Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the C6 Z have a cinch feature for the seat belts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:00 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Does the C6 Z have a cinch feature for the seat belts?

I couldn't find it through trial and error.

TIA,
Old 11-05-2008, 06:29 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by VettesRule

TIA,
By trial and error I assume you mean that you tried crashing your car to activate the airbag/restraint system - is that right!?!?

I guess what you mean by a "cinch feature" is what is called the seat belt "pre-tensioner", which is part of the SRS (Supplemental Restraint System).

Yes, the C6 has a seat belt pre-tensioner, but you're not going to activate it unless you crash. It tightens the seat belt down about 1-1/2 to 2 inches. Here is a picture of 2 seat belt receptacles (one good one, and one that has fired) - the one on the right with the squished down corrugated plastic around the cable is the one that has been activated in a crash:

That tube you see is where the charge is located that fires and pulls down the seat belt receptacle to tighten up the seat belt in an impact situation.

If that's not what you're talking about, there's one other feature that is perhaps what you mean - if you pull the seat belt all the way out to its max extent, when you release it there will be a ratchet action that will "cinch" the seat belt tight. That's one of the items on my checklist before heading out for a track session - I pull the seat belt out to get it to ratchet tight. Some drivers will move the seat back, ratchet the seat belt tight, then move the seat forward a little to make it even tighter.

Is one of those features what you're talking about???

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 11-05-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:47 PM
autoxn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VettesRule

TIA,

If I'm not mistaken, (I have a C5) you can grab the upper belt and pull it completely out, and then let go. As the belt is retracting you will hear it start to click. Once it's tight against you, try to feed it in more. This will be as tight as you can get it.

Hope this helps,
Mike "Junor" Johnson
Evolution Performance Driving School
Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

Junior,

I enjoyed the cinch feature on both my C4 and C5 (different activating strategies) but I either the c6 doesn't have it or I haven't found it yet.

Thanks,

Danny
Old 11-05-2008, 07:05 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

Bob,

The ratcheting action is what I am talking about. I have to try that next time.

Thanks,

Danny
Old 11-05-2008, 08:51 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

yeah my friend showed me in his c5 i am pretty sure my 06 z does also
Old 11-05-2008, 09:41 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

As Jr. describes, my C6 does indeed lock the belt if you extend the belt ALL the way out. You know you got it right when it clicks during retraction back from full extension.

I use this feature every time for auto-x and HPDE. I even use the memory seat function to make it tighter - get the belt tight manually while the seat is all the way back (in 'Exit' position), then press the '1' button for Tighter or '2' for I CAN'T FREAKIN' BREATH TIGHT
Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 PM
rickkym
Instructor

I thought the C6 had only one belt where the C5 has two that each connect to the metal 'tounge'.

That all said I bought a harness bar for my C5 (real cheap off this forum) and it KILLS on the course. I don't have to spread my knees to wedge myself in and now *really* understand how bad I was at autocrossing.

I would strongly suggest a harness and harness bar will help the 'nut' behind the wheel way more than race tires or really spanky shocks and sway bars.

my .02
Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rickkym
I thought the C6 had only one belt
True - it's one long belt that slips freely through the buckle. But you can still get it pretty darn tight (for a 3-point belt, anyway).
Old 11-06-2008, 02:28 PM
rickkym
Instructor

I really don't think the C6 latches/ratchets like the C5. There is a metal clip you can buy that prevents the seatbelt tongue from sliding along the belt. I've also seen several guys with similar belt systems do this:

1) clip the belt and snug up on the shoulder belt
2) unclip the belt while you pinch the seatbelt together
3) twist it two or three times
4) clip the belt back together
Old 11-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

This year I rode in a C6 Z as an instructor and was able to cinch the passenger seat belt. Same method as the C5; pull all the way out and let it retract until tight then suck it up a little and shove any additional slack into the take up reel. If it had a power seat I could have gotten the belt very tight. I much preferred that setup to the race harness that went around the seat back and would have fallen off my shoulders in an incident. Basically this cinch feature is the same thing that most other cars use in all positions but the drivers position to fasten a child car seat.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Does the C6 Z have a cinch feature for the seat belts?

Quick Reply: Does the C6 Z have a cinch feature for the seat belts?