Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator vs Vararam for Autocross

Old 11-04-2008, 07:28 AM
aggie88
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Predator vs Vararam for Autocross

See thread - thanks!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1567720962
Old 11-04-2008, 07:41 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Predator-----that's one tough cookie, but I think I would have to go with the Alien, due to the acid in their blood.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:52 AM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

For autocross I don't think either is going to make much difference.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

What class are you running. If stock, the veraram will move you to a higher class. The predator will help some, probably 0.05 sec. Instead get a professional scan/tune for autocrossing. Same class but max results.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:30 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Unless you're spinning the tires everywhere but going straight, neither will make a significant difference.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

spend your money on better shocks
Old 11-05-2008, 03:48 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
What class are you running. If stock, the veraram will move you to a higher class. The predator will help some, probably 0.05 sec. Instead get a professional scan/tune for autocrossing. Same class but max results.
In SCCA SS class neither the intake nor the tune is legal. And neither is needed. Save the money and take an Evolution Driving School class in the spring...IMHO.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 PM
rickkym
Instructor

I was wondering about this. The SCCA rules for stock classes say you can't change the computer (I forget the actual verbage) but I read it to imply you can't change the software settings in the computer either. As an owner of a 1997 corvette the many service operations performed at the stealership have changed ***craploads*** of settings like the cool safety feature if my cloum lock acts up at all my car shuts down at 2 miles per hour.

So how can this 'rule' be enforced?? What if the dealer decides to change my timing curve for whatever reason due to a service that was performed? And how can you regulate what changes are acceptable?

It's really just he honor system, right? <<not that my timing curve was ever modified by a friend with HPTuners... that would be just wrong >>

Thanks!!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rickkym
I was wondering about this. The SCCA rules for stock classes say you can't change the computer (I forget the actual verbage) but I read it to imply you can't change the software settings in the computer either. As an owner of a 1997 corvette the many service operations performed at the stealership have changed ***craploads*** of settings like the cool safety feature if my cloum lock acts up at all my car shuts down at 2 miles per hour.

So how can this 'rule' be enforced?? What if the dealer decides to change my timing curve for whatever reason due to a service that was performed? And how can you regulate what changes are acceptable?

It's really just he honor system, right? <<not that my timing curve was ever modified by a friend with HPTuners... that would be just wrong >>

Thanks!!
It is very explicit that tunes are illegal. I suppose it's the honor system on anything you might hide. How could they find a cam...
Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rickkym
I was wondering about this. The SCCA rules for stock classes say you can't change the computer

So how can this 'rule' be enforced?? And how can you regulate what changes are acceptable?

It's really just he honor system, right?

Thanks!!
It can be caught two ways:

1) Any car can be protested by it's competitors. The car will be impounded and a licensed tech can be brought in to check that the computer's parameters are all within stock ranges.

2) SCCA performs random checks at Tours and Nationals for rules compliance. They'll pull wheels and inspect the brakes and suspension, they'll check the computers for changes, they'll pull valve covers to look at the heads, they'll measure camber, check vehicle weight, etc. Sometimes these checks are for an entire class, an entire field, or for the top 5 cars in a class.

Penelties for those caught cheating can be minor or not (suspension) depending on the infraction. Usually penalties for rules violations that are hidden from plain view and are performance advantages, like valves or computer tuning, involve suspension from the SCCA for a period of time. They are strong penalties because the club relies on the honor system so much that intentionally cheating is not tollerated at all.

Things like getting the computer reprogrammed for the column lock recall are covered by dealer TSBs and as such are allowed in all SCCA classes as are any TSB repairs or modifications. If it's authorized by the manufacturer then it's a permitted modification.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Predator vs Vararam for Autocross

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Predator vs Vararam for Autocross