Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about HPDE, harnesses, Hardbar for C6

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:43 AM
upperdeck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about HPDE, harnesses, Hardbar for C6

I'm pretty new to the whole autocross road racing thing and have a few questions... I read the sticky thread and it had a lot of good info, but didn't see any answers to a few more questions.

For an HDPE, are harnesses required or are the stock seatbelts ok to use?

I'd like to get a harness system eventually and I'm considering the hardbar. Is it removable once installed? This is my daily driver so it would be nice to be able to remove it.

Do harnesses have an "expiration date?" I've seen a few references to manufacture dates.

When the HDPE requires identical harnesses for passengers, can the style be the same but the make and/or model vary from one to the other? Or must they be absolutley identical harnesses?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Welcome to your new obsession!

Each club that host an event likely has its own set of rules, but in general...

Harnesses are not required for HPDE. Some clubs do not like you having them unless you have roll over protection installed. Harnesses help keep your butt in the seat, but don't allow you to submarine like a normal seat belt. That being said I can't stand driving without a harness...

All the harness bars I have seen are bolt on so you could remove it. Most are such a clean install and have no issues with functionality that I would not see a reason to remove it.

Harnesses do have tags on them about date of manufacture. Some organizations don't want them to be too old.

A harness would not likely have to be the same brand, but if you have a 5-point harness many like the passesnger to have the same thing.

HERE is a good preparation guide I have used for many newcomers over the years... Enjoy!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:02 PM
jkittleson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think as long as you have similar restraints on both sides you would be okay. Some people use a little cheaper model for the passenger.

The club I run with requires the belts to be less than 5 years old and in good shape.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by upperdeck
I'm pretty new to the whole autocross road racing thing and have a few questions... I read the sticky thread and it had a lot of good info, but didn't see any answers to a few more questions.

For an HDPE, are harnesses required or are the stock seatbelts ok to use?

I'd like to get a harness system eventually and I'm considering the hardbar. Is it removable once installed? This is my daily driver so it would be nice to be able to remove it.

Do harnesses have an "expiration date?" I've seen a few references to manufacture dates.

When the HDPE requires identical harnesses for passengers, can the style be the same but the make and/or model vary from one to the other? Or must they be absolutley identical harnesses?

Thanks in advance!
(1) HPDE and Autocross only require a factory seat belt.

(2) I have a shark bar IIRC it's pretty much the same as a hard bar.
They are not easily removable you would not really notice the shark bar once installed.

(3) IIRC they have an expiration date but the date doesn't matter in a HPDE or autocross event.

(4) Harnesses don't have to be identical in HPDE or autocross in fact you don't need anything other than a factory seat belt for the passenger.

Good luck
Old 11-08-2008, 11:01 PM
upperdeck
Instructor

Default thanks

Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-09-2008, 01:57 AM
cebars
Pro

Have harness but PCA won't allow me to use them with stock seats. Trying to find a FIA approved race/street seat as I do not want to swap seats for racing seats for each event. So I will just use stock seats and stock lap belt which PCA will accept. I think there are some SCCA rules about the angle at which the belt must pass over the shoulder and going around/over the stock seat doesn't cut it.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

In most cases clubs follow the PCA rules.

in general Harness should be routed though holes in seats, not wrapped around the seat back.

Harness should be mounted according to the harness manufactures mounting instructions on race seats. Not stock seats.

Shoulder harness should be mounted to a cross bar with in +/- 5* of your shoulder level.

So for PCA events, the stock seats and stock DOT 3 point harness is best.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:58 AM
gintama
Instructor

I agree with everything said previously. Additional suggestions:

1. In general, PCA runs very organized and safe events. For the lower run groups (new people) stock 3 points are fine, unless you have a modified, racing car. Check first with the PCA club you are interested in, since some will only allow Porsches.

2. If you do buy a seat, note that nonFIA seats will be less expensive in general, but some organizations may require a back brace. It might be hard to install without a full or partial roll cage. The FIA seats cost more for a reason. I think they are worth the difference in the long term.

3. Some organizations require new harness webbing every few years. If your intent is to run those events, save the long term expense, and buy from companies that will reweb. It will be more cost effective in the long run.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about HPDE, harnesses, Hardbar for C6

Quick Reply: Question about HPDE, harnesses, Hardbar for C6