Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Store Kuhmo v710's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:06 PM
rickkym
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Store Kuhmo v710's?

So I've got a set of 710 autocross tires that are just scrubbed to the wear bars and seem really fast. I'm in WA state and they'll be spending the next 3+ months in my garage. Is there a 'proper' way to store them? I already knocked them down to 5lbs.

A guy told me to spray 'auga-net' hairspray on them to seal the pores and prevent oxidation. Another guy told me to leave them alone and just rub them down with <<I forget what>> to make them sticky again next year.

What about just getting free tire bags from tire rack and storing them that way with as little air as possible?

Or am I terribly **** and it doesn't matter at all?

Thank you for your thoughts!!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

I'm intertesting in hearing everyones responces. I planned on letting all the air out of mine and double bagging them in black trash bags.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So long as it is out of direct sunlight, that is the best you can do; but I do recommend treating the tires prior to use. I use Formula V:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=3340

Last edited by Sidney004; 11-06-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:51 PM
cire96
Burning Brakes

There are several things you can do to lessen the hardening of stored tires.

First, completely deflate them in order to lessen the tendency of the volatile components in the compound from being assisted in the evaporative process due to the difference between internal and external pressures. These compounds are there to keep the rubber soft and grippy.

Second, liberally coat them with some sort of "armoral" tire treatment to seal up the surface (for the same reason as deflating them).

Third, either store them in a dark location, or bag them in black garbage bags to block out UV light since that light wavelength will lead to hardening.

Fourth, store them in as temperate location as possibe - one that's as close to 50F as posible. Hotter temps tend to accelerate the evaporation of the volatives and very cold temps tend to be associated with low humidity (which again leads to more evaporation of those volative components.
Cire
Old 11-06-2008, 03:10 PM
rickkym
Instructor

Right on, thanks man!

Should I take the valve stem cores out? I'm thinking no to lessen the amount of air/oxidation but then if I did take them out the moisture in the tires would surely evaporate after a month or two.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:38 PM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rickkym
Right on, thanks man!

Should I take the valve stem cores out? I'm thinking no to lessen the amount of air/oxidation but then if I did take them out the moisture in the tires would surely evaporate after a month or two.
I wouldn't. I'd just put them back in after all the air's excaped. Anyway, you'll never find them again in the spring if you're like most of us!
Cire

Get notified of new replies

To Store Kuhmo v710's?

Quick Reply: Store Kuhmo v710's?