Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparks flyin...on Brake Bedding

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Sparks flyin...on Brake Bedding

A few weeks ago I was headed down to NJMP for a day with Track Time 4 Cars. I typically drive my Z06 while a good friend takes my "track stuff" in his truck.

A few days before I had put a new set of Hawk HP+ pads on but had not bedded them yet. These were the 3rd set of the season.

There is a 30 mile stretch of highway pretty much in the middle of nowhere that stretches from the NJ Turnpike to the track, and I was travelling close to midnight on a Sunday. No traffic anywhere in sight and I decided within the last few miles of my trek I would bed the brakes, then almost immediately park the car in the hotel parking lot and let them cool overnight.

Three or so stops from 40 to 5mph. Good. Still no traffic anywhere close.

Three stops from 85 to 5 mph. Still good, brakes grabbing nicely. No traffic, still safe.

Now up to 115mph and slam on the brakes. To my surprise, the two front wheels start shooting sparks up and over my hood, like one of those sparking pin wheel toy thingies! Easy enough to see in the pitch black on a semi-deserted highway, but I still couldn't beleive it.

So I tried it again just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

115mph, slam on the brakes....sparks start flying again! Holy S!

Luckily at this point I'm only a mile or so from the hotel so once I get there I take a look and nothing looks out of place or abnormal. The next day I used the brakes quite aggressively on the track and without any issues for numerous sessions. I even drove home the next night without issue.

Has anyone else had the same experience or knows if this is normal?

PS the only other factor is that I applied the anti-squeal lubricant on the back of the pads that was provided by Hawk, very similar to what GM used to fix the normal Z51 squealing.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Slotted and/or drilled rotors?

Now up to 115mph and slam on the brakes.

I don't think I've come across this method of bedding in new pads on any of the ones I've used. I think you overdid it slightly, but probably no harm done except maybe scaring some of the night critters.

Last edited by froggy47; 11-10-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by froggy47
Slotted and/or drilled rotors?

Now up to 115mph and slam on the brakes.

I don't think I've come across this method of bedding in new pads on any of the ones I've used. I think you overdid it slightly, but probably no harm done except maybe scaring some of the night critters.

OEM Cross drilled rotors.

Here is the instruction from Hawk...considering I didn't want to go 140mph on public roads 115mph was the closest I came to "at or near racing speeds".

Q: What is the proper procedure for braking in new brake pads?
A: Brake pad break-in procedure.

After reaching medium speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat four or five times.

At higher speeds engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat five times.

At or near race speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat three times. Allow a few seconds between brake engagements while car is in motion.

Do not hold brake pedal.

Park car for approximately 20 minutes or until brake rotors are completely cool to the touch.

If during the above steps the brake pedal becomes soft or brake fade is noticed, park the car immediately for approximately 20 minutes. Do not hold brake pedal.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me with Hawk Blue's when I bedded them in(as best I could on the street.) I thought I must of F---ed something up on the brake job, but after I took everything apart, it was normal. I took it to Thunderhill a couple of days later and had almost three hours of track time, absolutely no problems and no sparks!
I pulled this off the internet for Hawks FWIW:

Hawk Brake Bedding-in Procedure:
Step 1:Make 6-10 slow-downs from approximately 30-35 mph to 5 mph. applying moderate pressure. Do not come to a complete stop.
Step 2:Make an additional 2 to 3 harder stops from approximately 40-45 mph. to zero.
Step 3O NOT DRAG THE BRAKES! (after stopping - do not leave your foot on the brake pedal)
Step 4:Allow 15 mintutes or more for the brake system to cool down.
Step 5:Your new Hawk pads are ready for use.

Last edited by Sidney004; 11-10-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:02 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe hawk consistently ships the bedding instructions for their blues/blacks with the HP+s. You bed the HP+s like the post above says, the race pads get more aggressive bedding.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:12 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Bedding

New brake pads on old rotors OR Old brake pads on New rotors.

Fresh brake fluid

( some times I put duct tape over the brake duct openings on the nose to get more heart into the rotors )

short drive

5 40 to 5 mph stops, easy to get some heat into the pads and rotors
5 40 to 5 mph stops, HARD, no ***** footed brakeing. GET ON that peddle to activate ABS

5 80 to 5 mph stops, all one right after another also get on this hard

then

3 to 5 100 to 10 mph stops, again hard, all one right after an other

Drive 20 min to cool the brakes, at a stop sign I will get out and take the duct tape off the brake duct holes, drive another 10 15 min and put car back into garage for 24 hours.

