Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions on pfadt SS swaybar and sport shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:14 AM
poser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default questions on pfadt SS swaybar and sport shocks

i guys...i autocross my C6 Z06 in SS, and would like that little extra edge over the competition...car is stock, with the exception of hoosier A6s...

i was debating whether or not to get the pfadt SS swaybar...any reviews on it??? is it really worth it for autocross- by that i mean is it worth the price???

also- any reviews on the sport shocks also???

does anyone here have a set of either lying around they would like to sell???

if not- any online vendors running specials on these items???

any help greatly appreciated...thank you...
Old 11-09-2008, 11:16 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

my opinion of the Sport Shocks can be found here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...rt-shocks.html
Old 11-09-2008, 11:36 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

A couple of my Pfadt praising posts:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...g-one-mam.html

Link 2
Old 11-10-2008, 12:59 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by poser
i guys...i autocross my C6 Z06 in SS, and would like that little extra edge over the competition...car is stock, with the exception of hoosier A6s...
Will they push your car into a different class?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:53 AM
poser
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
Will they push your car into a different class?
no...should still remain in SS...
Old 11-10-2008, 07:53 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

I have exactly this set up, the front SS bar and the adjustable inverted shocks. I set the front bar at its softest setting, which is still 30 percent stiffer than the OEM bar. I've been setting the front shocks at 7-8 and the rears at 9-10. (I also slightly raised the car part way back to its OEM ride height using the stock bolts.) Still experimenting. I may try the bar at the middle setting next spring.

The car is way more planted. First time out autocrossing, I got understeer until the tires warmed up, and then the car felt great. It's a bit more "tossable", and the rear end is much less inclined to just break loose; when it does break, it comes back under control with very slight throttle modulation.

I've got to do more events to get a full read out, but right now I think the Pfadt bar and shocks set up is definitely worth the investment.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 AM
waktasz
Pro

Get the Konis.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 AM
poser
Instructor

Originally Posted by waktasz
Get the Konis.
what makes you choose konis over the pfadt???

oh- i like your avatar...i actually put a similar plate on my car

Old 11-11-2008, 07:54 AM
waktasz
Pro

In talking to many different past national champs none of them have mentioned the Pfadts. Sure there is better stuff than Koni, but at this price point that's what I'd go with. I even know a past multi-champion that says he has tried all kinds of different shocks, and always goes back to his Koni singles and that's what he's won his titles with.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 PM
autoxer6
Racer

In talking to many different past national champs none of them have mentioned the Pfadts. Sure there is better stuff than Koni, but at this price point that's what I'd go with. I even know a past multi-champion that says he has tried all kinds of different shocks, and always goes back to his Koni singles and that's what he's won his titles with.
I think 90% of autoxer's would be fastest on single adjustable koni's. More expensive shocks just get more ***** to adjust. That usually means more ways to screw up your car.

(of course there are those that benefit from Ohlins, Penskes, etc)

Chris Shay
Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Originally Posted by poser

i was debating whether or not to get the pfadt SS swaybar...any reviews on it??? is it really worth it for autocross- by that i mean is it worth the price???
I have been curious about the pfadt SS bar myself. According to pfadt, the 3 settings are 1. softer than stock 2. Stock (C5Z) 3. about 20% stiffer.

I'm not sure why someone would want the front bar softer. I was told that some autoxers in CA preferred it. I dont understand that. The bar certainly looks cool!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:57 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Originally Posted by autoxer6
I have been curious about the pfadt SS bar myself. According to pfadt, the 3 settings are 1. softer than stock 2. Stock (C5Z) 3. about 20% stiffer.

I'm not sure why someone would want the front bar softer. I was told that some autoxers in CA preferred it. I dont understand that. The bar certainly looks cool!
For the C6Z the SS front bar is stiffer than OEM even on the softest setting:

http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/da...ph_with_SS.jpg

For the C5Z, it's as you said. I can see why some might be tempted to try a softer front bar, since you can't add a stiffer rear bar and stay in SS. When I autoxed my old C5Z, though, I thought it did great with the OEM front bar, very neutral, nice rotation. I guess YMMV.

For the C6Z, the front bar only makes sense if it's stiffer, because the rear bar is too stiff to start with.

