Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything I need to know about the "new" Lime Rock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Default Anything I need to know about the "new" Lime Rock?

Just signed up for HPDE for Tuesday. Is the track any different since the re-paving as far as layout/trouble spots? I heard that the area after the uphill is a little wider on the LH side now. Any other changes?
Old 11-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Jaffster
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its debatable, but some people feel some of the turns "feel" different.

Coming out of big bend I felt the track comes in slightly compared to before. Approaching the uphill, the angle feels slightly different, although I don't think it is.

In general, its not changed, it just feels different due to the new line that should be taken from the additional traction. It flows nicely, and its definitely nice going down pitline without worrying about bottoming out on that huge bump. The front straight is pretty nice now too, braking zone is easier...go hard across down to the inside, late brake, late apex, then cut in. On the left hander stay out far as long as you can, turn in late and then its a quick left/right transition, feels really nice...you can really hit that right hander hard onto noname.

You should go into the store there too, Driving Impressions, lots of sales going on right now.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:39 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The biggest difference is that all those NASCAR concrete patches are gone, and the front straight is nice and smooth, not washboard, like it used to be. Potentially, the uphill could be very different, if they use the chicane, and the same for West Bend. If you are driving the old course, you won't feel a whole lot of difference, other than the track surface is better.

I found that the uphill in the old configuation is less jarring at the top. If you are running that configuration, try to stay more to the middle, and hit the lip straight on, not at an angle. As for the downhill, it felt to me like the "dip" at the bottom before turn-in is gone, so it's a smoother transition. Also, there is a lot more runout room onto the front straight, so you can carry more speed through the corner and track out better. Big Bend and the Esses are so much better without the concrete and surface transitions.

Enjoy! BTW, who are you running with?

Steve
Old 11-06-2008, 06:11 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm going to try an make this one.

I've got the seals for my engine, all of $40.

I was going to go ahead and put the blower and heads on, but I really need to redo the shortblock for it.

I going to see if I can get the seals done, if the weather cooperates.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Fastguy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Enjoy! BTW, who are you running with?

Steve
SCDA, 36 car maximum, 12-4:30. Should be fun.
http://www.scda1.com/blogs/bd/2008/1...Drivers-Only./
Old 11-07-2008, 01:42 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

It's a tricky time of year up there.
can be real cold, with little traction.
if the sun it out, it's nice.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Fastguy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Originally Posted by the blur
It's a tricky time of year up there.
can be real cold, with little traction.
if the sun it out, it's nice.
I have done about six days down there but oddly enough, always the second week of Novemeber. I would like to head down in warm weather someday.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new track is excellent! I wish I could make Tuesday. The uphill does feel like it is pushed out a little. Here is a clip from last week. I was trying to get a few pointers. SCDA is a great group to run with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNXDI7kCzN8
Old 11-07-2008, 04:12 PM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The transition at the bottom of the the downhill onto the front straight is much smoother so you can carry a lot more speed down it. I picked up about 5 mph a few weeks ago when I was there.

Big Bend has a ton more grip with the new surface and it's very nice.

The "classic" configuration didn't seem that much different, just much smoother. I would have liked to run the new uphill but the new West Bend didn't look like much fun.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:17 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

The good news is that I'm going to be in CT that week on a new contract.

The bad news is that I won't be able to make the event.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:00 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The only other thing I'd note is that going in to west bend can be decieving when running the std config as SCDA does (and I prefer), the alternate west bend keeps going past so you think you have more room than you do-- it's easy to miss the braking zone and turn in point or go too deep the first time out on the new pavement. Otherwise it is nice, smooth.. the hole going in to the down hill corner is gone. Not having the concrete in big bend and the esses takes some getting use to. The reference marks of the old groove made it easier on the double apex, but after a bit it's no biggie. Have fun!
Old 11-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Originally Posted by Lan.Jet
The new track is excellent! I wish I could make Tuesday. The uphill does feel like it is pushed out a little. Here is a clip from last week. I was trying to get a few pointers. SCDA is a great group to run with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNXDI7kCzN8
wow, a lot smoother. I played that side by side with my last trip there and my car looks like its rolling on square tires.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Fastguy
Just signed up for HPDE for Tuesday. Is the track any different since the re-paving as far as layout/trouble spots? I heard that the area after the uphill is a little wider on the LH side now. Any other changes?
You have a PM and Email.

John
Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Originally Posted by MA ZO6
You have a PM and Email.

John
I'll see you guys in the AM. I'll be driving a silver F-250 towing a silver C5. I'll keep an eye out for something bright yellow.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Well, that was pretty cool. First run group was an hour followed by three 1/2 hour sessions and a 1/2 hour open track. Ran through a tank and a half of gas. I skipped out on open track and just got back. The new pavement is awesome, very smooth. Once I saw how west bend was layed out on the warm up lap I was fine but at first it threw me a little.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastguy
Well, that was pretty cool. First run group was an hour followed by three 1/2 hour sessions and a 1/2 hour open track. Ran through a tank and a half of gas. I skipped out on open track and just got back. The new pavement is awesome, very smooth. Once I saw how west bend was layed out on the warm up lap I was fine but at first it threw me a little.

Were you able to drop your lap time? I think the new pavement was worth at least 2 seconds. I know what you mean about the fuel I use more at Lime rock than any other track.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:21 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Lan.Jet
Were you able to drop your lap time? I think the new pavement was worth at least 2 seconds. I know what you mean about the fuel I use more at Lime rock than any other track.
That's how I knew I was doing better my last time out in October, I got more laps in and part way in to the 4th 20min session the car cut-out on the up hill and down hill corners... out of fuel! Suprising as I had 1/4 tank when I went out.

Glad to hear you had a good time today, I was thinking of it as it was a bit cold, but not too bad for November.

Get notified of new replies

To Anything I need to know about the "new" Lime Rock?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'05

No lap timer, but it felt faster as my speeds in and out of every section were faster.
Here are a few pics from the paddock.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:02 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

36 car max, but it looks like fewer and basically deserted. I skipped this year as the 1/2 day stuff is too unappealing. Guess Ill try it next year. Thanks for the pics and feedback.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'05

For me it worked out very well because I didn't have to get up at a crazy hour, or stay over and get a hotel, pay for dinner etc. I was able to leave my house at 7 AM, get 2.5 hours of track time, and then be in my driveway at 7 PM. There were only two run groups so each group was sparse.

Quick Reply: Anything I need to know about the "new" Lime Rock?