Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing or Tie Rod??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Default Wheel Bearing or Tie Rod??

Was checking rear suspension the other day and found that when I grab the wheels at the 3 and 9 positions and pull them back and forth they move about an 1/8 of an inch and I can hear a clunking sound. If I grab the wheels at the 12 and 6 positions and pull them back and forth there is no movement. I believe this must be because of loose tie rods Vs loose wheel bearings. All 4 tie rods were replaced last year and the left rear wheel bearing was replaced at the same time.

Bill
Old 11-09-2008, 02:56 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same deal with my rear tie rods. Replaced them and the suspension is tight now.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wheel bearing from movement you describe. What did you put in there OEM or VBP? OEM can go bad in two days VBP last me long time.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:55 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

tie rod
Old 11-09-2008, 06:19 PM
coffey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this with the car off the ground, no weight on the wheel? If so then it is most likely the tie rod. You would get movement all over the place with a wheel bearing. Plus if it was a bad bearing and it moved as much as you describe, it would probably be making lots of noise. If you can. have a friend shake the wheel for you while you crawl under there and look for the movement.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:17 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by coffey
Is this with the car off the ground, no weight on the wheel? If so then it is most likely the tie rod. You would get movement all over the place with a wheel bearing. Plus if it was a bad bearing and it moved as much as you describe, it would probably be making lots of noise. If you can. have a friend shake the wheel for you while you crawl under there and look for the movement.
Yes, car is in the air and both rear wheels move about the same amount. It is a little hard to believe the tie rods went so fast. The originals lasted 5 seasons and the replacements only lasted one. I still have GMPP for another year so I guess I will run the car into the shop and see what they replace.

Bill
Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

side to side = tie rods.
wheel bearings are top-bottom movement.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Tie rods would explain the weird cornering I have been getting lately. As I go into a turn the back end feels like it is going to swing wide and pass the front. Sort of makes on and off ramps interesting.

Bill
Old 11-12-2008, 05:43 PM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Bill, It's tie rods if loose @ 3&9. Bearings will be loose @ 6&12. Paul
Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same issue with my ASP vette last week.

Car was in the air when I tightened down the lugs a bit (e-brake on).

My buddy, that races with me, and is a chevy Service Manager at a Chevy dealer thought it didn't look right.

-------------

A couple of days later---I had another friend, that used to be a auto mechanic, and is also my frequent co-driver, and friend-----look at it with me----

When we jacked up the rear, and moved the wheel 3 and 9-----the tie rod didn't move.......it was the upper rear control arm that moved slightly---as the bushings, while even on booth sides---had been deformed a bit-----this didn't happen overnight, and was even on both the right and left rear of the car----

I don't think it's a big deal----as I got top PAX and FTD the last couple of local events before----my "Problem" came up----

Didn't place nearly as high---when I noticed "problem"---but chalking it up to poor driving and not a course either I or the car was happy about---

Maybe this might help you.

David
Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I would look at tie rod ends as well as control arm bushings. Both can cause movement.

A wheel bearing would not be out of the question, but you should see movement both side to side and up and down.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
I would look at tie rod ends as well as control arm bushings. Both can cause movement.

A wheel bearing would not be out of the question, but you should see movement both side to side and up and down.
Good tip. Hadn't considered the bushings as the they looked good.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Bearing or Tie Rod??

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing or Tie Rod??