Jack car up bleed brakes with fresh brake fluid, put on track wheels load into trailer

Hawk HP+ are good pads but not race pads, not quite made for consistant 80+ Mph stops.
Blues, Blacks DTC-70s and DTC-60s are Hawks race pads made for consistent hard stopping.

I use Wilwood H or PFC-01s

My guess those sparks or what ever were from some road clagg that got stuck in one of the holes in the rotor or some road clagg that was stuck between the brake pad and the rotor. It happens

When the D / S rotors where out get some solid faced rotors. the slots and holes will scrap the brake pad to take any debris or glazing off the brake pad

Last edited by AU N EGL; 11-11-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

sure one of them wasn't mounted backward???????????
Old 11-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I was just talking about the bedding process with someone and this is what he suggested for a race pad:

With a race pad you want to push it until you experience some fade. The best way to accomplish that is to lower the speed so that there is less cooling time between deceleration, and go thru more cycles. Once you have begun to experience fade, you want to drive the car cool at mid range speeds while applying the brakes as little as possible.

any thoughts on this?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:49 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Unfortunately all brake pads don't bed in the same, so what works for pad A may not work as well for pad b.
What you are looking for when bedding is a uniform transfer layer. If you see that there are spots on the rotor that don't look the same as the rest of the rotor then your not finished yet.
I do have a system that I perfer to use which is:
10 light stops from 35 to 20
10 medium stops from 45 to 20
10 to 20 hard as hell stops from 70 to 20
Then drive the car for 10 to 15 minutes to cool
Some pads require more of the hard stops than others, but the only way to know if your done is by "reading" the rotors.
StopTech's website has more info on bedding than anyone that I have seen. So if you are really interested here is the link.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml

But to answer the original posters question, yes I have had that happen before, it's nothing to worry about as long as the sparks are from dicarded pad material, obviously you want to be sure your not burning brake fluid due to a leak of some kind etc. But that is just another reason to look over the brake system after bedding in.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:47 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

The first time I bedded Hawk HT-10s at night I had sparks. Like others have said, they worked perfectly after that. I guess its somewhat normal.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

It really must have been an interesting sight if anyone was around.

Next season when I re-bed I'll try to get it on video.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen this several times. It's really fun to get some one in the car that has not seen it before and tell them to keep an eye on the fender.

Is usually the reaction I get
Old 11-12-2008, 07:44 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

With a race pad you want to push it until you experience some fade.

I'll take exception to that statement and say this is totally not necessary for most race pads. In fact such immediate heat shock to the rotors could prove damaging. Some pad won't "fade" until upwards of 1500f or more. There is no reason for this to be used to bed pads- race or otherwise. I've install new pads at the track from the start of the weekend to mid day to the warm up laps before the green. It's not that difficult or time consuming.

I'll agree with much of the more common sense approaches outlined above with one note; it's often stated "let the brakes cool" and to many that means parking the car without holding the brake on. Bad idea. Let them cool is better described as continue driving the car with little or no brake application for about 10min to allow the pads and rotor to cool down before parking the car. Parking (without foot) post 20min of hard on/off use is a recipe for hot spots.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen spark geysers before during bedding. Not a big deal.

btw, were you doing this with your lights off?!?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoon

btw, were you doing this with your lights off?!?
No, why?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Pretty common with DTC-70 pads on stock rotors.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:15 AM
turbo50mike
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are some Hawk Blue's sparking at night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHq8fasQSSQ

Get notified of new replies

To Sparks flyin...on Brake Bedding

Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 AM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Better make sure there is no gas residue on the side of your car when bedding.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:43 AM
turbo50mike
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RUN4CVR
Better make sure there is no gas residue on the side of your car when bedding.
Yeah...And make sure you didn't have French Onion soup and meatloaf for lunch.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:45 PM
anotherone
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo50mike
Yeah...And make sure you didn't have French Onion soup and meatloaf for lunch.
I wish I couldnt relate to this!:o

Quick Reply: Sparks flyin...on Brake Bedding