As for shocks, Koni single adjustables are great, and I have them on my Mustang. But I can adjust the rears by just crawling into the trunk and turning the **** on the top of the shocks. On the C6Z, it looks like I'd have to cut a hole to get at the rears. So I like the fact that the adjustment on the Pfadt's are on the bottom, where the ***** are very accessible.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:08 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can soften the front bar to get the car to rotate more on tight stuff where grip isn't a problem...Maybe a tight course on concrete with no rake in the car? Californian's do things differently but every car needs to be set up to the driver and their style of driving. To each their own....

There are shock experts that believe you just set rebound to 65% critical damping and never touch it again. Single adjustables are generally rebound adjustable. Once they're set to the car some believe they never need to be adjusted again. Rebound controls unsprung weight and that weight doesn't change once the car is set up. But, have ****...will play with!!

Changing surfaces usually require changes in bump. With single adustables you can get some effect with shock pressure but I believe this just messes up the rebound. If you really want to adjust your shocks to the different surfaces you may compete on, then DAs would be a good choice. FWIW.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by autoxer6

That is a good question. The key to sway bar tuning is to have the front and rear roll stiffness in a balance. Going significantly stiffer on the front bar without changing the rear bar can reduce weight transfer to the front on corner entry and cause corner entry push.

We designed our C5Z SS bar to work with the C5Z factory rear bar. It gives you rates that surround the factory front bar for maximum tuning capability. It is reasonable to want more roll stiffness in the car, but to achieve that without losing the balance, you need to raise the stiffness on both ends.

With our SS bar you actually get 5 possible settings with the 3 holes on each side (the links do not have to be symmetrical). It allows for a lot of fine tuning.

You'll notice with our C6Z SS bar that it is stiffer than the factory C6Z bar by quite a large margin. It was designed like that to balance out the relatively high rear roll stiffness that the C6Z comes from the factory with.

Our Pfadt shocks are also a great package for SS (and also for regular old street driving). With our shocks you get both compression and rebound adjustment with the single ****. That is valuable for not only tuning handling, but also ride quality. They are an inverted design for lowering unsprung mass and that has the additional advantage of putting the adjustment on the bottom for easy access. There are many people competing at a national level with the Pfadt Sport shocks, just check this forum for more feedback. It always means more coming from another user than from me.

Feel free to call Pfadt for more details or information.

-Aaron
Old 11-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by Aaron Pfadt
That is a good question. The key to sway bar tuning is to have the front and rear roll stiffness in a balance. Going significantly stiffer on the front bar without changing the rear bar can reduce weight transfer to the front on corner entry and cause corner entry push.

We designed our C5Z SS bar to work with the C5Z factory rear bar. It gives you rates that surround the factory front bar for maximum tuning capability. It is reasonable to want more roll stiffness in the car, but to achieve that without losing the balance, you need to raise the stiffness on both ends.

With our SS bar you actually get 5 possible settings with the 3 holes on each side (the links do not have to be symmetrical). It allows for a lot of fine tuning.

You'll notice with our C6Z SS bar that it is stiffer than the factory C6Z bar by quite a large margin. It was designed like that to balance out the relatively high rear roll stiffness that the C6Z comes from the factory with.

Our Pfadt shocks are also a great package for SS (and also for regular old street driving). With our shocks you get both compression and rebound adjustment with the single ****. That is valuable for not only tuning handling, but also ride quality. They are an inverted design for lowering unsprung mass and that has the additional advantage of putting the adjustment on the bottom for easy access. There are many people competing at a national level with the Pfadt Sport shocks, just check this forum for more feedback. It always means more coming from another user than from me.

Feel free to call Pfadt for more details or information.

-Aaron
I like to do one change at a time. I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering the C6Z sport shocks this week, and the sway bar a month or two after that. Do you agree with the shocks first, sway bar 2nd?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:40 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Datawiz
I like to do one change at a time. I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering the C6Z sport shocks this week, and the sway bar a month or two after that. Do you agree with the shocks first, sway bar 2nd?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

The Pfadt sport shocks were not available until mid year this year. So it would be hard for PAST champions to mention.

However there are national level drivers who made the switch from Konis this year to the Pfadts and so far the noise from their mouths to my ear seems to sound like they are happier with the Pfadts.

That is what influenced my decision to buy them, and so far i am extremely pleased.

Get notified of new replies

To questions on pfadt SS swaybar and sport shocks

Quick Reply: questions on pfadt SS swaybar and sport shocks