stick well when it was pointed where it should be but was very predictable. I had a blast running with ZO6cool and the Beast - I must admit he drove the car very, very well. John was pretty quiet over in the passenger seat but since I was so busy hollering at the car (everywhere except T8) and sweet talking the car at T8 he probably thought he was in a car with a maniac. Later on Jake and Hazman went out to play with the Beast. I am a lot more comfortable being loose going around T8 now. It is not faster but I have several laps with the car crossed up (under control on the pavement) as we came on the straight. It is amazing what pressure on the steering wheel will do under those conditions - much less movement!

Mark at Chin installed the Hans devices on Jake and Josh's helmets so the safety factor has increased. Josh, wearing his new Hans, only took the Mustang off once in T2 (he was experimenting with reduced braking) in the tradition of Beerkat. The Mustang ran flawlessly all weekend. Jayne did manage to stuff herself quite nicely in the sand at T5. Since I have been known to hit that same spot I wisely kept my mouth shut. It is a shame Rick needs that lesson occasionally.

It was a great weekend with nothing broken, successful testing on the FRC and Mustang, great times with friends and provides the justification to finally toss those darn Avon tyres. We will be at Road Atlanta next month with fresh tires, fresh brakes and great attitudes.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:o
Old 11-19-2008, 05:25 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06cool
:o
No words for us mere mortals?
Old 11-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by varkwso
No words for us mere mortals?
I think you've said enough Mister. Great friends, great track, great fun and being able to bring it home in 1 piece...

I could not have enjoyed myself more....well, maybe without the "possible" 911 call, and maybe without the gout setting in, and then again, maybe without the diareah from track food coming home -- besides that, it was a blast!!
Old 11-19-2008, 05:44 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I think you've said enough Mister. Great friends, great track, great fun and being able to bring it home in 1 piece...

I could not have enjoyed myself more....well, maybe without the "possible" 911 call, ...it was a blast!!
You were one speed dial away from 911 on Saturday night. But not everyone eats 3 day old fried chicken from the back of their tow vehicle...

You had our full attention...especially when you left Hazman and I to clean up the low country boil virtually on our own...
Old 11-19-2008, 05:53 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Great write up once again Jeff. I'm sure I'd actually understand more of it had I been able to make it. Oh well...see you in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by sperkins; 04-05-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

It was a very good weekend, looking forward to Road Atlanta, Weekend after thanksgiving!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:34 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 05C6GAC
It was a very good weekend, looking forward to Road Atlanta, Weekend after thanksgiving!!!

So you still interested in the FRC?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:53 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

So one "not-so-fast" weekend trying to hang with the "beast" and now you're ready to sell? I guess you have to fund that 700HP beast. If that'll help convince the accountant -- lets do it...
Old 11-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

So one "not-so-fast" weekend trying to hang with the "beast" and now you're ready to sell? I guess you have to fund that 700HP beast. If that'll help convince the accountant -- lets do it...
Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I know where the Beast was left hanging - so where is video? Seems it was fast enough when it mattered....

Speed costs money and I have to locate it somehow....
Old 11-21-2008, 08:00 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Let me know what the deal is and we can talk!!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:18 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 05C6GAC
Let me know what the deal is and we can talk!!

One of the conditions is the back end must still be shown to ZO6cool at all events it attends....
Old 11-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

One of the conditions is the back end must still be shown to ZO6cool at all events it attends....
Not a problem. I'm always a "track gentleman" also and let you start out in front... Come on admit it, you were talking in the first person and referring to yourself, right? We know you're the real track god at Roebling and I am always humbled to run with you...

My video is down until I can get another battery charger. You know the one sitting by your trailer as you were packing up and left.....
Old 11-22-2008, 03:27 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Great writeup! My first DE in my Z06 was at Roebling with the PCA and your writeup brings back fond memories of that event.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 11-22-2008, 09:12 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Not a problem. I'm always a "track gentleman" also and let you start out in front... Come on admit it, you were talking in the first person and referring to yourself, right? We know you're the real track god at Roebling and I am always humbled to run with you...

My video is down until I can get another battery charger. You know the one sitting by your trailer as you were packing up and left.....
Yea I feel pretty bad about you leaving your battery charger on a post at Roebliing. Seems to me my stuff left with me...

I am merely your humble servant....

Subdriver - glad it brought back good memories...

Get notified of new replies

To Dealing with the Beast at Roebling

Quick Reply: Dealing with the Beast at Roebling