Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross wheel/tire recommendations for C6 Z51?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Idavette98
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross wheel/tire recommendations for C6 Z51?

What do you C6 guys run for autocross? - this is a bone stock 2008 C6 with the Z51 suspension/brake package.
Will be running Hoosier A6's, but size? CCW's are also on the list.
Really do not care if it stays in SS or moves to ASP due to wheel change. He just runs local events and not concerned about the class PAX penalty).
Just looking for some advice on what works best on a C6. (I'm a an old C5 guy, this is for my dad who couldn't resist the GM employee pricing last month.)

Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Really big difference between ASP and SS.

Wheel choice will be suboptimal in SS, but if that is your only mod--then you will be outclassed in the car dept---by more prepped ASP cars.

I am sure John (the owner), at CCW can fix you up with SS legal rims. But of course ASP wheels would probably be more on the order of at least 10-11" in the front, and 11 to 12" or even 13" in the rear like CCW's Corsair package---just not sure if that fits a C6 non Z06-----

Once you decide if you want stock size wheels or ASP hardware---then I would call CCW---I am sure some other guys will chime in that actually run C6's.

Steve Crotts----on these boards----runs a C6 in ASP, and it moves pretty well----I am pretty sure his wheels are bigger than stock---but I don't think monsters.

G.J. Dixon, nice guy, and great driver out of NY runs a C6 Z51 in SS----(lucky bastard won the Chev Rev It Up Car----ok maybe G.J. had some skills to win the car)----ps----he kinda reminds me of Dr. Evil, but much nicer.

Anyway....good luck

David
Old 11-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Idavette98
Racer

Thanks David.
I will give John at CCW a call. He fixed me up on my C5 with classics (12" rear, 11" front that don't rub).
I just don't know much about the C6(non-Z06) mods for autocross, so any advice is appreciated.
-Bob
Old 11-02-2008, 09:56 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

285/30/18's in the front and 315/35/18's in the back. i prefer Kumho v710's
Old 11-03-2008, 12:29 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If you stay in SS like I have in my C6 Z51, you can get a set of '08-'09 forged OEM wheels (referred to as 'Gumbys') occasionally from HouseofWheelsOnline.com or in the C6 Parts for Sale forum, usually for less then $1000/set. They are the lightest of the stock OEM wheels, and would save $1600 over a new set of CCW's if that matters to you. I suppose that CCW's may save you a few more ounces per wheel, though.

I have 285/18 and 315/19 Hoosier A6's on the Gumby wheels, and they fit just fine with about -2.0f / -1.1r camber. Remember that the C6 rear wheel diameter for stock classes is NINETEEN inches - not 18.

For ASP, you can obviously go with wider rims beyond the stock 8.5x18f and 19x10r, and use 18's instead of 19's in the rear to decrease the cost of tires somewhat. I use a set of 18x10f / 18x11r CCW C14's for HPDE's on the same car, and they fit perfectly.

Talk to John at CCW when you decide what class you want to run. He will set you up nicely.

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 11-03-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:31 PM
G.J. Dixon
Advanced

Hi Bob,

I'm using Hoosier A6's 295/30 R18 in the front and 315/30 R19 in the rear.

I would wait on the wheels until you get the rest of the car setup. The stock wheels are light enough to not make much of a difference over CCW's.

I'd work on more suspension setup with a front sway bar and shocks plus a good alignment over everything else.

PS- David, Thanks for the kind words!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Dave OH32
Instructor

Originally Posted by G.J. Dixon
GJ, you're a spitting image!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:27 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Lol
Old 11-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Idavette98
Racer

Thanks Guys.
Appreciate the help.
-Bob
Old 11-03-2008, 10:24 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by G.J. Dixon
I'm using Hoosier A6's 295/30 R18 in the front and 315/30 R19 in the rear.
Interesting that you went with 295's in front, G.J. - given that they are the exact same width as the 285's, only w/taller sidewalls. Did you get a chance to compare the two sizes on-course?

I struggled with these 2 sizes myself, opting for the 285s' supposed advantage in quicker steering response over the 295s' higher load rating, which could mean the fronts don't overheat as quickly. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I would wait on the wheels until you get the rest of the car setup. The stock wheels are light enough to not make much of a difference over CCW's.
That's what I was hinting at above...

I'd work on more suspension setup with a front sway bar and shocks plus a good alignment over everything else.
G.J. - I hear that you have Pfadt bar & shocks on your C6... Whatcha think ???
Old 11-04-2008, 07:06 AM
G.J. Dixon
Advanced

LOL

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
Interesting that you went with 295's in front, G.J. - given that they are the exact same width as the 285's, only w/taller sidewalls. Did you get a chance to compare the two sizes on-course?

I struggled with these 2 sizes myself, opting for the 285s' supposed advantage in quicker steering response over the 295s' higher load rating, which could mean the fronts don't overheat as quickly. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

That's what I was hinting at above...

G.J. - I hear that you have Pfadt bar & shocks on your C6... Whatcha think ???
I have tried both sizes and they both work well. I have not had enough testing time to see which one is actually better. The main reason why I went with the 295 is because of the height. It is more in line with the rear tire size and comparing to the stock tire heights. I also wasn't sure if the rotational difference would effect the ABS or stability program.

Corvettes are also very sensitive to ride height and corner weights, by using the 285 it may lower the front of the car too much upsetting the balance. I haven't determined if it does, but since I was heading to the SCCA Nationals at the time I purchased the tires. I didn't want to take any chances of doing development work there.

The Phadt bar and shocks are great. The car is still in development, testing out different things to find the best setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross wheel/tire recommendations for C6 Z51?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autocross wheel/tire recommendations for C6 Z51?