Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotating OEM tires right to left - Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:50 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Rotating OEM tires right to left - Is it possible?

I've done a search, with limited results.

As a newbie to the HPDE scene, I am realizing how hard track days are on the tires and brakes.

My question: Since the tires wear unevenly on the outside edges, and specifically more so on the left tires, is it feasible to switch the left and right tires in order to get more tire life?

If so, can it be done by just switching tires and wheels from side to side? In other words, are the OEM GY runflats "directional" tires? If so, does it really matter if they are directional when used on a dry track?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:13 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Directional tread pattern, yes. Directional internal construction, no. I've run Toyo RA-1, Kumho V700s and Ecstas forward and backwards.

There's actually 2 kinds of wear you need to take care of. The first is to balance wear left to right due to running on a clockwise or counterclockwise course. The outside tires will wear more than the insides.

Then you have to actually flip the tires on the wheels to even the wear across the surface from inner to outer. I usually do this once during the life of the tire.

So, for dry conditions it makes no difference. For wet, you need to run them in the correct directions.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

While I'm no expert on tire contstruction, I've ALWAYS rotated tires AS NEEDED to maximize life and minimize wear. With a proper alignment for your tires and driving level, along with rotation as needed, you can get a lot of life out of most tires.

***oh just reread VetteDrmr's post, I agree you have to be carefull in the rain if you run tires backward. Considering most peoples aversion to rain however, I don't think this will bite too many people***
Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Directional tread pattern, yes. Directional internal construction, no. I've run Toyo RA-1, Kumho V700s and Ecstas forward and backwards.

There's actually 2 kinds of wear you need to take care of. The first is to balance wear left to right due to running on a clockwise or counterclockwise course. The outside tires will wear more than the insides.

Then you have to actually flip the tires on the wheels to even the wear across the surface from inner to outer. I usually do this once during the life of the tire.

So, for dry conditions it makes no difference. For wet, you need to run them in the correct directions.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

good advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Rotating OEM tires right to left - Is it possible?

Quick Reply: Rotating OEM tires right to left - Is it possible?