Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First outing on a roadcourse at VIR. Street tires OK?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:46 PM
jonecap
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First outing on a roadcourse at VIR. Street tires OK?

I'm headed out to VIR for first time on a roadcourse in a few weeks. I've been torn on whether to take my 96 LT4 or my '05 CTS-V daily driver. I'm pretty much decided on taking the Vette now. I'll be running BFG G force T/A's all the way around. Will I be Ok with that? I currently have Nitto NT555r drag radials on the back. I assume that is a no no for a road course.

I hate to invest in road race tires until I decide whether I'm going to go back or not.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:21 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

VIR is one of the easiest courses on tires, so your streets will be great. They will get some wear however, so don't expect them to be as quiet on the drive home as they are on the ride up.

Have Fun!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will be ok with street tires. a lot of organizations want the inexperienced on street tires for safety reasons. street tires let out noises that let the driver no you are near the limit of traction. you also learn to be smoother. r compound tires cover up some mistakes when your trying to learn which is not a good thing.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Agreed. Street tires is what you want for your first time out. I rushed into track tires a little too soon I think and now I really enjoy tracking my ZO6 with street tires. The speeds aren't as great, but the lack of traction (compared to a track tire) really forces you to be smooth with steering, throttle and braking input. I've learned way more on street tires than I have on track tires. Have fun.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

All really good advice and the same that I had gotten recently after wrapping up the season on street tires (GSD3) and wanting track tires.

Need to further develop my skills and probably by mid to late season next year will make the transition.

You will get some shredding..I did when a few of us ran WG in September - actually, made me proud and pinned a piece of rubber on my bulletin board...

lauri

BTW - gotta do the track in the vette!

and...as you see by my avatar, on street tires, pouring rain doesn't stop you!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

LISTEN TO YOUR TIRES!

Most street tires will tell you long before they give up grip. I've had more than one instructor that brings their car out to HPDE events and just run street tires. You will be fine on your street tires at VIR!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be more concerned about brakes more than anything else. My car with track pads can only do 3 or 4 hotlaps before you can hear the car's cry for help.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:51 PM
jonecap
Drifting

I'll stick with the street tire first time out. Thanks for the advice.

What kind of brake pads and brake fluid should I run?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jonecap
If this is truely your first time on a road course, then I would say you'll be fine with the stock brakes as long as you flush the fluid (I use Valvoline Synpower) and have plenty of pads left. You'll probably be so busy learning that you won't abuse the brakes too much. Besides, you don't want to be out there on your first day trying to bed in a new set of pads when you've never been on the track anyway. I am guessing you'll have an instructor in the car with you?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:44 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Street tires are fine, but how old are these? The rears at least should be no more than 3 years old. Older and they will just be too low in grip for you to have a lot of fun that you are paying for.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:23 PM
jonecap
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
If this is truely your first time on a road course, then I would say you'll be fine with the stock brakes as long as you flush the fluid (I use Valvoline Synpower) and have plenty of pads left. You'll probably be so busy learning that you won't abuse the brakes too much. Besides, you don't want to be out there on your first day trying to bed in a new set of pads when you've never been on the track anyway. I am guessing you'll have an instructor in the car with you?
I'll definitely flush the brake fluid and I'll try the Valvoline. Yes, I'm supposed to have an instructor at least for the first part of the day.

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Street tires are fine, but how old are these? The rears at least should be no more than 3 years old. Older and they will just be too low in grip for you to have a lot of fun that you are paying for.
The BFG's are probably about 3 years old. I don't run them on the rear of the car at all due to lack of traction in 1st and 2nd. I run Nitto NT555r drag radials on the street all the time. I will be putting the extra pair of BFG's on the car just for the track day.

Do you think a set of new Nitto NT555r drag radials would be better on a roadcourse than 3 year old BFG G-force T/As? I'm guessing not in the turns, but they are definitely better in a straight line.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I over heated the stock pads and had to exit the track on lap two at my first event. I highly recomend better pads, unless you won't drive hard at all. I like to push it!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I'll stick with the street tire first time out. Thanks for the advice.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/index.html

http://www.ctbrakes.com/products.html
bottom of page.
Brake Fluid Pricing
Brake Fluid Information and Resources
Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Do you think a set of new Nitto NT555r drag radials would be better on a roadcourse than 3 year old BFG G-force T/As? I'm guessing not in the turns, but they are definitely better in a straight line.

I doubt that the side walls on the drag radials are stiff enough to go around corners very fast. Run the BFG all the way around.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:37 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Don't run drag radials. As the others have said your street tires will be fine. I ran my F1's at Watkins with street pads (the tires only had 3000 miles on it along with the pads). The weather was cool like it should be when you go to VIR so excessive heat should not be a factor. Just make sure you check tire pressure. If your pads are good just in case bring an extra set. If something happens and you have a pad failure how are you getting home? Hawk HT-10 are good track pads; buy and extra set of rotors for insurance. Flush the brake fluid is good! Bring some extra oil; extra brake fluid; just enough tools to change pads; VIR is a great track to start on. Have fun!

Get notified of new replies

To First outing on a roadcourse at VIR. Street tires OK?

Quick Reply: First outing on a roadcourse at VIR. Street tires OK?